Guns Ok for House Delegates, VA . . .

Guns Still OK in House of Delegates

By Lauren Page, Capital News Service
Richmond, VA

Delegates with a concealed-weapons permit are still allowed to bring their guns to work, as a resolution to restrict concealed weapons in the House of Delegates was defeated this past Wednesday.

The resolution sponsored by Delegate Lionell Spruill Sr., D-Chesapeake, would have prohibited the possession of a firearm at the House. Spruill defended his proposal prior to the deciding vote.

“It’s not safe here,” Spruill said. “When we have a heated argument on this floor, I will head for the first exit door.”

On Jan. 26, 2006, former Henrico delegate John “Jack” S. Reid’s handgun accidentally fired while in his office at the General Assembly Building.

In an effort to avoid similar accidents, Spruill’s resolution would have restricted the carrying of concealed weapons to police and security officers on duty.

Delegate Mark D. Sickles, D-Alexandria, said Reid’s accident does not warrant an amendment to the existing House rules.

“I voted against the rules change today because I think we have a reasonable policy,” Sickles said.

House Majority Leader H. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, said he opposed the resolution.

“I think this is a bad policy,” Griffith said. “It’s perfectly fine to carry that gun on the Senate side, but not on the House side, as this rule is written.”
Griffith said the resolution could have had other negative effects.

The resolution could have caused foreign and out-of-state dignitaries to stop visiting the Capitol if their security teams were not allowed to carry weapons in House-designated areas, he said. Dignitaries need to protect themselves and have done so when visiting the House in the past, Griffith said.

“If you think they weren’t armed, think again,” Griffith said.

Visiting dignitaries might feel threatened without guns, but citizen visitors to the House might feel threatened with guns present, Spruill said.

“I hope that we wake up and not allow the lobbyists to protest the citizens we represent,” Spruill said.

Griffith said some legislators need guns to protect themselves in case they are attacked. Had the resolution passed, delegates would have had to leave their guns in their cars on the Senate side of the Capitol or General Assembly building, he said. If attacked en route to their car or office, they would not have time to get to their weapon and defend themselves, Griffith said.

“I understand some people have a problem with guns, but we have to look at the consequences,” Griffith said.

Spruill said the resolution is for the safety of everyone in the House—delegates and visitors alike.

“I’m trying to save your life and mine,” Spruill said.

http://www.henricocitizen.com/defau...ame=&pform=&sc=1910&hn=henricocitizen&he=.com

“It’s not safe here,” Spruill said. “When we have a heated argument on this floor, I will head for the first exit door.”

What a punk.

I love how he wants to impose his will on others rights yet he works for the public.

It’s not safe here,” Spruill said. “When we have a heated argument on this floor, I will head for the first exit door.”

[grin] Many years ago, in a college poly-sci course I was taking, it was mentioned in passing that the aisle separating the two sides in the British House of Lords was deliberatly wide enough that you couldn't reach across with a sword. [laugh]

Regards
John

Keep going. In fact, if it's so unsafe maybe you should resign so a Republican can fill your seat!

Gary

He's just aware, consciously or not, of his own lack of self-control and what he'd do in a heated argument if he had a firearm, and projecting it on the world. Exactly what you'd expect from a liberal.

Back
Top Bottom