• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvest Right Freeze Dryer - my results

I’ve been on a skittles and ice cream circle of freeze drying. The kids and their classmates are siked!

Thinking about selling the skittles, people make good money on those.

I’ve been on a skittles and ice cream circle of freeze drying. The kids and their classmates are siked!

Thinking about selling the skittles, people make good money on those.
there are whole groups dedicated to selling freeze dried skittles. I guess the new machines have "candy mode" built in. Mine is running software version 2.4.3 or some such. No candy mode which is fine since I don't eat candy (other than dark chocolate).

there are whole groups dedicated to selling freeze dried skittles. I guess the new machines have "candy mode" built in. Mine is running software version 2.4.3 or some such. No candy mode which is fine since I don't eat candy (other than dark chocolate).

Yeah I’ve also heard of issues with the software update that has the candy mode, so I haven’t don’t it. My machine works just fine.

Thing is I’d rather wholesale it to a candy store, I don’t wanna be dealing with taking orders and shipping and all that.

Yeah I’ve also heard of issues with the software update that has the candy mode, so I haven’t don’t it. My machine works just fine.

Thing is I’d rather wholesale it to a candy store, I don’t wanna be dealing with taking orders and shipping and all that.
I hear ya! Some of them do farmers markets or set up etsy shops etc. Sounds too much like work to me!

Oh, my machine is so old HR states on their website to NOT update my software. I'm running something like 2.4.3 and they have 5.x.24 or some such!

Last edited:
Some pics from today. This is 4 trays of FDed Grain Free Hamburger Helper. Bagged up 0.8lbs (pre dried weight) and it weighs 4 oz per package. I get 3 meals per tray at this weight, 12 meals per run. This was second run. So I have 24 of these now.
hamburgerhelperFDed.jpg

Attachments

• HamburgerHelperBagged.jpg
    HamburgerHelperBagged.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 6
More food pictures.
I make a black bean cassoulet and usually eat it with riced cauliflower that I "stir fry." So I mixed in 1.5# of cassoulet and 1# of "rice" per tray. Decided to make these trays 2 meals. After FDing and bagging they weigh about 4 oz or a little less. That's 20 oz down to 4oz!

A picture of what it looks like in a pot on the stove top before FDing.

Attachments

• 20230627_194954.jpg
    20230627_194954.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230627_195004.jpg
    20230627_195004.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 8
  • CassouletwithRice.jpg
    CassouletwithRice.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 8
I just sold my freeze dryer since we are going to be traveling pretty much non stop for the next couple of years. I made a bunch of meals this year which will hopefully take me through my backpacking adventures for the next couple of years. I figured why keep storing it? We are trying to cut down on our storage unit costs. We also can buy a new one in a couple of years if I so desire. Texas may not be our "home base" in future years so downsizing what we are keeping is part of our plan.

Back
Top Bottom