Handgun Hunting in NH

smokey-seven

NES Member
I am aware of the NH law that says,
It is also illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges (except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols), or use full-jacketed metal case bullets;
and have in the past disassembled a magazine and plugged to to the depth that it would only hold 5 rounds.

As I read this law, it does not say, "capable" of holding more than five rounds, it just says, "holding more than five".

So a couple questions.

Can you hunt with a 6 shot revolver loaded with six shots? That's not a clip or magazine weapon but it more than five.

Do handgun magazines need to be plugged for 5 rounds max or just loaded to five rounds max?

Same question for rifle magazines.

I like living legally, and would also like not to have to plug my mags but I have no problem with loading them up to five only. I can never find the wooden plug I made for the last hunt.

I am aware of the NH law that says, and have in the past disassembled a magazine and plugged to to the depth that it would only hold 5 rounds.

As I read this law, it does not say, "capable" of holding more than five rounds, it just says, "holding more than five".

So a couple questions.

Can you hunt with a 6 shot revolver loaded with six shots? That's not a clip or magazine weapon but it more than five.

Do handgun magazines need to be plugged for 5 rounds max or just loaded to five rounds max?

Same question for rifle magazines.

I like living legally, and would also like not to have to plug my mags but I have no problem with loading them up to five only. I can never find the wooden plug I made for the last hunt.

Off the top of my head, since a revolver is not a "semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine," I would say it's pretty clear that the law as quoted does not apply to revolvers.

it already includes an exception for pistols. I have never been asked how many rounds were in my pistol. if you want to be extra careful call as pixel pusher suggested

Boghog said:
it already includes an exception for pistols. I have never been asked how many rounds were in my pistol. if you want to be extra careful call as pixel pusher suggested

(except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols)

I read that as an exception to 22 cal pistols and not a 45.

Yea, I just may have to call.

After tip toeing up on a moose that stood up 20 feet in front of me one deer season, I asked a Warden how I would prove self defense if I shot one.

He smiled and replied, "Powder burns."

Have you ever tried to back up in a hummock swamp?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom