Good hunting round .308

kiver

NES Member
This will be my first year hunting with a rifle. Traveling north and NOT bringing a shotgun!!! I am lazy and do not feel like doing a lengthy search on this topic and I am sure it has been beaten to death. I'll take any recommendations on a .308 round. Again I have only hunted before with a shotgun

Oh I'll be shooting a Savage 10Scout

In my personal experience, I have yet to find a hunting round that will perform as good in my Savage 308 than the 150gr Remington Core-Lokt. I can consistently clover leaf 3 round groups at 100 yds, and the bullet drop from 100-200 is very consistent, and easy to predict.

In Africa my buddy and I used .308s loaded with 170 gr. SP Privi ammo.
Im not sure if that load is available here in the US but we killed everything from warthog, impala to zebra to wildebeest,kudu and waterbuck at ranges from 75 yards to 240 yards with no problems. All but one were one shot kills with the animals never traveling more than 80 yards after the shot.
I did recover one bullet from a wildebeest shot in the shoulder, quartering away, and it performed perfectly with good weight retention and perfect expansion.
That was my experience, it gave me a new respect for the .308 and if I could find that ammo here in the US I would stock up on it.

I don't hunt anymore so perhaps someone who has used this round can relate lethality performance, but in the accuracy department, the 168gr Winchester Supreme Silvertip .308 was like a laser beam out of my M1A....Reviews online seem solid, but again - I have no idea how good/bad/effective it is for hunting...

Back in 2002, I used my 06 to take a 172# VT Whitetail using a 165 grain Winnie Silvertip. Neck shot at about 40 yards. Deer went down like he was pole axed. That round has been replaced by the 168 grain by Winchester.

If I had a .308, I'd use the same bullet weight and not even worry about it. Shot placement is more of an issue than bullet weight. PRACTICE!

Great thread.
I just picked up a Stevens Model200 in .308 (essentially a Savage 10 without the accutrigger) and it is by far more consistent (best grouping at 100yds) using the 150g Remington Core-Lokt Ultra's.
I havent had a chance to start reloading with it yet (only had it a week); but for a factory deer hunting load, the CoreLokt 150's are excellent.

I worked up a load this fall that worked quite well - DRT as they say (Dead Right There).

165gr Sierra GameKing (#2125) w/ 41.2grn of 4064.

Back
Top Bottom