• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guy lets his license expire, what next?

Sparky1911

NES Member
A close friend of mine son got his Ltc, bought a few firearms ect. Well sounds like he let his license expire. What does he have to do with his current firearms? Does he have to give them up and re apply?

This.

I know a few people that were f***ing stupid enough to let their LTC lapse.....all they did was re apply......the po po never showed up to search their houses for guns they all got their ltc approved no questions asked.

They only do that AFTER you go on a shooting spree. Then they change the law that does not preclude another from doing this in the future, but ruins more rights for the rest of us.

See: Michael McDonald (was that his name? Went in and shot up his office) shooting 15-20 years ago.

I've never heard online of anyone getting the po-po to come and get their weapons. They regular police have more important things to do and hte AG and CHEOPS (god of bullshit laws) are too busy thinking up the NEXT stupid law.

McDermott! I couldn't find it at first.

A close friend of mine son got his Ltc, bought a few firearms ect. Well sounds like he let his license expire. What does he have to do with his current firearms? Does he have to give them up and re apply?
Renew it.

My Brother in law’s permit was expired for two years!!!! When he finally realize it he just renewed it. No issues at all.

storing a friends gun for him.
He's about 2 years lapsed on his LTC, his gun still sits in my safe. <shrug>
I've got you beat by 28+ years on that one. (though I had the guns FA-10'ed over to me since it would need an FFL out of state transfer to move them out of state). Still waiting for the call "I want my Colt HBAR and 1911" over 30 years later.

storing a friends gun for him.
He's about 2 years lapsed on his LTC, his gun still sits in my safe. <shrug>

My wife let hers lapse for almost 8 years when she was in grad school. It just wasn’t important to her at the time. It was just a basic renewal.

Mine never lapsed so there were no storage issues.

Renew and keep his mouth shut.
This. File a renewal application ASAP. If you're really worried about it, you or someone else with an LTC can take possession of his guns and store them until he gets his new license. I'm not an expert on the law, and this certainly isn't legal advice, but if I understand it correctly, possession of firearms with an expired license is a civil offense, not criminal, punishable by a fine. If he reapplied before the expiration date and wasn't officially denied renewal, his old license stays valid until the new license arrives or he's officially denied. From the police officers I personally know, the cops aren't going to give a shit about it (unless the guy is a scumbag that they're looking for any excuse to jam up), it'd be a DA looking to make a name for themselves who would be the biggest threat, but even then, they'd be risking shooting themselves in the foot by prosecuting a harmless person who made an honest clerical error.

Long story short: renew and move on.

This.

I know a few people that were f***ing stupid enough to let their LTC lapse.....all they did was re apply......the po po never showed up to search their houses for guns they all got their ltc approved no questions asked.
I’m one of those people. I let mine slide for a couple years (I carry on LEOSA) nobody said anything, they just renewed it when I reapplied

Im not sure but I dont think having the guns secured in your home is a issue , its when you go into public with your guns and no license and do stupid shit to attract attention

For the record . I have acquired several guns through local FFL because owners let license expire.

This. File a renewal application ASAP. If you're really worried about it, you or someone else with an LTC can take possession of his guns and store them until he gets his new license. I'm not an expert on the law, and this certainly isn't legal advice, but if I understand it correctly, possession of firearms with an expired license is a civil offense, not criminal, punishable by a fine.
True, provided the LTC holder:
- Had not the LTC suspended or revoked
- Is not ineligible to have an LTC
- Has not been denied a renewal of the expired license

Interesting loophole:
- An expired licensed cannot be suspended or revoked
- Therefore, the police can never reject the protection provided by an expired license provided all of the above 3 conditions are met.

ok guys,how about this ? my license ran out about 25 yrs ago,when i moved to florida. now i have to move back to mass. (ugh ) about next summer and i will just renew my license i guess. i'll let you know how that goes at that point. i will also be bring all my guns and safes,woo hoo.

ok guys,how about this ? my license ran out about 25 yrs ago,when i moved to florida. now i have to move back to mass. (ugh ) about next summer and i will just renew my license i guess. i'll let you know how that goes at that point. i will also be bring all my guns and safes,woo hoo.
Depends on the town. When they changed the law in 1998, persons that were properly licensed before that did not need to meet the new requirements. Some towns go along with that, others may require a safety course for issuance.

Renew and keep his mouth shut.

No need. From what I have been told it’s not a concern as long as you haven’t been found guilty of any crimes. The laws on renewals changed a few years back.

My wife let hers expire by mistake and it was a non issue. Mine is currently expired waiting for the state to issue a renewal.

Once you move out there is no “renewal” you have to apply in the town you are moving to and start the process over again. Since I am younger, I am going to assume back when you had it last there was no safety course. So you would need that in order to apply

Back
Top Bottom