Gun Magazines (Handloader, G&A, Combat Handguns etc.)

I was reading my newest issue of Handloader, and realized that I have dozens and dozens of gun magazines in my book shelf. So it got me thinking, what should I do with them all? I re-read them from time to time, but still they occupy alot of space. And I can't throw them away, after all they have a ton of info in them. I was thinking about cutting out the articles I like, find useful, and placing them in sheet protectors, inside a three ring binder. What do you guys do with your old mags?

I wouldn't bother cutting them up. If you're willing to go that far, you may as well get yourself a scanner, and digitize the info that you want. That way you can print out hard-copies at will, or just browse articles and images on a PC. Then you could probably burn your whole collection of articles to a CD/DVD.

Very good and reliable flatbed scanners can be had for short dollars these days. And you can save to very usable formats like PDF.

I myself have a ton of magazines too, but I simply have built shelving to hold my library in my reloading area.

I was reading my newest issue of Handloader, and realized that I have dozens and dozens of gun magazines in my book shelf. So it got me thinking, what should I do with them all? I re-read them from time to time, but still they occupy alot of space. And I can't throw them away, after all they have a ton of info in them. I was thinking about cutting out the articles I like, find useful, and placing them in sheet protectors, inside a three ring binder. What do you guys do with your old mags?

I donate mine to the local library. The one near me is not anal about firearms and actually believes in the sanctity of information availability. And I figure that the more non-gun people that are exposed to the industry by reading magazines and learning, the better we all will be in the long-run.

I used to bring mine to the local library and leave them in the magazine racks for other sportsmen to enjoy. Apparently, someone saw me and complained. One of the librarians took me aside and politely requested that I refrain from doing this in the future. I guess doing the right thing and sharing with others made me a villain![frown]

I have saved every magazine I ever bought from 1960, until my wife made me get rid of some of them in 1984 when we moved into a smaller house.

Now I still have almost all the magazines I've bought since then, at least the special issues and annuals.

I would keep them all forever if I had the space. Just this morning I was looking for an article from a 1963 Guns and Ammo, which of course was one of the several hundred I threw away in '84

Back
Top Bottom