Gun Owner Saves Cop's Life by Shooting Deranged Gunman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stacy raised his gun, fired, and landed one hell of a shot – by his estimate “a good 165 yards” – with a pistol (we do not know the make or caliber at this time). Stacy wasn’t even sure if he could make the shot at that distance: “I hope this magnum bullet’ll hold up, you know, this distance. And sure enough it did and I hit him in the thigh.”

Stacy told Brownwood Bulletin that he wasn’t able to sleep at all the night following the shooting, but the following day was a different story. Stacy was able to get a good night's sleep after police convinced him that he had acted appropriately and saved lives.

That is one bad ass old man

Anyone else confused about just who had an AR-15? The article seems to indicate at different times that both the shooter and the PO had an AR-15, but it also refers to the PO as "out-gunned". I guess even Texas papers have problems accurately reporting what happened.

Anyone else confused about just who had an AR-15? The article seems to indicate at different times that both the shooter and the PO had an AR-15, but it also refers to the PO as "out-gunned". I guess even Texas papers have problems accurately reporting what happened.

I did notice that as well.

Just glad the old timer did the right thing, and he lives in a state where they won't fry him. I am sure the 165 yard pistol shot is an exaggeration, but if not, I am sorry. That's awesome.

I am sure the 165 yard pistol shot is an exaggeration, but if not, I am sorry. That's awesome.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the badass old man who could make 4 long range shots w/ a pistol, did a fairly good job estimating the range.

No, it wasn't confusing at all. The cop is the only one attributed to have an AR-15.

What the paper got right is that superior weapons are sometimes no match for a superior tactical position (cover, better field of fire, etc.)

So yes, you can have a tricked out tactical rifle and still be a sitting duck ready to be killed by a goober with a hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

And in any case, I'm of the mind of MYOFB.

I did notice that as well.

Just glad the old timer did the right thing, and he lives in a state where they won't fry him. I am sure the 165 yard pistol shot is an exaggeration, but if not, I am sorry. That's awesome.
A little more than 1 1/2 lengths of a football field. The final police report should have the correct distance by actual measurement. Regardless, bravo to the armed citizen for doing his duty.

No, it wasn't confusing at all. The cop is the only one attributed to have an AR-15.

What the paper got right is that superior weapons are sometimes no match for a superior tactical position (cover, better field of fire, etc.)

So yes, you can have a tricked out tactical rifle and still be a sitting duck ready to be killed by a goober with a hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

And in any case, I'm of the mind of MYOFB.

At that point, Conner returned fire against Stacy with his AR-15. He missed his shot, luckily, but that gave dead-eye Stacy another opportunity to pull the trigger.

Now Charles Ronald Conner is the alleged shooter. And Vic Stacy is the person who came to the POs aid. "Stacy raised his gun, fired, and landed one hell of a shot – by his estimate “a good 165 yards” – with a pistol (we do not know the make or caliber at this time)."

Yeah, I think the story has a few errors.

None of which detract from Stacy's bravery.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the badass old man who could make 4 long range shots w/ a pistol, did a fairly good job estimating the range.

I agree, I've been trying to find updates to the story but no luck, I would love to know what type of gun and caliber he was using,

Elmer Keith hit a deer with a S&W 29 6 1/2" barrel at 600 yrds. It's totally conceivable that Mr. Stacey made the shots at 165.

Two Sundays ago a first-met friend challenged/taught me to shoot my DAO J-frame at a 50-yd target. I previously would've thought it's a waste of ammo. But I could shoot about an 8" pattern with hands resting and one shot out of 5 even manage to hit the fist-sized target.

Moral duty to come to the defense of others. Your view of morality may differ. Not all states make this a legal duty.
Your view of morality is amusing considering your political views.

I am very selective these days about who I help and who I don't. As to whether it is a legal duty or not, I could not care less. Long ago I made the decision to no longer take laws at face value.

I doubt the old man could tell the difference from a tree and a person next to it at 165 yards, and with a pistol? No way.

165 feet, sure. that would be around 55 yards, damn good for a hand gun.

I think someone is a bit confused due to all the excitement?

Moral duty to come to the defense of others. Your view of morality may differ. Not all states make this a legal duty.

Which states? I'd like to know so I won't visit them. Has nothing to do with wanting to help someone else or not, but nobody should be compelled by force of law to do so.

