• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmans Club

As a geologist, I have to say that one of the coolest things about HSC is the fact that it has one of Massachusetts' few remaining eskers on the property. In fact, the esker provides the berm against which a lot of the ranges are set.

Eskers are really interesting and unique glacial landforms. They form as ice tubes or drainage channels at the base of mile-high continental glaciers. As the glacier melts and recedes northward, a huge volume of water and suspended sediment flows through these drainage channels. They are an extremely high-energy depositional environment, such that all the suspended silt, clay and fine sand is carried further downstream, with the effect that the sedimentary deposits in eskers are usually coarse-grained gravel and cobbles. They are generally oriented north-south here in New England, reflecting the epiglacial drainage regime from north to south. After glacial retrat, the topographic manifestation of eskers are long, sinuous ridges typically 30-35 feet tall. Most of them are gone now because they comprise valuable sand and gravel deposits that heve been exploited by aggregate industries. Where they occur beneath the saturated zone, they form aquifers of extremely high transmissivity, capable of suppying yields to production wells on the order of thousands of gallons per minute.

Here's an aerial view of an esker in Manitoba.

GSC_esker_manitoba.jpg

I didn't have enough time last night to walk around, but as I was looking at topo maps of the club before the meeting started it was apparent to me that there was an esker on the property. When Lynn mentioned the esker on the property, it was all I could do to hold off raising my hand and making Arnold Horschack noises. [grin]

Last edited:
As a geologist, I have to say that one of the coolest things about HSC is the fact that it has one of Massachusetts' few remaining eskers on the property.

You can get walking access to a large portion of the esker, in Boxborough at the end of Swanson Road.

This link to google maps shows the terrain. You can clearly see the pits at HSC at the north end of the esker.

Last edited:
Somebody was apparently at another club last night, trying to get training time and bashing Harvard, saying that "the new regime" (that would be the same one that got RE-elected, right?) is "anti-LEO". I guess raising our fees makes us so. [rolleyes]

Dwarven,a police dept thinks that $100 a year for ALL it's officers to use(qualify,practice) our range is fair.Because HSC wanted more cash to accurately reflect range use, it was deemed unfriendly to LEO's,which is so far from the truth it's laughable.

Last edited:
Just joined Harvard tonight. I'm pretty excited! There were a lot of other new members, too... Anyone else join tonight?

And you announced yourself, yet I didn't pay attention to notice you. I was standing in the back waiting for the regular meeting afterwards.

Harvard Sportsmen

Hi All,
I'm thinking about joining Harvard, as I'd like to be able to do action shooting to keep my skills up. Does anyone below and have any info about the club? Additionally would anyone be willing to be a sponsor if I decided to join?

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm a member of HSC and I'm a bit bias on this but it's the best club in New England for sure!!! We have a ton of Action shooting pits, 100, 200, 300 yard ranges, machine gun range, indoor range, shotgun range, archery and more. If you're looking to get into Action Shooting it's the most active action shooting range in the state. YOU NEED TO JOIN THIS CLUB!!!

Hi All,
I'm thinking about joining Harvard, as I'd like to be able to do action shooting to keep my skills up. Does anyone below and have any info about the club? Additionally would anyone be willing to be a sponsor if I decided to join?
Just show up to the meeting or contact one of the officers to come down and get an application. (I'd sponsor you but they meet on my Lodge night, so I can never get to the meetings except in the summer!). Very friendly bunch, HUGE amount of ranges, very dedicated to the shooting sports!
I'm a member of HSC and I'm a bit bias on this but it's the best club in New England for sure!!! We have a ton of Action shooting pits, 100, 200, 300 yard ranges, machine gun range, indoor range, shotgun range, archery and more. If you're looking to get into Action Shooting it's the most active action shooting range in the state. YOU NEED TO JOIN THIS CLUB!!!
What he said!
what's the cost to join?
$150 initiation fee, $150 annual dues. Worth every penny.

Just show up to the meeting or contact one of the officers to come down and get an application. (I'd sponsor you but they meet on my Lodge night, so I can never get to the meetings except in the summer!). Very friendly bunch, HUGE amount of ranges, very dedicated to the shooting sports!

What he said!

$150 initiation fee, $150 annual dues. Worth every penny.

When are the meetings?

Do they run some sort of discount initiation? I heard they were doing that before but I'm not sure of the occasion.

Social Group

There's a Social Group created for members of NES/HSC, over in the Social Group area.

C'mon down! [smile]

I've decided not to renew at Mass Rifle, despite the fact that it's much closer to me than Harvard, and want to join Harvard. My boss is willing to sponsor me... does he have to be present at the board meeting for me to join? I was thinking about doing the board/new member meeting in November because I can't do it this week.

Also, how do they define student? I'm a 24 year old enrolled full time (actually, probably more than full time) in a doctoral program.

I went and did the new member's meeting tonight. Safety briefing on Sunday and then hopefully I'll be on the ranges soon afterwards!

No one has mentioned that a membership in the NRA is required to be a member at Harvard. In case anyone is counting their pennies. They'll sign you up at the meeting, if you're not. I know...I know, It's crazy to think that any of the good people here are not!

Bill

The is a HUGE problem with the NRA insurance - suits brought by members of the club are specifically excluded from coverage (or at least that was the case when I checked). Ditto for hunting accidents or any accident involving a firearm inside a motor vehicle

Are you really convinced that each one of your members would walk away from a wad of free cash to stay in good graces with the club? I am confident that many members would, but I doubt all would be so honorable.

I found better liability insurance elsewhere, but had to give the company the general building insurance (fire, etc.) as part of a package deal to get the liability coverage.

First Thursday night of every month followed by a briefing the sunday morning after. so this month's meeting is Thursday night.

Membership is $150 initiation plus $150 yearly for most members.

Back
Top Bottom