Georgia on my mind

quinnjalan

NES Member
So last week my better 1/2 said we should move North Carolina or Georgia over New Hampshire. This week it’s only Georgia as North Carolina is too flat, I’m okay with that. Currently we are in Commichusetts. For years I’m talking about moving to New Hampshire when I get done working, which will be in 1275 days (less vacation time), not that I’m counting.

We are both kinda done with winters but if we didn’t have to go out in a snowstorm we’d be okay with it. However, I would like a warmer climate. I’m off the boat Irish, so milder winters I could get used too again.

Once we sell here we’ll have money to buy a house and some land. I’d like a few hundred acres with a house in the middle. My better 1/2 is good with that also. Ideally the land will have some elevation/views.

So, talk to me about Georgia.

So last week my better 1/2 said we should move North Carolina or Georgia over New Hampshire. This week it’s only Georgia as North Carolina is too flat, I’m okay with that. Currently we are in Commichusetts. For years I’m talking about moving to New Hampshire when I get done working, which will be in 1275 days (less vacation time), not that I’m counting.

We are both kinda done with winters but if we didn’t have to go out in a snowstorm we’d be okay with it. However, I would like a warmer climate. I’m off the boat Irish, so milder winters I could get used too again.

Once we sell here we’ll have money to buy a house and some land. I’d like a few hundred acres with a house in the middle. My better 1/2 is good with that also. Ideally the land will have some elevation/views.

NC has more mountainous terrain than GA. As for retiring in a few years, I would look at which state is more tax-friendly for retirees.

Couple hundred acres? You got mid 7 figures money? Only thing ive seen around here are 10+ million easy

Ga within 40 miles of atl (where most of the mountains are). Is very expensive.

North and east of the city are hugely populated... think an are half the size of mass with as many people .

West and south are pretty country.

Southeast by @allen-1 is basically Florida with income tax. valdosta is a cool town

Cairo and south of that is cool.

Province canyon area is nice.

I am moving to newnan in a few weeks... got a new house and 5 acres for 500k

There are a few other houses going up for sale in my development(no hoa) if you want to pm me

Up by tenn south carolina is nice as well just getting pricey

Gingers need lots of spf 100. And wear protective clothing to keep Mr. Sun from doing his skin burning work. [laugh]

Anything with no snow or ice will be humid just the nature of thing's
Unless your going out west
Southern Ga is like Northern Fl.
But 2 growing seasons is a plus as well as riding 300+ days a year
And if you still like Nascar within 4 hrs of multiple tracks

My daughter and her husband moved near Athens, GA. They like it but they also moved there about 5 years ago while the getting was good...relatively cheap prices on housing etc. She was telling me that house prices in her area have almost doubled since they bought their place, a good sized ranch style house on 7ish acres. I think they paid around $165K.

Couple hundred acres? You got mid 7 figures money? Only thing ive seen around here are 10+ million easy

Ga within 40 miles of atl (where most of the mountains are). Is very expensive.

North and east of the city are hugely populated... think an are half the size of mass with as many people .

West and south are pretty country.

Southeast by @allen-1 is basically Florida with income tax. valdosta is a cool town

Cairo and south of that is cool.

Province canyon area is nice.

I am moving to newnan in a few weeks... got a new house and 5 acres for 500k

There are a few other houses going up for sale in my development(no hoa) if you want to pm me

Up by tenn south carolina is nice as well just getting pricey
Might have to redial the 200 acres by the time we make a move. Thanks for the PM offer but we are not even close to doing anything. This is just some long range planning.

Might have to redial the 200 acres by the time we make a move. Thanks for the PM offer but we are not even close to doing anything. This is just some long range planning.
These houses are to be built over 2 years so no doubt.

You can get 60 un developed for around 700k

But if you want a house on it it's most likely cleared and is gonna cost some money

My daughter and her husband moved near Athens, GA. They like it but they also moved there about 5 years ago while the getting was good...relatively cheap prices on housing etc. She was telling me that house prices in her area have almost doubled since they bought their place, a good sized ranch style house on 7ish acres. I think they paid around $165K.
Athens looks like a nice place. House prices everywhere are gone nuts. By the time we move I’m hoping for a market correction.

These houses are to be built over 2 years so no doubt.

You can get 60 un developed for around 700k

But if you want a house on it it's most likely cleared and is gonna cost some money
We are looking at 330 acres in NH with an extra lot/house for close to 900k now. Can’t afford to buy without selling our current, but something like that is what we are after…..long run.

Athens looks like a nice place. House prices everywhere are gone nuts. By the time we move I’m hoping for a market correction.
Yup, when we bought this place here in Southern MO a little over three years ago, we paid just about 100K....house, barn, 10+ acres of fields and surrounded by small, family run cattle farms. The agent that helped us buy the place told us that we could easily double our money now if we were to sell the property. I ain't moving again.

Last edited:
Athens looks like a nice place.

Scout it out sooner rather than later.
We looked at Athens as a prospect but passed on it. Can't remember why. Might have been the cost of living.
The in-laws live in Monroe, moved there not long ago from Lawernceville. They left because "Atlanta is spreading out here".

Scout it out sooner rather than later.
We looked at Athens as a prospect but passed on it. Can't remember why. Might have been the cost of living.
The in-laws live in Monroe, moved there not long ago from Lawernceville. They left because "Atlanta is spreading out here".
Actually, Monroe is where my daughter and her husband moved to...

We are looking at 330 acres in NH with an extra lot/house for close to 900k now. Can’t afford to buy without selling our current, but something like that is what we are after…..long run.
Also look east of chattenooga tn... it's on the ga line and might have what you're looking for

I've been in the northern Atlanta suburbs for nearly six years. New construction (both homes and apartments) is still going strong and prices continue to increase. I like it, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be sticking around.

You can find larger (100+ acre) properties with an existing home, but those under a million are few and far between.

2 hours to Atlanta and 1 hour to Chattanooga

There seem to be more options south of Atlanta, but the terrain is a bit more flat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom