Gun Transportation

In Waltham, where I live, I was given a class A LTC w/ restrictions for hunting & target. Provided that I keep my firearm &/ or shotgun unloaded & in a locked container in my car, do I have to be "GOING TO OR COMING FROM" my gun club to have the guns in my car. So for instance, can I be visiting my parents in Plymouth and have the guns in my car, provided they're locked up? Thanks very much for any replies.

As long as the firearm is in a locked container or made inoperable with a tamper resistant mechanical locking device and in a bag or case, then you should be fine. However, one would suggest that you becareful about keeping any firearm in your car if it's in an area where there's the possibility of said car being stolen. Personally, if I have guns in the car, I don't make a lot of stops before or after the range. [smile]

The target and hunting restriction means that's all you can use it for - you can't carry on your person, loaded and/or concealed. The important part is the firearm is locked up and meets the criteria of the laws.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Hey Lynne.
Thanks very much for your reply. I am a new gun owner, and I am new to this forum, having just joined the other day. Thanks for welcoming me.

Perhaps to clarify a bit - my understanding is that the second option (i.e., locked so as to make inoperable and in bag or [presumably unlocked] case) is not correct. The laws regarding trigger and other mechanical locks that make firearms inoperable as an alternative to a locked container relate to storage, not transportation. Your original assumption was correct - you need to transport your firearm unloaded and in a locked case or other container of some kind. The only other option is to have it in a locked trunk. Either way, whether it also has a mechanical lock that makes it inoperative is of no consequence. The applicable statute is here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm

And I'll add my "Welcome to the Forum" as well.

You do not need to be going to or coming from the range. But like Lynne said, I am very careful that if I have a gun in the car I only stop in areas that are lower in crime. You'll never see me leave my gun in the car here in Boston, for sure.

Thanks folks. Vellnueve hit on what I was really after, that is, the issue of going to or coming from the range. I realized the other issue of gun storage/transportation was something I could research myself by viewing the M.G.L. chapters, as I wouldn't expect others to do my work. But the "going to or coming from" issue is not easily found.
Again, thank you.

There is no such issue. Are you from New Jersey or something? (Seriously, I
think NJ is like one of the few states that has such a bonehead provision in
its laws. MA has no such bonehead legal prohibition on "where" (other
than standard prohibited locations) only "how". The only thing a
restricted license does (in this case) is prevent you from carrying a loaded
gun. (eg, CCW).

-Mike

The only thing a
restricted license does (in this case) is prevent you from carrying a loaded
gun. (eg, CCW).

-Mike
The restriction is in how the firearm is used, not carried to or from the range/competition/etc or while engaged in that activity.

Back
Top Bottom