Getting a new/replacement LTC Card

So I just bought my first house, and now that I'm solidly grounded in one spot for the next 30 years [laugh] I would like to get a new LTC that matches the address of my DL. I've done some searching both on here and google and haven't found any definitive answers. Just wondering if this is possible, what it costs, and what the steps are to do?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I would inform your local PD that you are now a resident. When I did this they said a new Permit was not necessary and when it expired I would just get a new one with the right address. This was NH so take that for what it's worth. Regardless, be pro-active about it and it's probably not a big issue.

You've been on NES long enough to see the hundreds of posts on the procedure to NOTIFY 3 entities on any move . . . it's also published in first page or two of The Outdoor Message every month. So I won't bore you with that . . .

MA does NOT issue a new LTC for an address (or even a name) change! Best suggestion is a stick-on label with new address just like they did/do for DLs. Can you run into a dealer who won't sell to you because of the address change? Yes . . . but the state doesn't care and they have made no provisions to "do the right thing" even for money. [thinking]

What do you expect from MA? [rolleyes]

Same process in CT...whether you move in state or out of state you just email your new address and keep it...you could say you lost it and for $5 get a new one....maybe you could do the same in Mass?

What Lens said, just make sure it's certified mail when you send to the three parties (CHB, old PD, new PD). Also, just in case you have a non-resident NH permit and wondering how it impacts the address on that permit- it doesn't, when I moved I called to notify NH and they acknowledged my new address but said they do not issue new permits for changes of address.

You've been on NES long enough to see the hundreds of posts on the procedure to NOTIFY 3 entities on any move . . . it's also published in first page or two of The Outdoor Message every month. So I won't bore you with that . . .

MA does NOT issue a new LTC for an address (or even a name) change! Best suggestion is a stick-on label with new address just like they did/do for DLs. Can you run into a dealer who won't sell to you because of the address change? Yes . . . but the state doesn't care and they have made no provisions to "do the right thing" even for money. [thinking]

What do you expect from MA? [rolleyes]

I'm fully aware of what to do for an address change, I'm more interested in getting a NEW license with my new address on it. Whatever it costs. I just figured that in the instance I ever had to show that in conjunction with my DL, the two would match. You say they wont issue a new one, but what if I had a boating accident and my wallet to sink and my license was with it? [wink]

I'm fully aware of what to do for an address change, I'm more interested in getting a NEW license with my new address on it. Whatever it costs. I just figured that in the instance I ever had to show that in conjunction with my DL, the two would match. You say they wont issue a new one, but what if I had a boating accident and my wallet to sink and my license was with it? [wink]

I understand and agree with you that they should re-issue with changes for a fee ($5-10), but they won't. I also have no idea if the new address (after notification) populates the online dealer system . . . if so this is a non-issue. If you are friendly with a dealer, you could always ask them (or one here on NES could pipe up with the answer). No idea if you lost it what the new one would read like (new or old address).

Although I understand your concern:

- In >30 years of having a LTC, nobody has ever asked to also see my DL.
- I don't know if the RMV will even re-issue a DL with the new address. Last I knew they told people to put a sticker with new address on their DL.
- If you are buying from a dealer who knows you, I doubt it would be an issue. If you bop into a store you've no experience with, it could go either way.

One alternative that could be a bigger hassle than it's worth is to ask old PD to expire your LTC early and file for new LTC in new town. Additional $100 fee and new expiration date if they will do it. Some will, and some won't. Personally I wouldn't waste my money like that.

I understand and agree with you that they should re-issue with changes for a fee ($5-10), but they won't. I also have no idea if the new address (after notification) populates the online dealer system . . . if so this is a non-issue. If you are friendly with a dealer, you could always ask them (or one here on NES could pipe up with the answer). No idea if you lost it what the new one would read like (new or old address).

Although I understand your concern:

- In >30 years of having a LTC, nobody has ever asked to also see my DL.
- I don't know if the RMV will even re-issue a DL with the new address. Last I knew they told people to put a sticker with new address on their DL.
- If you are buying from a dealer who knows you, I doubt it would be an issue. If you bop into a store you've no experience with, it could go either way.

One alternative that could be a bigger hassle than it's worth is to ask old PD to expire your LTC early and file for new LTC in new town. Additional $100 fee and new expiration date if they will do it. Some will, and some won't. Personally I wouldn't waste my money like that.

Ya sounds like it might just not be worth it. I'm just a stickler for having things match. As for my DL I need a new picture because you can't even tell its me anymore so I need a new one all together. Looks like I'll just deal with it. I was thinking in one of those instances during a traffic stop and they ask if you have a weapon blah blah blah and you start showing all these forms of ID and they dont jive with one another it could just be a real PITA

Cops are used to change of address on DLs being stickers, so it wouldn't be a big deal to them.

Dealers on the other hand sometimes know nothing of the laws or common sense . . .

Back
Top Bottom