Gobble, gobble

The Goose

NES Member
This afternoon I took a little time off to go shooting. I was looking at some jobs down in Dartmouth and Fall River so I headed over to Middleboro Sportsman Assoc. where I am a member. I was alone on the range, the weather was beautiful and I was in heaven. I had just mounted a new scope on my Marlin 60 .22 and was looking forward to sighting it in.

I started at 25 yards and after several 3 rd. adjustments I had it dead on so I moved it out to 100 yards. So I move the scope up to 9X, the strongest magnification, and I am diligently working on getting it zeroed in. I am taking my time. As I am looking through the scope I see a quick flash of movement in front of the lens, just a flash. As I am saying "What the f...!" A head appears right in front of the bullseye and directly behind the cross hairs and a turkey is looking straight at me with a dumbass turkey look. The cross hairs are literally between it's eyes and I am starting to squeeze the trigger. I could not believe it. I froze and put the gun down. There were at least 25 -30 turkeys that had waddled out onto the berm. One was standing directly in front of the target stand with it's long neck extended up just looking at me.

I walked down range, tossed a couple of rocks, yelled, waved my arms and they slowly walked off into the brush. I turned around, walked back to the bench and as I prepared to shoot they all came strolling out again. I ran downrange and rousted them out. As I walked back I glanced over my shoulder and they were coming back. I really had to fight the temptation to just drop a couple of them. I finally just gave up and moved over to the 50 yards berm and let them have the area.

I laughed so hard I almost got sick. The sight of that one bird just popping up on front of the target was just unbelievable. He just had such a dumbass turkey look on his face. It was almost like a cartoon character. He was like, "Yo, dude. What's up!". LMFAO!!

If only we lived in the time before hunting permits and seasons, it would be turkey dinner time at Goose's.

I live just a few hundred years (editted: ok Goose it was supposed to be yards !) from that range. Those wild turkeys spend their time wandering all over the area. Hardly a day goes by in the Fall and early winter that I don't have a dozen or more in my yard.

Last year there was a one legged one hopping around for several months. I can't figure how he kept up with the rest of the flock as they wandered in and out of the woods everyday, but he did!

Steve, keep your bullets outta my turkeys !

Last edited:
Unreal

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]
I am splitting my side just picturing that head popping up into the crosshairs. Just plain awesome. You have alot of will power. There are many fingers that would've made the moove rearward. I had a similar experience during a trap practice where the clay came within 1foot or so of two passing geese and it took a lot to back off and not pull the trigger.

Are these the guys? These were visiting us last Thanksgiving Day, believe it or not. That's my muddy driveway.

Web%20DSC01081.jpg

Back
Top Bottom