Getting a gun permit in Brooklyn

Good luck! Not only will you need about $400+ but you will also probably need to know the mayor.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/handgun_licensing_information.shtml

Since Brooklyn is part of NYC, I'd suspect that that would be a bare minimum. When my wife was looking to move to our house on Long Island after retirement, I asked a friend who was an attorney there what kind of connections I'd need to get one in Southampton. His was reply was that most judges he knows don't have those sorts of connections.

Ken

It can be done

Carry is indeed a near impossibility, but a "mere mortal" with a clean record can obtain a NYC premises - residence pistol license from the NYPD. Total cost is somewhere around $400 (good for up to 3 years), it will require at least 5 trips to 1 Police Plaza to get your first pistol, and it will take anywhere from 3 months (the least I've ever heard) up to 8 months or more, shading towards the high end of that range, just to get the license.

It wasn't clear from the original post, but in case you meant "rifle" or "shotgun" rather than [hand]gun, you would need to get a separate license from a different office of the NYPD License Division located in Queens called the Rifle/Shotgun Section. Less money, probably a little less time, certainly fewer trips.

If you haven't already gathered, please understand that they really, REALLY don't want regular citizens to possess handguns or long guns of any sort whatsoever, and have basically made it as painful and inconvenient as they think they can. NYC takes the "may" of "may issue" and reads it as "reluctantly, eventually may issue".

I'd be happy to explain further online or via PM/phone. Good luck either way, and try not to let them discourage you!

Since Brooklyn is part of NYC, I'd suspect that that would be a bare minimum. When my wife was looking to move to our house on Long Island after retirement, I asked a friend who was an attorney there what kind of connections I'd need to get one in Southampton. His was reply was that most judges he knows don't have those sorts of connections.

Ken

The fees may be paid by credit card or in the form of two U.S. POSTAL OR BANK-DRAWN MONEY ORDERS, made payable to the New York City Police Department, CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED. Make sure that you save the receipt for your application fee given to you by the cashier. This receipt is proof of payment and contains your application number, which is required for any subsequent inquiries regarding the status of your application.

Cash is NOT accepted? WTF. I don't think I've ever heard that before...

I have run into "cash not accepted" all over the place, including the Mass. Dept. Of Revenue Child Support Enforcement division.

I always ask why someone wont take cash,and they give some bs excuse, to which I reply "If they don't trust a government employee in charge of collecting money not to steal it, there is a problem"

Cash frequently "disappears" and is an accounting nightmare. Thus, most want checks so that it can be tracked and is less likely to be stolen by "public servants"!

Not at all surprising cash is not accepted

I concur with LenS and Glockaholic. In the case of the NYPD License Division, the cynical view (which I share) is that they require postal money orders just to add another hurdle to the application process. If you read carefully, you'll see that you actually need THREE money orders, not just two, because there's no way to tell in advance whether or not you'll be fingerprinted manually or electronically on the "LIVE SCAN" machine. They have an electronic machine at 1PP room 110 (and in Queens at the Rifle/Shotgun section), but if they can't (or won't) fingerprint you with the electronic machine for whatever reason, then they have to do it manually. Since the price is $11 higher for manual vs. electronic fingerprints, you'll need a $340 money order for the application fee, a $94.25 money order for the fingerprint fee (assuming electronic fingerprints), and an $11.00 money order for the increased cost "just in case" they have to do manual, rather than electronic, fingerprints.

NYPD now takes credit cards

Just learned the other day that they have updated their website to indicate that the license application fees may now be paid by credit card. Will wonders never cease....

Cash frequently "disappears" and is an accounting nightmare. Thus, most want checks so that it can be tracked and is less likely to be stolen by "public servants"!

I have been a NYC pistol and rifle permit holder for over 30 years, and remember when it cost only $75 for a pistol license. But-you had to belong to and be an active member of a gun club. Plus, you had to take a gun safety course. Some years later, they removed the requirements and tripled the cost, proving that they were more concerned with making money than having gun owners that were both safe and regular shooters. Back then, it was near impossible to get a carry permit. I worked for a family business and went to the bank daily, but most of the money involved was checks and only about $10,000 cash on payday. My arguemnt was that any criminal would see my activity and target me. They would not ask if I were carrying cash before attacking me. The cities stand was that unless you carry $2000 every day, you are denied.

Also, back then they had 3 distinct permits-carry, target, and premise. With a target, you were not allowed to keep the gun loaded in the home and use it for self defense. In fact, a someone I knew did so and prevented an attack, and was promptly arrested and had their permit revoked. The city questioned how they were able to get their gun from the locked case and loaded fast enough to prevent themselves from being harmed. And, their final message was that next time, they would have to succomb and be a victom because they could no longer legally own a firearm. With a premise permit, you were only allowed to bring it to a range 2 times a year, and you had to write to the NYPD and receive written approval both times so your range time had to be planned months in advance. One would question their reasoning, since most people would want, no encourage, any homeowner with a gun to have sufficient practice with their gun. But, the city had other ideas. If you wanted to protect your house AND get to practice, you had to fork over the cash for both permits.

Now, the target and premise permits are combined for a much higher fee.

Regarding the cash policy-in 1986 I took the test to become a NYC police officer. They would only accept a certified check or money order for the test and fingerprint fee. Thus, they did not even trust those applying to become cops.

I also have a friend who moved and never got his renewal form. Apparantly it does not get forwarded to his new address. But, the NYPD obviously knew where his new location was, because they immediately went to his house and confiscated all of his guns. It took him years to get them back.

Last edited:
I also have a friend who moved and never got his renewal form. Apparantly it does not get forwarded to his new address. But, the NYPD obviously knew where his new location was, because they immediately went to his house and confiscated all of his guns. It took him years to get them back.

I wouldn't live in that city if it was the last place on earth. The NYPD is a bunch of jackbooted gestapo. If I ever have to work there, I will take the damn train in from CT or Long Island.

being originally from Washington Heights (Manhattan), I'm going to buy my pops a bottle, and one for me too - after reading this.

I wouldn't live in that city if it was the last place on earth. The NYPD is a bunch of jackbooted gestapo. If I ever have to work there, I will take the damn train in from CT or Long Island.

The one time within the last 30 years that I had to attend a business conference in NYC, I did exactly that. Stayed in Orange, CT and took their commuter rail to NYC. Since my late friend's Son is NYPD, he gave me a lift to the conference hotel. My only other experiences with NYPD was with a bunch of them during a 17 day tour in Israel 20 years ago. I guess they all left their jackboots at home. [wink]

Regardless, I still hate NY! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom