Happiness is a WORN gun. From Harpers Magazine and NPR. Good read

He didn't want to continue because he's afraid his friends will desert him. He's probably right.

I don't know; I have many friends that are not of the same philosophical bent, and they deal, because they're actual friends.

Too bad that's not always the case, I guess.

I don't know; I have many friends that are not of the same philosophical bent, and they deal, because they're actual friends.

Too bad that's not always the case, I guess.

There are folks out there who will freak out the second they know you've got a gun. Looked to me like the author didn't want to risk upsetting that applecart. Of course, he put it in print, so if any weenie friends of his read it, they very well might run for the hills. This isn't to say that weenie-dom is limited to Boulder-area liberals, far from it.

Well, I printed it out and finally finished reading the article. I consider it an interesting mixture of good and bad.

To begin, Baum is often a bit snarkey when talking about some people on our side; vendors at gun shows "yelling" when talking to him, CCW course instructors who spend more time in jokes and personal stories rather than in self-defense topics, and some of his descriptions of his feelings when carrying.

Yet in other parts of the article he does tell the story of the CCW movement in accurate and positive terms.

Unfortunately his ending involves his decision not to continue carrying, mainly due to some of the negative feelings he attributes to the way he feels and acts while carrying. He also bemoans the loss of his ability to be in Condition White which he claims is the natural state of the artistic among us.

Overall, some good and some bad. It's almost as if he tried to appeal to and gain the approval of both pro- and anti-gun people in the same article.

I don't know why everyone just assumes that NPR is full of nutty ideologues whose prime directive is to push their agenda on the rest of America. If I had to guess I say "yes, most of them are liberals. So what?" They are not driven by rating and sensationalism the way everyone in the mainstream media is and I believe that they make an honest attempt to present as balanced and unbiased view as they possibly can.

Did you know that 2 NPR nuttos are actually on the FOX NEWS Sunday Roundtable? I always get a chuckle out of it.

Back
Top Bottom