• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going for a 40+ acre lot....Thoughts?

I wound up with a 25 acre plot and just did a survey on one long 1200ft border. Here are some pics to show how important an instrument survey can be when the border is not accurate nor the corners of the lots. Had a staking and lot corner adjustment not taken place, adverse possession could be used by the abutter but it is usually cumbersome and costly to fight.
View attachment 517644View attachment 517641View attachment 517642View attachment 517640View attachment 517643View attachment 517639
Nice!
So... When is the rifle range going in? By my public school math, 1200' = 400 yards.

Good for you on hiring a LPLS (Licensed Professional Land Surveyor) to determine the actual lot lines. With such a large investment you would want to know exactly what you own. The only one who can "Legally" determine where the lot line is a LPLS along along with a stamped plan (with appropriate state license # and signature) are the only thing that is admissible as evidence in court of law in the COMMIEWEALTH. You cannot visually rely on a tree line, fence line or even a stone wall.

This is from my own personal experience hiring a LPLS, writing that check (gladly) and visiting Mass. Land Court

Good luck with your adventure OP ;)

Good for you on hiring a LPLS (Licensed Professional Land Surveyor) to determine the actual lot lines. With such a large investment you would want to know exactly what you own. The only one who can "Legally" determine where the lot line is a LPLS along along with a stamped plan (with appropriate state license # and signature) are the only thing that is admissible as evidence in court of law in the COMMIEWEALTH. You cannot visually rely on a tree line, fence line or even a stone wall.

This is from my own personal experience hiring a LPLS, writing that check (gladly) and visiting Mass. Land Court

Good luck with your adventure OP ;)
Shall I ask what your experience with Mass Land Court was? Border dispute? I’ve already talked to the abutter and we are meeting up to chat. He’s a friendly guy that had no idea where the lot lines were and 20 years thought the land behind him was state land. Nonetheless we will amicably solve this without duress.

Shall I ask what your experience with Mass Land Court was? Border dispute? I’ve already talked to the abutter and we are meeting up to chat. He’s a friendly guy that had no idea where the lot lines were and 20 years thought the land behind him was state land. Nonetheless we will amicably solve this without duress.
Not going to build a stump wall:D

The Land Court issue was a dispute with a neighbor saying I could not have a "Commercial Business" in a residential zone. However we were building a new horse barn, indoor riding arena etc. which is defined as "Agriculture" under MGL. CH40 sec3 & Section 128 and is allowed but the ZBA rescinded my building permit out of spite and I had to appeal to Land Court.

The funny thing is I personally knew the building inspector and was finishing shingling the roof when he showed up and handed me the "Cease and Desist" order and told me I had to stop working on the barn. I laughed at him and said I am going to continue. He said that he could make me tear it down if the courts didn't find in my favor. I told him that shortest distance between me and a judge is exactly what I wanted. He did say though that "Pre-Construction activities can continue during the appeals process" So my lawyer sent a letter stating I would appeal and I continued not only to build my farm but run the business.

I did my homework though and had a list of court cases that already set precedent for what we were doing and 1 yr later a summary judgement was made based on those cases. I never saw the inspector after that on my property. We did meet often in his office on other building permits and projects that I was doing at the time. He knew nothing of the AG laws in the State and eventually used the Ag laws to his advantage on his own 17 acre residential lot.

I now work as a sales manager for a barn building company and when the inspector says he can't justify giving a permit. I just say let me speak with town counsel as he will have to defend the town in a lawsuit. So far it's worked multiple times.

Thanks Ken A. (LPLS and my sons Godfather) for all your hard work and expert advice.

Payment was the easy part Beer, Duck/Goose Hunting and Skeet shooting

Props to Szoc Surveryors who were the only LPLS who would take my job and they finished it on a hot and humid August day with dense forest structure and loads of biting bugs!

I’ve already talked to the abutter and we are meeting up to chat. He’s a friendly guy that had no idea where the lot lines were and 20 years thought the land behind him was state land. Nonetheless we will amicably solve this without duress.

Just because you had the property line surveyed and staked does NOT mean the neighbor is barred from claiming adverse possession or prescriptive easement. Give him a license for a $1 a year and you will preserve your ownership while he can keep "his yard" the way has has been accustomed to doing. Since he mentions 20 years, he might know a thing or two about it. Be careful.

Just because you had the property line surveyed and staked does NOT mean the neighbor is barred from claiming adverse possession or prescriptive easement. Give him a license for a $1 a year and you will preserve your ownership while he can keep "his yard" the way has has been accustomed to doing. Since he mentions 20 years, he might know a thing or two about it. Be careful.
Not sure if you are a lawyer but I’ve already talked to one. Once it’s staked it’s mighty hard for the “adverse” abutter to claim an adverse ownership over that past 20 years. Nonetheless I am forming a signed agreement with him to keep it as is until next summer and then all of his stuff goes back behind the line.

