• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Framingham Police Officer Shot

First and foremost, prayers sent for the officer and his family. It is a terrible thing when people who set out to do good have their lives assaulted by people who have no regard. Being a cop is not unlike any other profession. If you work for a collection agency, your entire day is spent talking to the small percentage of the population who don't pay any bills so you start to think no one pays their bills. If you are a dentist and you spend your days filling cavities, you eventually get a skewed perception of how many people eat candy. LEO's are no different. They eventually forget that there are good people out there too OR they forget there are bad ones. The one major difference is that when an LEO's perception gets skewed one way or the other, they are either accused of brutality or they get killed because their guard is down. That's a thankless job with dire consequences. Be careful out there.

By the way, I was ok with this dude "falling out a third story window"

1116951533_4470.jpg

Not to get off track but if a guy was sitting in a room with you and your wife and he took your wife's gun and killed her, wouldn't you be justified to use "maximum force" in self defense? Why then are the police held to a higher standard? The guy above shot and killed an officer in the interrogation room with the officers gun.......ON TAPE! God forbid the cops killed him to stop the threat. They would be looking at an 8 digit law suit. Just because you are a LEO does not mean that your survival instincts don't kick in when your life is attacked. It's only natural. Give these guys a break! The dude was shot in the face! They SHOULD HAVE beat the shit out of the guy. You wouldn't hear me complain.

Last edited:
Tonight I had six shot go off 50 yards from me at a detail in the housing projects in Roslindale. I'm alone with backup at least a minute away searching wooded areas for two black males fleeing the scene with nothing but my G23 and Streamlight... you could have been reading about me next (though I highly doubt it). All the bullshit spewed in this thread doesn't change the fact that a brave officer wasn't as lucky as I was tonight and that our prayers should be with him, END OF DISCUSSION.

Tonight I had six shot go off 50 yards from me at a detail in the housing projects in Roslindale. I'm alone with backup at least a minute away searching wooded areas for two black males fleeing the scene with nothing but my G23 and Streamlight... you could have been reading about me next (though I highly doubt it). All the bullshit spewed in this thread doesn't change the fact that a brave officer wasn't as lucky as I was tonight and that our prayers should be with him, END OF DISCUSSION.

I'll echo your sentiment about our best wishes for the officer who was shot.
Good luck and be safe in your job too. Sounds like it's a rough one.

I've always held the belief that there are some people in this world that just need a good ass kicking. I just hope it never happens to the wrong person.

God bless this police officer and our hard working LEO. I just wish our justice system would put these scum bags in jail and throw away the keys!

Terraformer, check this out. DNA evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Everything else aside, I'll be praying for the cop and his family, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Terraformer, check this out. DNA evidence isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Everything else aside, I'll be praying for the cop and his family, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Yeah, that is definitely the cause of every person exonerated by DNA... Do you know how rare that is? There are only a few dozen known cases on a planet of 6 Billion.

FWIW, I also never mentioned DNA specifically, only science in general. And all of this was in response to one person's belief that beating a suspect if they "deserved" it was OK with them, so long as they thought for sure they had the right person. I wasn't bashing cops, or any other bull shit. I was simply pointing out that the "right person" isn't always so easy to find hence why we offer protection to criminals and elements of society who, for the most part, don't really deserve it. But we should give it anyway, because there will be some who do deserve it and their freedom is far more important than the beating a bad guy got to escape.

Yeah, that is definitely the cause of every person exonerated by DNA... Do you know how rare that is? There are only a few dozen known cases on a planet of 6 Billion.

FWIW, I also never mentioned DNA specifically, only science in general. And all of this was in response to one person's belief that beating a suspect if they "deserved" it was OK with them, so long as they thought for sure they had the right person. I wasn't bashing cops, or any other bull shit. I was simply pointing out that the "right person" isn't always so easy to find hence why we offer protection to criminals and elements of society who, for the most part, don't really deserve it. But we should give it anyway, because there will be some who do deserve it and their freedom is far more important than the beating a bad guy got to escape.

They can only prove it in cases where a woman has given birth, because the child (obviously) came from her. The overwhelming majority of criminals are male. Most people who talk about science proving innocence are referring to DNA testing. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. I also agree with everything else that you said, street justice doesn't work IMO, I'm not arguing that.

Something that occurred to me earlier though...imagine being the wife and kids of the cop who came home with a GSW to the face. I can't imagine what things are like for his friends and family right now. I knew a cop who died in the hospital after "non-life-threatening" gun shot wounds, caused by a bloodclot that went to his brain.

I bet his family loses a lot of sleep over this, no matter how it turns out.

Attack on officer followed robbing of cabbie
Framingham police hunting a 2d suspect
Sahr W. Josiah, 22, arrived for his arraignment yesterday to face charges including armed robbery and assault with intent to kill. (Allan Jung/ By John R. Ellement
/ April 16, 2009
FRAMINGHAM - Police Officer Phillip Hurton only had time to raise his hands - and then the bullets slammed into him.

The assailant "fired two shots from a firearm at Officer Hurton, striking him in the face and wrists" on Tuesday night, Framingham police wrote in a report filed in court. "Officer Hurton immediately spun around and was staggered."

