GHB - Get Home Bag first aid content and other thoughts.

Wonder if that's just for new units or if I can get in on that with my 3 year old unit?

Yes, that is their current policy. I asked about maps for both my Nuvi and old Vista Cx and was told that the $100 was a lifetime for ONE device only and I would have to buy a subscription for each.

Trust me, I'm not at all thrilled with Garmin right now for abandoning their past license which allowed me to use maps on 2 devices.

But when it comes to getting the device to do what I want, Garmin is still a lot easier in my book.

Not specifically, but the "you have all the answers dontcha" on top of some of the other comments that have been made is not a good direction. Wanted to just nip it before it became anything more. I know your comment was probably in jest, but remember that printed words almost never convey the 'tone' of the author.

i was just playing, hence the lol. tough to type in friendly font [grin]

I have a fiancee and a 2 year old at home, and I have a habit of driving moderate distances in incliment weather conditions (About 10 years back I drove about 70 miles along back roads through near white-out conditions to get myself home)

To me, the most likely "Get Home Now" Emergency involves those kinds of conditions. Near white-out snow-storm, likely resulting in a loss of power at my home and an event that disables the car (out of fuel, off-road crash/ditch, etc) And that is the condition I want to be prepare for.

Under those conditions, I can expect to use my cell-phone to tell my fiancee that I am alive and making my way home, how to start the generator so the heat and water work and assure them I will be home as soon as I can.

I can not expect that I could use a cell phone to aquire emergency transportation or assistance due to road conditions. That early descision is

Will abandoning the car improve my chances of survival?
Will abandoning the car improve my chances of getting home sooner?
What is the most likely path to get me home safe as soon as practical?

Without preparations and equipment and supplies in the car all the time, your options in such a sitation are very limited. With reasonable preparations, you have the option to hump out and get home safely faster, but that doesn't mean it would always be the best choice. Preparations are about having options AND understanding the likely outcome of each option for the most informed decision. Not for me, but for those who count on me.

Yes, that is their current policy. I asked about maps for both my Nuvi and old Vista Cx and was told that the $100 was a lifetime for ONE device only and I would have to buy a subscription for each.
Uh-huh. Just talked to Garmin. After having spent $100 for City Navigator NT, I can get a lifetime subscription (lifetime being defined as the lifetime of the DEVICE, not MINE!) for an ADDITIONAL $119. [rolleyes]

Such a deal.
taunt001.gif

Shade, after reading your posts I'd like to suggest that perhaps the most valuable thing you can do is to increase your fiancee's self-reliance. It seems to me that her need for you to be home "NOW" is part of the problem. The scenario you describe:
Near white-out snow-storm, likely resulting in a loss of power at my home and an event that disables the car
should not be an emergency that requires you to be home immediately. Maybe there's a dynamic here that I don't know about (disability, medical condition, unwillingness on her part), but the "I have to get home NOW" mentality leads you to accept greater risk than would be necessary if your fiancee could shelter in place for a couple of days without you. I applaud you for being prepared, and for reminding me that I should re-evaluate my own situation, but part of being prepared for an emergency is to take steps to prevent the emergency from developing in the first place.

heard of the blizzard of '78? do i want to get stuck in my car on the highway for more than a couple hours without something to keep me warm when i run out of gas? maybe have to leave the car and hoof it off the highway? hmmm]
I remember the Great Blizzard of '78, although I was amere "Glosta-Boy" back then.
It was horrible ,our neighbors had to dig us out. (snow drifts all tall as the roof line)
The Kids across the street had a snowmobile & went on a mission to the only store open for a bread & milk run.
The Streets were shut down for a week & the Natl.Guard patrolled the neighborhoods in 2 1/2 ton trucks.

I hear ya on the "Know it All Types" [wink]
I could care less about the amount of cubic feet of air in a Toyota Camary & burning a candle Vs. usable air supply in a winter emergency (formula /theory)... BS
-see ya @ the pumpkin'shoot ~G.M

Last edited:
Was he lucky, prepared or knowledgable about his surroundings?

Preparing to hike 25+ miles home, in western MA, in unknown conditions for an aircraft technician (my job) is something I should be thinking about and preparing. I don't think my Boy Scout training or military self aid and buddy care training is enough to just wing the walk home. Having to evade checkpoints or road blocks might be a possibility (think martial law or quaratine areas). I have never had an E&E class.

There was some thread drift from my OP. But it was good information. The GHB is much different than a BOB which is why I didn't pose the question in the BOB thread.

Ultimately getting home quickly is the goal. There are 3 people counting on me getting home.

Kaos-give me a hollar via PM. I am right over in Brimfield. I have a book I can let you have (I personally learned nothing new from it) and can show you how alot of that training is really useful. Being an A&P, I can also show you how alot of stuff you "think" you need to have all the time-is readily available before you leave work.

Uncle Ogre,

As always, I appreciate the advice and would like to say, I am working hard on that specific task. While she is not a survivalist, she is quite intelligent and competant. If the presented senerio occured, and I expected the weather to improve by noon the following day, I would most likely hunker down for the over-night and wait for the weather to improve as your chances of survival and getting help are greatly improved at your car if it is near a road-way.

Preparedness is about options and information to make intelligent, informed decisions. It's also about confidence to prevent panic when things start to go wrong. When people panic, they make mistakes and bad situations often get worse and fast.

I have confidence that my fiancee and little one would be ok without me for a day or two, even in the harshest conditions. There is approximately 12 hours of fuel for the generator in the garage, and she would likely wait a while before turning on the generator. During last years Ice Storm we learned that the house temperture dropped from 70 to upper 50s in 1 day and upper 40s in a second day and there is sufficient gear at the house to support that them easily under those conditions.

After the on-hand fuel supply runs out, she would need to get fuel. There is a gas station about a quarter mile from our house, and she is more than capable of getting fuel and refilling the generator.

As I said, it's about having options. About knowing I can get home, even under the worst conditions, if I absolutely need to. That doesn't mean that I will automatically ditch the car and hike 30 miles through blinding snow, but its useful to know you can, should the need arise.

Preparedness is about options and information to make intelligent, informed decisions. It's also about confidence to prevent panic when things start to go wrong. When people panic, they make mistakes and bad situations often get worse and fast.

Sounds like we're on the same wavelength. Anything you can do to keep your "get home bag" from becoming a "get home NOW bag" is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom