Good S&W 500 starting load

Check with EddieCoyle on when his next reloading class is. He one of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever met on the subject for both rifle and pistol.

I know plenty of people who are happy with the 550B if you are looking to save a buck. I am a red guy. I have the Hornady L-N-L AP and single stage and have no complaints about it. Their warranty is every bit as good as Dillon's. There are pro's and con's to both machines (550b vs LNL) and are priced about the same. If you go with a LNL you get a voucher for 500 free bullets, just pay shipping.

Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate it very much!!!

I'll probably load a few with more Trail Boss as well as trying some Titegroup that should push the FPS over 1000. I really don't like the factory Hornady ammo with a 350gn bullet that is supposed to go 1800 FPS, it isn't enjoyable to shoot. I want to get somewhere in the middle and it looks like Titegroup will be the key. I also was shooting my 8 3/8" S&W 460 with 296 loads and it is amazing how the longer barrel tames the recoil. The S&W 500 with the 4" barrel isn't for the weak hearted.

Chris

Try the full load of Trailboss first. For a moderate load try IMR 4227. I'm not a fan of Titegroup for the .500.

Try the full load of Trailboss first. For a moderate load try IMR 4227. I'm not a fan of Titegroup for the .500.

Thanks, I have some rounds that are 14.5 gn of Trail Boss under a 350gn Hornady XTP. I think around 15.2 grains is a full load.

I also loaded 5 rounds with 12 grains of Titegroup which is within the range of 11-18gn posted on the Hodogon online site. I see why this powder leads to so many kabooms, 12 grains is barely visible in the case.

It is interesting to see the burn rate listed as almost equal between Titegroup, Trail Boss and W231 on the vihtavuori burn rate chart.

EC, I will look for some IMR 4227 next time I am at the store, thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks everyone for their advice!

Chris

Last edited:
Well the 14.5 grains of Trail Boss was much better, but really a waste of projectiles in my opinion.

I really liked the 12 grains of Titegroup, it was a little stouter than the Trail Boss and a really nice starting load. Super clean and very accurate. I was punching a single ragged hole at 21 feet. I am excited that it can go all the way to 1500 FPS at max load. What is not to love? Above 1500 FPS I can just load Win296...

EC, it seems like you really liked Titegroup for a while, what changed your mind? I searched for Titegroup loads and just found posts everywhere by John Ross talking about how bad it was. He is quite prolific, but more or less the sole source of the hubris.

Your recommendation of 4227 seems to produce loads nearly as powerful as Win296, is there something else more moderate between Trail Boss and the magnum powders?

I really like Unique, but I have not found any published reloading data for it.

Chris

I'm interested in this too, as I'm a 500 sw owner, Just into reloading. I'm looking to set up some rounds to "dumb down" the stout recoil for a couple new (to 500) shooters for their first time out. My question is, is the Trail Boss the most forgiving of handgun powders available?

I don't understand buying the largest magnum handgun and then hunting for wimpy loads. Use listed loads, have fun and shoot something smaller when you want less recoil. It's meant to go BOOM not pop

I'd say that Trail Boss is the most forgiving powder since you don't even weigh the charge. You just dump in 75 to 100% of the case capacity. I don't know of any other smokeless powder that allows you to do that safely.

Was that your experience when you shot them?

Cant find the powder yet, I was just looking at the FPS of the loading data.

I would not start with trailboss in the 500 it will lull you into a false sense of security. Shoot some factory ammo carefully a round at a time to see what tje beast is capable of then play around with reloading

Chris

I don't reload but love shooting my 500. Ive been shooting 440 grain out of it most recently. I have all the tools needed to reload but just not the knowledge. I signed up for the reloading class down in Taunton on Father's Day but it ended up being cancelled.

I'd say that Trail Boss is the most forgiving powder since you don't even weigh the charge. You just dump in 75 to 100% of the case capacity. I don't know of any other smokeless powder that allows you to do that safely.
Right on bud, thanks. I'm just learning reloading, and with all the different powders out there I like to have a mental grasp on the difference in power. +1 for the no BS response

i have been using 22gr Longshot under a 400 JHP recently ( after i purchused some for a 460 rowland load) and i am very happy with it

Back
Top Bottom