Not sure if you are a lawyer but I’ve already talked to one. Once it’s staked it’s mighty hard for the “adverse” abutter to claim an adverse ownership over that past 20 years. Nonetheless I am forming a signed agreement with him to keep it as is until next summer and then all of his stuff goes back behind the line.

Not at all correct. In fact, once it is staked, that shows clearly that the neighbor indeed has been squatting on the land you just purchased.

As long as he is willing to move his stuff back across the line, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Not at all correct. In fact, once it is staked, that shows clearly that the neighbor indeed has been squatting on the land you just purchased.

As long as he is willing to move his stuff back across the line, you'll be fine. Good luck.
Thanks for the clarification. Some cases I came across show that the squatter needs to have known the land was not theirs in the first place and raise a flag or paint an “X” or some other “adverse” move from the time they trespassed leading up all the way to the day the owner reclaims it or stakes it. If the squatter improves the land like clearing, tilling, and growing crops then that could also stand as the right to claim it but it still must prove to be “adverse”. Maybe Ma law is different totally.

Last edited:
OP

I will send you file of the Mass AG laws that I have used in the past tomorrow when I get to the office. There are some exemptions that may help you manage your land while telling local officials "Get off my lawn"
Awesome 👏🏼 thnx

Eta: I’m already in Ch.61 and doing a selective plus clear cut in a month or two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Some cases I came across show that the squatter needs to have known the land was not theirs in the first place and raise a flag or paint an “X” or some other “adverse” move from the time they trespassed leading up all the way to the day the owner reclaims it or stakes it. If the squatter improves the land like clearing, tilling, and growing crops then that could also stand as the right to claim it but it still must prove to be “adverse”. Maybe Ma law is different totally.

The essence of the claim is not that they know the land is not theirs, but that they are taking the land AS THEIRS, regardless of who might own actual title to that area. They don't need to know who actually owns the land. The adverse part is where he mowed it and put his things down on it, the wood pile, the planter, etc. You should know also that there is "tacking" -- successors-in-interest can claim the period of adverse usage established by prior adverse users if there is privity of title between those users.

What happens if the guy gets pissy, pulls up the stakes and throws them in the woods?
It's a crime to disturb survey markers, so he'll get into trouble when he didn't need to and when he actually probably had the upper hand. Besides, the property line is where it is, whether or not the markers are in the ground.

I’ve already talked to the abutter and we are meeting up to chat. He’s a friendly guy that had no idea where the lot lines were and 20 years thought the land behind him was state land. Nonetheless we will amicably solve this without duress.
Talking softly is easier with the big stick of survey stakes in your back pocket. :)

It's a crime to disturb survey markers, so he'll get into trouble when he didn't need to and when he actually probably had the upper hand. Besides, the property line is where it is, whether or not the markers are in the ground.
Ive worked in low income areas for too long I guess. My mind just automatically goes there and theres consistently "nothing we can do".

A lawyer told me that if property is surveyed, do not stake it and instead have them show you were the property line is.

OP- how much land does the neighbor own?

Yup. Maybe. The question is why are they surveying the property. It's about 80 acres of forest that was once granted development rights back the 80's.
My back woods may soon be full of ticky tacky houses. Just like the McMansions across the street from me.

Get the name of the surveyor on the stake cap and reach out and ask the purpose of the survey.

Yup. Maybe. The question is why are they surveying the property. It's about 80 acres of forest that was once granted development rights back the 80's.
My back woods may soon be full of ticky tacky houses. Just like the McMansions across the street from me.

and that is probably exactly what you'll see.

The 39 acres I bought in April(yes overpaid, but it is mine) was purchased from someone who bought it less than a year prior. They immediately went out and surveyed it, likely with the intent to subdivide and develop and/or sell off parcels. Once they figured it might be a pain in the rear to subdivide/develop as there is a stream running through it/oodles of big rocks, they decided to flip it.

The listing when I bought it was full of references to subviding.

Bonus is I have a fresh survey and I'll drop a SFH on 39 acres and call it good.

Bonus is I have a fresh survey and I'll drop a SFH on 39 acres and call it good.
My exact plan and decisive action taken. I also have a veritable zoo there too. I can get 3-4 lots out of this parcel if zoning laws don’t get more strict in the future. It’s got the frontage and with the amount of precipitation we’ve received this last year I studied the vernal pools, intermittent streams, and seepages. No issue at all and even with this much rain the pools are still dry at this late stage in summer.

I spent a few hours with the abutter yesterday and we came to a firm agreement. Actually without me saying anything previously he had already made a new spot for his woodpile on his side of the line. It was a fruitful time and as is with country folks they usually just deal honestly and keeping good relationships with such folks is vital for the future. I gave him until next summer to finalize the material possession movement and he was good with that.

He has 1.3 acres. The issue he may still face is that a corner lot a few houses up has a flag lot that takes about another 25ft of his “backyard” and comes to a point to meet at the lot corner where 4 abutters converge behind that woodpile. That other owner is selling and who knows what may occur next.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom