FL - 62 Year Old Security Guard Holds Bank Robber At Gunpoint

A 62-year-old off-duty security guard is being credited with thwarting an attempted bank robbery in Palm Bay this afternoon.

The attempted robbery occurred just before 2 p.m. at the Space Coast Credit Union at 150 Malabar Rd., not far from the Palm Bay Police Department headquarters.

“The robber was apprehended by a customer with a concealed weapons permit,” said Yvonne Martinez, spokeswoman for the Palm Bay Police Department.

The suspect, Floyd Francis, 23, was taken into custody after the off-duty security guard, identified as Rueben Torres, stepped out of the branch office and walked to the parking lot.

“I went to the car and got my weapon,” said Torres, who stopped off at the bank before heading to work. Torres then pulled his 9mm on the robber before he left the branch building.

“I guess it’s the New Yorker in me,” Torres said about his decision to get involved.

>snip<

"Mr. Torres' actions, while not encouraged, are appreciated and were very courageous," Lt. Mark Renkens said in a statement. "He took action to stop a crime in progress and fortunately made a positive difference in the outcome."

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...ty-security-guard-halts-Palm-Bay-bank-robbery.

Video of incident, and interview with Mr. Torres...

Last edited by a moderator:
If that was in Mass the cops would have disarmed the good guy, cuffed him, and hauled his ass down to the station and tore up his LTC. Gotta love any other state (except NY) than Mass.

I'm not risking my life or my freedom just for the bank's money.

I would say doing the right thing should always be enough to justify losing your freedom or your life. You'v got to be willing to help others so that it may be expected that they help you. IMO if you're not willing to be part of the solution, your complacency is part of the problem:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I say great job Mr. Torres!!

I would say doing the right thing should always be enough to justify losing your freedom or your life. You'v got to be willing to help others so that it may be expected that they help you. IMO if you're not willing to be part of the solution, your complacency is part of the problem
Quite to the contrary. I have taken positive steps to take care of myself in the face of violence. Most adults in this world have the same exact opportunities yet they deliberately decided to remain weak and powerless and let others take the risk and danger of defending them.

You know what? F people like that. They do not deserve my sacrifice.

God
Family
Self
Tribe

If you ain't in any of them groups, I do not know you and wouldn't piss on you if I saw you on fire.

God
Family
Self
Tribe

I could be wrong, but if you're at your own bank, aren't the odds pretty good that most of those people are in your Tribe? Don't include tribe if you're going to arbitrarily decide which of your neighbors live and die.

Back
Top Bottom