Glock 22 question

This is probably worrying about nothing, but having seen the reports of Glocks exploding and this possibly being due to the design of the stock Glock barrel not fully supporting the case, has anyone here replaced their stock barrel with something else? If so, what?

I guess I should preface this by saying that I am not a Glock fan. I was issued a G22 for a few years, and was a driving force behind us getting Sigs.

I have tried to like Glocks, and I have owned every model, at various times, except the longslides and the 10mm's.

That being said, I have NEVER seen a Glock blow up. I was at a gun store recently, and was shown a G19 that had 'kaBoomed'.

This website-

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html

will probably tell you what you want to know. Again, since this is the errornet, take everything with a grain of salt.

This is probably worrying about nothing, but having seen the reports of Glocks exploding and this possibly being due to the design of the stock Glock barrel not fully supporting the case, has anyone here replaced their stock barrel with something else? If so, what?

My understanding of the Glock .40S&W KBs is that the design and manufacture of the .40 Glock barrels leaves very little room for over-pressure problems.
The reported KBs are frequently attributed to defective factory ammo.
I've never had such a problem or known anyone who had such a problem, however...
I got tired of reading about this so I replaced my Glock barrel with a Sig barrel, in a Sig pistol.[smile]
Life is just too short to deal with this kind of foolishness.

I replaced the stock barrel on my G29 (10mm) with one from KKM Precision. It dropped right in with no modification.

Before replacing the barrel, the fired brass had an alarming bulge near the case head. The bulge was bad enough so that the cases were hard to resize; and some even cracked (on the bulged part) during resizing. These loads were FMJ hand loads that were a tad warm, but not close to nuclear.

The bulge disappeared from the fired cases when I replaced the barrel.

Supposedly, the kB's happen when firing a jacketed bullet after a bunch of lead bullets. The stock barrel's polygonal rifling gets easily leaded up. Then when a jacketed bullet tries to move down the barrel, the pressure spikes up high enough to blow out the case in the area that's unsupported.

Last edited:
I replaced the stock barrel on my G29 (10mm) with one from KKM Precision. It dropped right in with no modification.

Before replacing the barrel, the fired brass had an alarming bulge near the case head. The bulge was bad enough so that the cases were hard to resize; and some even cracked (on the bulged part) during resizing. These loads were FMJ hand loads that were a tad warm, but not close to nuclear.

The bulge disappeared from the fired cases when I replaced the barrel.

Supposedly, the kB's happen when firing a jacketed bullet after a bunch of lead bullets. The stock barrel's polygonal rifling gets easily leaded up. Then when a jacketed bullet tries to move down the barrel, the pressure spikes up high enough to blow out the case in the area that's unsupported.

The KB I saw happen was from American Eagle Ammo.

The only ammo that I've been using is Wolf steel case FMJ, a box or two of CCI Blazer aluminum case FMJ, and WWB, with Federal HSTs and Federal Personal Defense as carry ammo. (yes, I know the PD stuff is crap.)

IMO with the stock barrel if you stay away from reloads you'll generally
be fine. If you stay away from 180 gr ammo that probably will also
help. (Since an "error" with 180gr ammo, eg, setback or overcharge, will
result in drastically increased pressure compared to the same with 165gn.)

I think the chamber support is one thing but I think the glock barrels leave
a lot to be desired, especially in .40 S+W and .45 ACP. The rate of KBs
in Glocks in those two calibers dwarf the KBs in the others by many many
orders of magnitude. (Although admittedly, most KBs are caused by reloads,
in glock land, there have been a few KBs with factory ammo as well.... )

FWIW, it seems to me that Glocks QC WRT barrels is very erratic at best, or
nonexistant. There are guys like Clark Magnuson who -try- to blow up guns on
purpouse (with deliberate overcharges) and can't get the barrels to blow, but on
the other hand you get cops who have used nothing but factory ammo and still
have KB's. The whole thing is rather mystifying. There also seems to be even
deviation as to wether or not the barrel on a given glock will cause case bulging. For
instance, on my G20, the cases seem to "expand" a bit, but there is no bulge at the
base. Course that's only with "commercial" 10mm and not the beefy, norma spec
stuff.

If you're a reloader, or shoot the gun heavily with commercial
reloads, I'd recommend a KKM barrel like the one EddieCoyle is talking about.
I saw the barrel in his 10mm G29 and I have to say it was really nice.
The standard rifled barrels also allow you to run "lead smeg ammo" if you
so desire without creating a dangerous situation.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom