• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R firearm to 01 dealer question

Oddone13

NES Member
I just recently got my c&r. I have a c&r eligible rifle that I have consigned to a local 01 FFL. Since all c&r firearms need to be recorded in my bound book while I have my license, do I put the gun stores information in the disposition part? If so do I need a copy of their FFL 01?

Or do I need the information of whoever buys it from the store?

Thanks guys

Edit: Off topic but c&r related. When buying a firearm from a Mass 01 FFL, do they do the Mass background check/registration or do we just exchange information (license copys, bill of sale) then I go home and FA10 register it myself with leaving the seller blank?

Enter into your BB to dealer and yes, you need a copy of his/her signed FFL and give them a copy of your signed C&R FFL.

I've had dealers in MA do it both ways, one eFA-10'd it and another just did the BB and I registered it.

@Len-2A Training I have one more question for you if you happen to know the answer.

I'm a Mass resident. Say there is a c&r eligible rifle for sale in CT that is owned by a private individual. Can I travel to his residence, purchase the rifle, give him a copy of my 03FFL, get a copy of his drivers license with a bill of sale, and come back to Massachusetts to register and log it legally?

Or does he have to mail the gun to me?

I am 99% sure the answer is no. CT law requires you have a CT Pistol Permit (Permit to carry pistols and revolvers) or a long gun certificate to receive a rifle. It makes no mention of 03FFLs or anything like that. The carve outs in CT laws that do exist for FFLs use the words "dealer" and "manufacturer" in referencing 01s and 07s respectively.

Is the CT resident willing to drive to MA. If he is, we're now dealing with MA laws. Which I know considerably less about, but others do know a lot about.

If MA law allows him to ship a C&R eligible firearm to an 03, then he could probably drive over the MA line and just hand it to you. You exchange receipts and do your book entries. You do your eFA10 entry if that's necessary. (I know nothing about how to do a collector to collector deal in MA)

It would seem that section h below would keep him legal as far as possession in MA is concerned. But again, there are others here who know much more than I do about MA law.

I am 99% sure the answer is no. CT law requires you have a CT Pistol Permit (Permit to carry pistols and revolvers) or a long gun certificate to receive a rifle. It makes no mention of 03FFLs or anything like that. The carve outs in CT laws that do exist for FFLs use the words "dealer" and "manufacturer" in referencing 01s and 07s respectively.

Is the CT resident willing to drive to MA. If he is, we're now dealing with MA laws. Which I know considerably less about, but others do know a lot about.

If MA law allows him to ship a C&R eligible firearm to an 03, then he could probably drive over the MA line and just hand it to you. You exchange receipts and do your book entries. You do your eFA10 entry if that's necessary. (I know nothing about how to do a collector to collector deal in MA)

It would seem that section h below would keep him legal as far as possession in MA is concerned. But again, there are others here who know much more than I do about MA law.

I think MA puts him in a similar situation, you need a permit to posses anything. Unless CT person has a Mass non-res I don’t see this working.

Back
Top Bottom