-Mike

Which states? I'd like to know so I won't visit them. Has nothing to do with wanting to help someone else or not, but nobody should be compelled by force of law to do so.

-Mike
Off the top of my head, I don't recall. It's been a few years since that case in Las Vegas where the young girl was being raped and murdered and a bystander who could have stopped it didn't. He wasn't charged as there was no positive legal duty to rescue. I have better things to do than research it. Do a Google search and you should come up with a list of states.

I doubt the old man could tell the difference from a tree and a person next to it at 165 yards, and with a pistol? No way.

Just finished watching the finals of the 50 meter free pistol at the Olympics. At 165 feet, making a bench rest type shot would be reasonably doable. IIRC, the first shot his the perp in the thigh, non-fatally.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall. It's been a few years since that case in Las Vegas where the young girl was being raped and murdered and a bystander who could have stopped it didn't. He wasn't charged as there was no positive legal duty to rescue. I have better things to do than research it. Do a Google search and you should come up with a list of states.

I've never seen a single state that legally compels you to act in the defense of another. That's why I asked. (maybe I missed one?) The idea would be a legally dangerous concept.

-Mike

-Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue#Criminal_law
Criminal law

In some countries, there exists a legal requirement for citizens to assist people in distress, unless doing so would put themselves or others in harm's way. Citizens are often required to, at minimum, call the local emergency number, unless doing so would be harmful, in which case the authorities should be contacted when the harmful situation has been removed. As of 2012 there were such laws in countries including[1] Albania, Argentina[24], Austria,[25] Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia,[26] Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France,[27] Germany,[28] Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Spain, and Switzerland.

Wisconsin seems to have one and evidently some law school students think the rest of the country should too:
http://lsi.typepad.com/criminal_law...ave-a-duty-to-aid-statute-like-wisconsin.html

In any event, busybodies and libtards can pass as many laws as they want. Those who think for ourselves will continue to decide which ones will apply and which ones will not.

Hmmm...interesting form of argument. Assert something outrageous, and then when challenged to back up that assertion, state you have better things to do than research it. Sounds like...bullshit to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue#Criminal_law

Wisconsin seems to have one and evidently some law school students think the rest of the country should too:
http://lsi.typepad.com/criminal_law...ave-a-duty-to-aid-statute-like-wisconsin.html

In any event, busybodies and libtards can pass as many laws as they want. Those who think for ourselves will continue to decide which ones will apply and which ones will not.
And prosecutors in those jurisdictions with such a duty will continue to use their prosecutorial discretion regarding who they do or do not prosecute.

The old timer did a great job, but I also don't buy 165yds, that is 495'. I initially heard he was carrying a S&W Model 27 with a 6" barrel. Anyone know how far above the target would you need to aim to account for the drop of the bullet?

Wisconsin's Duty To Aid law says you have to assist OR report. I have better things to do the research whether anyone has actually been successfully prosecuted for failing to do either, but you can google it if you like.

In the case in question, I'm pretty sure the cops knew about the situation. That and it didn't happen in Wisconsin.

How many crimes happen in Wisconsin anyway, except for Grand Theft Cheese. The getaway driver was a well known thug called the "Cheese Wheel-Man". Even that case was tossed out of court because the case was full of holes. Or was that the evidence?

The prosecutor thought he had a gouda case, too.

Last edited:
If that was MA, the old man would be charged as a terrorist, assault with a Glock of mass destruction and disturbing the peace.

The old timer did a great job, but I also don't buy 165yds, that is 495'. I initially heard he was carrying a S&W Model 27 with a 6" barrel. Anyone know how far above the target would you need to aim to account for the drop of the bullet?

Back in the California desert, a USMC colleague took careful aim, fired, and pinged the 12" steel target at 175 yds with his Kimber .45. Said he couldn't see the target at all, and had to guess at the hold off.

He cleared the pistol, packed it away, and declared he was finished shooting for the day. Figured he'd end on a good note lol. So I've witnessed that it is possible to shoot that far, though granted my buddy wasn't under stress of engaging a thug.

- - - Updated - - -

"And in any case, I'm of the mind of MYOFB.
"

Just curious, are you saying that if you were the old guy in Texas you would have stayed in your recliner while the cop fought for his life - when you had a clear view from the flank.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom