Guns no longer banned from NH House of Representatives

KBCraig

NES Member
Wednesday 12/2 was "Organization Day", where the newly-elected NH legislature elects leadership, house clerk, sergeant-at-arms, and (in a joint session with the state senate) the Secretary of State and State Treasurer.

It's also that time when the House typically votes to adopt and continue the House Rules from the previous General Court, until the Rules Committee makes recommendations and the House as a whole votes on new rules. This motion is titled House Resolution 1.

Along comes Rep. Andrew Prout (R-Hudson), who offered up an amendment to HR-1, saying that instead of continuing the 2019-2020 rules, we would adopt the 2017-2018 rules, with the exception of the Covid-related housekeeping changes about deadlines and such.

That amendment was adopted overwhelmingly, as was the HR-1 (as amended).

What does that mean? Guns are no longer banned from the House chamber or gallery. And also, representatives are no longer required to attend sexual harassment training.

Any predictions on how hearings will be held this year?

Rumor has it this has yet to be voted on and whether or not members will be permitted to attend remotely.

I am concerned that if the public is not afforded the opportunity to seek redress in person that it waters down the process and becomes a violation of probably one of the most important guarantees/pacts/rights between citizens and elected officials

Its bad enough when reps are snoozing during hearings.....quite another thing when they can hide behind zoom.....
There was an attempt to bring this up today (by the minority), but it went nowhere.

Speaker Dick Hinch has a heavy burden when it comes to balancing all of this. I support him, but I don't envy him. It's never been truer that "6-1 is the loneliest seat in the House."

Zoom sucks for meetings. It's hard enough for our county delegation meetings, where there were only 10 max (usually 6 or 7), and the meetings were just pro forma to vote on things we knew would pass unanimously, and nothing controversial for public input.

The host of a Zoom meeting can just ignore raised hands, and no one would be aware. It doesn't work that way in a room full of people.

What does that mean? Guns are no longer banned from the House chamber or gallery.

How many times has this gone back and forth now?
I'm glad it is the way it is now, but what keeps it from getting axed the next time around?
Any way for the opposed to keep from messing with it?

Back
Top Bottom