Getting "tactical" at the range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen guys at tac'd out, practicing carbine to side arm transitions, seemed like decent practice to me. If there were pulling combat slides into the lanes I'd probably wtf?? the situation.

In contrast, the other day a guy in camo pants muzzle swept me with a tac'd out Mini-30 and that was the gheyest thing that has ever happened to me at the range.

I'd be all for it. If you are going to have that gear for some scenario, you'd be crazy not to train with it. I wouldn't be above wearing your kit to train on the range. Hell, wear a helmet if you want to. You don't want to end up needing all that one day and then finding you can't get cheek weld with it on at the worst possible time.

I mean, this whole post is kind of dumb, you might as well go "Hey, I saw some guys shooting guns, is that OK? Shouldn't we ban those things because I don't use them, not my thing. OK cool just checking." How about you just let people do things that perhaps aren't your cup of tea. I'm sure they weren't like "Hey did you see that guy sitting at the bench slowly shooting? We should make fun of that guy and possible report him to range officer."

If I saw a bunch of guys running around in full camo, vets, helmets, and radio mics I wouldn't say boo. I might ask how I could join. Sitting at a bench slowly shooting rounds is completely unrealistic.

Im the guy who just throws Mags (or clips if using my sks) in his cargo pockets. The way I look at it, theres a 99% chance im wearing cargo pants on any given day. Im always pulling tools out of them while working, so grabbing mags from them feels natural.

I've never done it but I'd like to try it for fun. I just don't have the money to buy all that stuff. Hell, I tried cowboy shooting and that was fun. And, I sure aint no cowboy. I imagine tactical style shooting would be fun too. And, I sure aint no tactical operator.

I mean, this whole post is kind of dumb, you might as well go "Hey, I saw some guys shooting guns, is that OK? Shouldn't we ban those things because I don't use them, not my thing. OK cool just checking." How about you just let people do things that perhaps aren't your cup of tea. I'm sure they weren't like "Hey did you see that guy sitting at the bench slowly shooting? We should make fun of that guy and possible report him to range officer."

^^^ this

I haven't shot Steel Challenge or IDPA in a few years,but there was always some clown all decked out ready to land in the hot zone,I would have been impressed if they could shoot.

Most of the time it was all show and and no go.

Last edited:
It would be fun to take a class where you learn that kind of stuff. If nothing else it looks fun as hell. There is certainly nothing wrong with knowing how to operate a rifle like your life depends on it. However, I'm of the opinion that if the SHTF all the people running around like this are going to be among the first to die.
TNPers for the win. Don't hate on em. ;)
Don't worry, you'll grow out of it [wink]

I took a carbine course once and they didn't even have benches set up. People were carrying extra rifle mags all over the place. And on top of that, everyone had loaded pistols in holsters while they were moving around shooting rifles!!! It was so traumatic that I've forgotten most of it, but I'm pretty sure about half of the class got killed. [hmmm]
I remember one of those, but worse.

Some people were moving and shooting ahead of the line of fire when it was hot.

Holy shit I needed a cigarette after that.

Saturday morning while getting everything together to go to the outdoor range, my son came down dressed in camo pants and an ARMY shirt. I got a chuckle out of it. So did he when I had him doing this,

View attachment 26892

I wish the range would allow us to do more...
Did he shoulder roll? [wink]

I would have, but it sucks when you have a grade 2 AC shoulder separation.

The other time I'd have to call bullshit is if the person can't shoot worth a shit or if they're too fat to move. Nothing against fatties, I was heavy for 32 years or whatever, but if you're gonna show up to the range all tacticool you ought to be able to at least get out of your own way.

I disagree, I think these are the guys that should train the most, they are the ones that are going to be standing still and will need the quick reloads

I was at the range saturday and I was running drills with my friends and I looked over and saw some guy standing still shooting hundreds of rounds at the same area. then he sat resting on a bench shooting at a target. When will you ever have that much time to stop and bench rest when being attacked.

[laugh2]

Got one of these clowns in every club. It don't take long for "If you're not running around like your being attacked, you shouldn't be enjoying shooting" guy to out himself.

The vast majority of people at my club go there to shoot steel, paper, golf balls, pictures of osama bin laden, etc. and the thought of being attacked is their last concern. What is wrong with those people? Nothing. They're there to do what they like to do. Don't you realize that people have other interests than you that are just as entertaining, just as legitimate, and just as worthy of a day at the range as you?

Just because someone isn't running around like a chicken without a head, pretending they're getting attacked, doesn't mean that their reason for shooting isn't every bit as good as yours is.

Last edited:
Honestly, the original post smells of fuddery. WGAF what people do at the range if they're being safe and enjoying themselves. Isn't that the point? Have fun, be safe, go home.

Amen to that. When I read the OP, I thought to myself... Isn't going to the range for YOUR benefit to "practice" and/or "train" for yourself. That was a classic example of the old bag Fudd mentallity that is plauged at Rod and Gun clubs everywhere.

Whether those guys were mall ninjas or regular citizens, or people using firearms for their line of work etc, I say: "Train how you fight." That's what practice is for.

I've never done it but I'd like to try it for fun. I just don't have the money to buy all that stuff. Hell, I tried cowboy shooting and that was fun. And, I sure aint no cowboy. I imagine tactical style shooting would be fun too. And, I sure aint no tactical operator.

Condor. It's not the greatest stuff made, but it's decent and certainly better than nothing. You can get a carrier for under $100 and a triple (holds 6) mag pouch for under $30.

[laugh2]

Got one of these clowns in every club. It don't take long for "If you're not running around like your being attacked, you shouldn't be enjoying shooting" guy to out himself.

The vast majority of people at my club go there to shoot steel, paper, golf balls, pictures of osama bin laden, etc. and the thought of being attacked is their last concern. What is wrong with those people? Nothing. They're there to do what they like to do. Don't you realize that people have other interests than you that are just as entertaining, just as legitimate, and just as worthy of a day at the range as you?

Just because someone isn't running around like a chicken without a head, pretending they're getting attacked, doesn't mean that their reason for shooting isn't every bit as good as yours is.

This. I shoot far more skeet these days than I do pistol or rifle.

If you're running around shooting, training, wear what you plan on wearing if you had to be in a situation that you were training for....much like those guys from that video. They have a clear purpose behind their training, and judging by the way the video is portrayed, it's not competition. I'm a self admitted gear snob. I love me a mean maxpedition/kifaru setup with all the molle attachments and fun stuff. Doesn't mean I'll wear it to the range...(I'm saving it for the zombie apocalypse, shhh), doesn't mean I'll wear it in public either. It sits in my closet, like the rest of my overpriced, overengineered, tacticool stuff.

Unfortunately for the guys that showed up at the OPs range, they were in shooting lanes. There was no running. There was no tactics. No practical application of the gear for what they were doing. Zero team style shooting. No rhyme or reason for wearing all that. So essentially, they were being ninjas. It's like showing up to the desert with a surfboard.

They should probably spend less money on hsld 5.11 pants, and put that into ammo and training.

Who am I to judge though. At least they were out shooting. And it beats the living hell out of shooting with fuddly mcfuddedf***heads

Either they were "real" operators or just a bunch of guys wishing they were "real" operators. Either way to each their own. I don't see the fun in rolling around doing all kinds of "tactical" stuff, but whatever floats your boat. I'll cut to the chase. I'm too damn lazy, broken and old to do that stuff any more.

+1....to each their own. As long as they're not the "in your face, chicken butt" 10yo mentality, who cares?

I can see the fun in rolling around like an blithering idiot every so often, but like you, I'm a bit broken to be doing that...m'cycle racing saw to that [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom