• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold Question from Newbie

Researching for a first gold purchase. Where do you recommend for gold purchase? I saw the US Mint has an American Eagle 2023 one ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin for $2870. (12/11/23)

If I decide to purchase, it would be to leave to my children. I’m interested in coins or bullion in very small amounts.

Any suggestions for a reputable place to buy or learn more is appreciated.

Apmex.com is reputable.

$2870 seems steep. You're likely paying for a proof coin. That's almost $900 over spot.

Rough numbers, $100-$150 over spot is more normal.

Here's a link to a seller on eBay I've bought from before with success. Many of the sellers upcharge 3% or so for credit card orders. On eBay it's included.

eBay, apmex, etc. I haven’t looked in a little while but that price seems crazy high unless you’re starting a coin collection and not just stacking gold.

I’d say figure out how much you want to get, decide if you want coins or bars, go to eBay and buy what you want from any reputable seller. You’ll know they’re a reputable seller because they’ll have hundreds of thousands of perfect transactions.

2023 1 oz gold eagles should be under $2200 at the moment.

The U.S. Mint offering at that price is targeted at collectors. It was struck at West Point instead of Philadelphia, comes with fancy packaging, and has a limited mintage.

In the past, I’ve bought from Kitco, Provident Metals, and Apmex. My suggestion is that you look at the bid/ask spread for coins from the U.S., Canada, Australia, Austria or Great Britain and choose accordingly.

Apmex.com is reputable.

$2870 seems steep. You're likely paying for a proof coin. That's almost $900 over spot.

Rough numbers, $100-$150 over spot is more normal.

Here's a link to a seller on eBay I've bought from before with success. Many of the sellers upcharge 3% or so for credit card orders. On eBay it's included.

Second Apmex. Don’t pay for proof or anything when buying a gold coin. Just buy the cheapest 1 oz 2023 Gold Eagle or Buffalo.

I buy from Apmex's Ebay store, not directly. Buying from Ebay lets you use a CC and still get the cash price, so it's generally cheaper than buying direct from Apmex.com.

Ebay Apmex gold eagle $2127

It's almost $100 more from Apmex if you use a CC. Even the cash/wire price is $2135.

I’m still fairly new to stacking and use JM Bullion.
Here’s a 2023 starting at $2133.00 if you use e-check, 2222.07 if you use PayPal or card.

If you’re a veteran and send a copy of your DD214, you’ll receive the e-check/wire price (lowest price) on your purchases no matter how you pay.

I buy from Apmex's Ebay store, not directly. Buying from Ebay lets you use a CC and still get the cash price, so it's generally cheaper than buying direct from Apmex.com.

Ebay Apmex gold eagle $2127

It's almost $100 more from Apmex if you use a CC. Even the cash/wire price is $2135.
This is a great tip ... I can get 1.5% back on CC purchases and if the price is the same on the ebay store, then that lowers the premium quite a bit (close to 40% if they have the sale items on that venue) ... thanks!!

What are you guys doing for shipping? These just don't come through the regular USPS do they? With mail getting lost and stuff being stolen from FedEx or UPS who do you trust?

What are you guys doing for shipping? These just don't come through the regular USPS do they? With mail getting lost and stuff being stolen from FedEx or UPS who do you trust?
I still maintain a PO box for a business, ship everything there. This eliminates "carrier error". All the online dealers I've bought from, including the U.S. Mint, don't have thier names on the return address and ship with a tracking number. I trust the USPS over UPS or FedEX, imo.

However the vendor chooses to send it. They have a vested interest in making sure these valuable goods arrive correctly. Clearly they would not use a shipping method that was unreliable.

Leave the shipping to them. If there's a problem they will help resolve the issue.

There's a benefit to buying American Eagles and other coins from the Federal government. The Secret Service is a formidable foe when it comes to counterfeiting a federal government currency.

Think it was always USPS for me. Never had an issue in many shipments. The box is not recognizable as PMs, except when it’s 3 rolls of silver then you can probably guess what it is.

Back
Top Bottom