Going shooting in Maine

So I am heading up this weekend to the Bethel area and I was going to go down this long dirt road that has almost no residences on it except for houses at each end of the road. I was planning on hitting this spot off the road that looks perfect to do some shooting.
I guess I want to know if that is a horrible idea..

Thank you, Pat, I will ask at both ends of the road to see if anyone in fact does own the land.. It's quite a ways between both ends of the road and it is a marked road (Rabbit Road Bethel). It never hurts to ask.

Last edited:
I would add what might be obvious - ensure you have an adequate backstop (such as a hill you're shooting into) and that you know what's over that hill, etc. It might also help to check with the PD, as there might be local regulations etc.

yes to all that. actually there is no PD left in Bethel it's the sheriff now. Anyhow I am gonna go over to a range Fryeburg with a friend so now I have no worries about legality..

If you are looking for a closer place to shoot in the Bethel area just drive down route 2 East towards Rumford. At the Bear River Road Junction, where Rt. 26 heads north to Errol make a left. Immediately on your right will be a very large sand pit. That pit is generally acceptable for shooting. A friend and I shot there a few years ago and he found out it was fine. I would say that if there are no "No Trespassing" signs that it is still ok to shoot there. Find a pit with a good back stop and shoot north parallel to the two roads. If you look at goole maps you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Generally speaking, we do not shoot on private land in the woods with out land owner permission. Sandpits where it is generally known to be acceptable would be the exception.

I'm a MA transplant and live in Bethel...I've driven by that sand pit near Bear River Road more times than I can count...I even drove around in there one weekend looking to shoot, but it seemed like there was a lot of heavy equipment setup and I am still cautious about utilizing the pit. (a carryover from my MA conditioning)
Additionally, I walked up the road behind the sand pits, which was gated, but couldn't find anyone to ask if it was ok to use the area.

Should I just head to the farthest corner and setup some targets? I'll be sure to ask around some of the locals as well.

I'm a MA transplant and live in Bethel...I've driven by that sand pit near Bear River Road more times than I can count...I even drove around in there one weekend looking to shoot, but it seemed like there was a lot of heavy equipment setup and I am still cautious about utilizing the pit. (a carryover from my MA conditioning)
Additionally, I walked up the road behind the sand pits, which was gated, but couldn't find anyone to ask if it was ok to use the area.

Should I just head to the farthest corner and setup some targets? I'll be sure to ask around some of the locals as well.

If you want to be absolutely sure, then find out who the owner is and ask. I can only relate to you what my experience was. I have a friend who wanted to shoot long range and so asked around and found out it was fine to shoot there. So we went and everything was fine. That was a few years ago. My best guess is that as long as there are no trespassing signs and you shoot in a safe manner and not near any equipment that it would be fine. That is what I would do.

so just an update if it matters, I ended up shooting in Fryeburg at a public range, it worked out real well we showed up early and by the time we were ready to go everyone else was showing up.
the range was real nice for a public one it was even cleaner than the range at my club which struck me immediately..
All in all it was a good time.
As for Rabbit Ln, I found out no one really owns the land where I was going to shoot. But the thing was the rain had made it almost impossible for me to get wher I wanted to go..

As for Rabbit Ln, I found out no one really owns the land where I was going to shoot..
Never, ever assume that. ALL land has title of ownership. It could be owned by an individual, a business/corporation, or a government.

If the land isn't public, and you don't know who the owner is, you are most likely trespassing.

Back
Top Bottom