Good News for Somerville

xero2099

NES Member
as some of you where aware When I first got my LTC last it was restricted so after waiting a year I sent a letter to the Chief asking for the restriction to be lifted. The city has an acting chief so I did not know how it was going to be handled He called me today. His policy is to personally interview applicants so because he had not met me in person we had a pretty good conversation via phone, he is lifting the restriction and he is also against them in the first place Good News Today[smile]

Last edited:
Somerville in general is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It is true that if they do not know you and you are new to the city they will often restrict you the first time. It is also true that most people who have lived in the city a while do get unrestricteds the first time.

Somerville in general is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It is true that if they do not know you and you are new to the city they will often restrict you the first time. It is also true that most people who have lived in the city a while do get unrestricteds the first time.

I have lived there 10 years now, I like the city . It was one of those "worst they can say is no" things and this case It was a great outcome

time to put in for my renewal!

Anyone file for an SBR in Somerville? Ive got plans.

ETA: when I renewed my C&R, the Somerville COP called me because I sent him a letter informing him of my C&R renewal (I think that's required somewhere) - he left me a message on my cell phone. I called him back, he was very polite - then interrupted me while I was explaining the what a C&R is - and he said:

"are you opening a gun shop?"
"Uh... No, Sir, not at all - I collect."
"Oh, fine then, have fun."
CLICK

Last edited:
I got an LTC-A restricted initially in Somerville. I had not lived in Somerville for very long (although I don't know if they would know that or not). I called up after about 6 months to ask about have the restrictions removed. I was told they usually wait at least a year to make sure there are no issues, but that I should write a letter explaining my reasoning (I had met with him previously when I first got the LTC). I wrote a letter saying that I wanted to be able to carry a firearm for self defense should the worst happen, and also wrote about general safety and responsibility (conflict avoidance, etc). Shortly after that I was told that the restrictions had been lifted and I would receive the new license in the mail. Not at all what I was expecting for a "red" town.

Not at all what I was expecting for a "red" town.

Somerville has really not been red for a long time, except for one Chief about a decade ago. Maybe longer ago, would have to dig to find the one that really didn't issue any and downgraded a bunch of people, but he was a while ago.

Not at all what I was expecting for a "red" town.

before I even applied from the research i did it could never find out if they were red or not and I know other people who live here and they got unrestricted. During my conversion with him he never once asked why I wanted it , but I told him how long I have lived there and thought it was a direct kick in the face to even get restricted in the first place and he was totally cool about it

For anyone else in Somerville who is looking to apply, go to your ward's resistat meeting. Besides your Alderman, the chief normally shows up. Good time to introduce yourself, or have your Alderman introduce you. If you do not know your Alderman, change that.

Congrats... I've had mine in Somerville since 2010. I was a 1st timer with no restrictions doesn't hurt that I've been back in Somerville since 1999 and they had interim chief at the time.

Somerville has really not been red for a long time, except for one Chief about a decade ago. Maybe longer ago, would have to dig to find the one that really didn't issue any and downgraded a bunch of people, but he was a while ago.

There's been several people who have been restricted here well inside a decade.

Let's put it this way, the town has a less than stellar reputation, much like Medford, in terms of being red.

Those who want to free their shackles should do so now. It could go retarded again.

-Mike

This is still within the definition of "red" [laugh] I suppose its more of a mustard town though, with a dollup of ketchup in there... [laugh] Maybe we should change it to Yellow.

-Mike

Can you send that chief down my way?? I sent a letter in after having my LTC target and hunting over two years and haven't gotten a peep back. Did follow up calls and everything, I wouldn't doubt if he just tossed it before even opening it.

This is still within the definition of "red" [laugh] I suppose its more of a mustard town though, with a dollup of ketchup in there... [laugh] Maybe we should change it to Yellow.

-Mike

Most of the people I have talked to have an unrestricted on their first go and I have yet to meet anyone who did not get unrestricted on renewal. To me that sounds a lot better than places like Medford where the chief has said only laywers and politians get unrestricted. I am sure that even in green towns you will find someone who got a restricted. We had one shief years ago who was not in favor of LTCs and the stigma has hung around.

I applied for my unrestricted in November 2013 and the new captain had just started. He stated that he is only issuing Class A NO restrictions due to the laws being so "confusing" and he also said "your either qualified or your not". I was getting the restrictions off of mine. He was on the job for a week when I met with him. There was a first time applicant there ahead of me and he applied for class A no restrictions and he was in there for 3 min came out and I got the thumbs up. This new captain seems to get it, thanks god.
I renewed my unrestricted license 2 years ago after a decade of unrestricted and got restricted back in the mail. Called the PD and I was told the captain was issuing restrictions. 2 years later I read in the Somerville Journal the new captain was starting and took a shot, good thing I did. If your thinking of applying do so now...

Another two thumbs up for the new licensing officer. He left me a message a week ago but I missed him as he was going on vacation that same day, he calls me back the night BEFORE he was supposed to go back to regular duty, saying how he felt bad making me wait a week! After a quick talk, , he removed the restrictions on both my LTC and my wife's, even though she hadn't sent in a letter. He really understands the reasons many of us decide to carry.

Last edited:
Sad that Femino isn't on the list, but Cabral is a decent guy (or was when I was in Somerville). Don't know Fallon. CT can gtfo.

Last edited:
Same type of thing happened in my town (Hudson) After 40 years finally a gun friendly chief.Congrats to all of you LTC holders in Somerville

Anyone going to attend the public hearing on
Wednesday, June 25, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Alderman Chamber at City Hall?

Back
Top Bottom