Yesterday, police said in the report that Hurton was in serious but stable condition at Massachusetts General Hospital with a bullet lodged in his neck, a shattered jaw, major injuries to his right hand, and a shattered bone in a finger of his left hand.

Hurton was shot on Beaver Street as he and other officers rushed to capture two men who had allegedly robbed a Tommy's Taxi driver of $50 in cash and a cellphone about 10:30 p.m.

"He will recover," said Lieutenant Paul Shastany.

Police arrested Sahr W. Josiah, 22, who they believe fired the shots. The second suspect is still at large and sought by police.

Marcia Moreia was in her home on neighboring First Street at the time. "I heard, like, four or five gunshots," said Moreia, whose husband parks his tractor trailer unit near the site of the shooting. She grabbed her children and brought them into her bedroom.

"You can see the shadows in my eyes because I did not sleep too much," she said.

Hurton was pulled to safety by Officer Timothy O'Toole, and then Josiah ran behind AV's Market on Beaver Street and into the parking lot of a shipping company - where he fired at undercover officers, shattering the window of at least one cruiser, police said.

"They returned fire," Shastany said, but the shots missed the gunman.

Through his lawyer, Josiah pleaded not guilty at his arraignment yesterday in Framingham District Court but did not enter the courtroom. Judge Paul Healy Jr. ordered him held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing tomorrow.

His lawyer, Charles Hughes, declined to comment.

Josiah is facing 19 charges, including unlawful possession of a firearm, second offense, based on his 2005 conviction in Dorchester Juvenile Court for possession of a firearm and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, according to the police report.

Other charges include two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and armed robbery.

A .40 caliber bullet was found in Josiah's pocket, and police recovered a handgun that might have been used, according to a law enforcement source who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case. It was not known yesterday whether Hurton was hit by .40 caliber bullets.

Hurton is married and has been a police officer for five years. He was recently transferred to Framingham from the Wayland department, Shastany said.

The events that led to the shooting of Hurton began around 10:30 p.m. when Leon Wilson, a veteran driver for Tommy's Taxi, backed his yellow-and-red Ford Crown Victoria into the driveway of an Alexander Street apartment building.

Suddenly, two men were standing on opposite sides of the taxi, each pointing a black handgun at the 71-year-old Wilson, police said, adding that Josiah repeatedly threatened to kill Wilson if he did not do as ordered.

Wilson, who was robbed at knifepoint in Boston about a decade ago, handed over $50 in cash and his cellphone and the robbers fled. Wilson, according to the report, pulled out his own firearm and ran after the suspects, losing them about a block away.

Other officers spotted the suspects, leading to the confrontation that left Hurton wounded.

Wilson, through his supervisor, Jo-Anne Thompson of Tommy's Taxi, declined to comment.

Thompson described Wilson as a longtime employee who was traumatized by the incident, but who also planned to work his regular shift last night. "He had a gun pointed to his head, so he is very shaken up, but he is fine," said Thompson. "He's a young 71. He's an active guy."

John Ellement can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...officer_followed_robbing_of_cabbie/?page=full

© Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company.

Thank you for your service and your presence on this board.

Is it wrong for me to hope that when they finally caught this guy, he put up a struggle that justified a beating in return?

Is it wrong for me to hope that when they finally caught this guy, he put up a struggle and they beat him so badly that he and his family suffered for weeks on end while he clings to life racking up too many bills to count only to die in the end?

That's fine to.

I can't imagine being in the situation you describe.

Thank you for your public service.

Best,

Rich

The people who are bashing the police in this thread should be ashamed of themselves. There are plenty of other threads here where you can bash away at officers who have done something wrong, I am the first to admitt when a fellow officer is in the wrong..... But this thread is about a brave officer shot in the face and hand doing the right thing. Looking out for your safety. Trying to do a good job so people wont bash police.

He was doing the right thing and people still think its appropriate to bash. There are no reports that the BAD GUY was abused in any way. So take your bashing to the other 3 million threads here bashing LEO's (some of them deservedly so) but leave this one for the praise that Off. Phil Hurton and Framingham Police deserve in this matter
I don't think anyone was bashing LEOs at all, but you're right in the fact that this thread shouldn't be a soapbox for anything other than wishing this officer well.

Damn bro, that's scary. Stay safe out there.

Last edited:
My family is involved in Framingham politics, and we know some of the guys at the PD. This is very sad. We don't know them well enough to get info, but it will be even more sad if we know him.
This kind of thing sucks.

Last edited:
Beatings

I've always held the belief that there are some people in this world that just need a good ass kicking. I just hope it never happens to the wrong person.

God bless this police officer and our hard working LEO. I just wish our justice system would put these scum bags in jail and throw away the keys!
I am a big fan of a good beating to a criminal who assaults, runs away from a cop trying to arrest him or her, especially someone fleeing in a car causing a high speed chase that endangers the lives of cops and civilians, and anyone who shoots a cop. Then some waterboarding when they get to the station to extract an info related to the crime.

officer shot

I dont like police as a whole,how ever my take is they should learn to shoot straight,and do it.the perp shot at the cop the cops should shoot back and eliminate the problem.any one that shoots at a cop deserves to be killed.when I grew up the officer on the beat was well known and he was refered to as office john or harry or.he knew us and we knew him and respected him.they eed to be on the beat and know the naborhood.bet go in twos with a car near by.

Back
Top Bottom