# for C&R eligibility

SKS Ray

NES Member
I'm looking for info on whether or not Cooey Model 82 training rifles are C&R eligible. I remember reading here that someone mentioned calling the ATF for a rifles status but all the numbers I have for the ATF are dead end leave a message numbers.
Anyone know which number I can call to talk to a person and find out C&R status?

The ATF has a published list of C&R guns and I believe its available online.

You can write to the director and request that it be placed on the C&R list for any of the applicable reasons.

EDIT: Here's the list......didn't see it on there but it may be in an update.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec2.htm

The first article I pulled up concerning the Cooey kind of indicates its C&R capability concerning the age of it if this is the gun in question.
See text below:

A true Canadian, the Cooey 39 single-shot .22 was very likely a first gun for most of us. The exact date of the 39?s introduction is unclear, but it came on the market just as World War II was breaking. Designed and built by Toronto-born Hubert Joseph Cooey at the family plant in Cobourg, Ontario, the Cooey 39 has earned a reputation for simplicity, ultra-reliability and safety.
The 39 is a great youngster?s gun?scaled to fit an adolescent comfortably and, at a trim four pounds, easy to carry. I remember walking the fields of Hastings County as a boy of 13 in search of the dreaded groundhog, Cooey 39 in hand. Cooey obviously understood his market when he designed this gun. Even with a cartridge in the chamber, the gun must be manually cocked by pulling back the bolt knob, making accidental discharges all but impossible.
The Cooey has always been affordable, unusual for a firearm that?s also inherently accurate. And it?s versatile, digesting short, long or long-rifle loads.
There are no accurate records of the number of Cooey 39s sold, but the number must be staggering. And, as a testament to durability, most are still in use today. To the probable annoyance of gun registration people, none of the Cooey 39s carries a maker?s serial number.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's 50 years old, you don't need no stinkin' list.

Thats just it, theres so little info on Cooey Model 82 trainers that no one seems to know dates by serial numbers.[thinking] Only serial number on these rifles is on the butt stock and mine has a high number. I know they were made during and continued to be made after WW2.

Thats just it, theres so little info on Cooey Model 82 trainers that no one seems to know dates by serial numbers.[thinking] Only serial number on these rifles is on the butt stock and mine has a high number. I know they were made during and continued to be made after WW2.

That's exactly what it boils down to. Since id doesn't seem to be on the list, you need to determine whether that particular rifle was made before March 1957. BATFE is unlikely to have much more information on that point than you might get from Google or here.

Ken

I recently applied for my C&R. I am confused about the 50year old inference. Does it mean that as long as the gun is 50 years old or older it can be purchased by a C&R holder? eg, a 50 year old S&W model 29?

yup.. anything 50 years old is considered C&R, plus anything that is less than 50 but is considered very collectible. Those are on a special list avail from the BATF's website.

Back
Top Bottom