FYI - my experience purchasing silver with a specific dealer

RLBreton

NES Member
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good as any--presuming anyone int he Survival Forum is at least considering PM purchasing. I made a really small purchase from a dealer out of FL (Straight Silver) around this time last year - literally 3oz in fractional bars to give as gifts to my nieces\nephews - and was very happy. 2 days ago, I received a call from them. No problem, right? Here's the call:

Sales Weasel: "Hi Randy, if you've been paying close attention to the market, you know its a great time to buy. I'd like to send you 100oz, how would you like to pay for it?"
Me: "I'm sorry, did you literally just tell me to pay for 100oz of silver I didn't order?"
Sales Weasel: "Well, it's a great time to buy so I'd like to send you 100oz of silver, how would you like to pay for it?"
Me: "I wouldn't. That's not how to do business, man. Take me off the list."
Sales Weasel: "There is no list, you're my customer."
Me: "Are you serious? Not anymore I'm not. Take me off the list, lose my number, and don't call me again."
Sales Weasel: "But..."
Me: [click]

I have received 4 calls in the past 2 days which starts and ends with me stating "take me off the list." while the sales guy is talking over me stating "You're my customer." Not sure where to go next other than calling the BBB in Miami.

Caveat emptor, kids.

I believe the sales weasel was asserting that you were his customer since the law on the "do not call list" does not apply to "customers". Only cold calls are prohibited.

He's just a shifty, technically law abiding, a sales weasel.

I believe the sales weasel was asserting that you were his customer since the law on the "do not call list" does not apply to "customers". Only cold calls are prohibited.

He's just a shifty, technically law abiding, a sales weasel.

Exactly, hence the title I've given him. And FWIW, I use the term "sales weasel" with a little cheekiness--my old man was a successful sales weasel for 40+ years [grin]

Is it a one man shop or a large shop? I would send an email to the president or owner explaining exactly what happened. Provide names and dates, times of calls, what was said etc. Tell them to remove your name from their call lists. Tell them that if the calls do not stop you will notify the BBB and furthermore will put the info into every internet business site you can find. If it doesnt stop then I would do just that.

Tell him to ship the silver, and you will mail a check when it arrives.

If you have time to mess with him.

Ask him all sorts of annoying questions.
Ask him to hold a lot. Put phone down for ten minutes and come back eating food.
Get in a fake argument with an imaginary person
Put a child on the phone with him
Pretend to masturbate (or masturbate for real)

He will stop calling you.

Because he called you, you do not really know who was calling and who they represent. It could have been more than a weasel - it could have been a scam phishing for your CC#.

I NEVER conduct business on the phone unless I do the calling.

Absolutely nothing. I suppose the harassment will continue until I change my #....thus the 'caveat emptor' [rolleyes]

Call your cell service provider and have them block the #. If they call you it will not go through at all.

BTW I know of the company you are talking about and they are as bad as mall gold buyers. I've been in the numismatic business for about 3 years and have a DBA In FL and soon in CT. I buy sell and trade at shows and rarely buy bullion from anyone without a website and I don't trust those brokers who advertise on TV and stuff. If you are in the market for silver, check out APMEX.com and websites like Silvertowne.com (spelling?). Usually you can get good pricing on bullion from sellers who buy directly from the mints.

-Dave

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good as any--presuming anyone int he Survival Forum is at least considering PM purchasing. I made a really small purchase from a dealer out of FL (Straight Silver) around this time last year - literally 3oz in fractional bars to give as gifts to my nieces\nephews - and was very happy. 2 days ago, I received a call from them. No problem, right? Here's the call:

Sales Weasel: "Hi Randy, if you've been paying close attention to the market, you know its a great time to buy. I'd like to send you 100oz, how would you like to pay for it?"

How about the barter method? Send it to me insured, and when I get it I will send you an item (postage due) from my pile of excess unwanted gifts and household items that I GUARANTEE will increase in value over the coming years.

Help him get in touch with the Nigerian prince that called a couple of days ago. Maybe they can help each other out...

Back
Top Bottom