• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hazmat gear and masks

I have four gas masks. All surplus but I believe some would actually benefit me quite a lot incase of nuclear apoc. What gas masks or hazmat gear do you guys have?

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Yugoslavian surplus with a gigantic can on it. It's a bit uncomfortable and I've never done even a bit of research on it to see what it's good for, but it's still something I consider to be beneficial to keep around. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, right?

What types do you have? Any particular reason for having 4? Are they all of the same type/cartridge?

Learning how to fit even a shitty surplus sportsman's guide mask is vital.

A mask not properly worn is worse than no mask at all. Or so has been preached to me .

All I have is a box of n95s wrapped in syranwrap and foil. And a handful of tyvex jumpsuits. I'll probably rely on my grundig fishing gear, a face shield and ductape if zombies come .

If nuclear. Iodine and red wine is pretty much all I can do.

I have two polish surplus masks with filters I got for $5 each. Hopefully they’re good enough for my larping and I never need them for anything else.

Serenium STF-75 with drinking tube, hood, special night ops optical correction lenses for shooting while donned, built in microphone and cord, and 65 cases of new spin on replacement filters.

Serenium STF-75 with drinking tube, hood, special night ops optical correction lenses for shooting while donned, built in microphone and cord, and 65 cases of new spin on replacement filters.

i had a funny feeling about you when you signed up here.

little too much COD in your moms basement I think.

+1 for Grundens fishing gear as mentioned earlier in the thread...and admittedly I never considered that an option until you mentioned it! Great idea :D

You need to be specific with "gas masks" and industrial respirators. One might be fine for mustard and no good for sarin, one might be OK for chlorine and no good for cyanide. A particulate or dust mask (even the kind for real small particle size) won't help with vapors or gasses. If you have a military mask with canister you have to research it to see what it will protect you from. Industrial filters will usually be labeled. The bigger problem is detection- you have to know what you are being attacked with so you can get the correct filter and decon gear. Mil type detection kits are sometimes available, but GCMS or ion cromatographs are usually out of reach.

yeah...i'm basically screwed if someone gasses me because I don't even have a clue what any of that means.
I’m with you. My masks were cheap combloc surplus and protect against.....something. I figure it’s cheap insurance against.....something.

I’ll take my chances. I’d recommend everyone get....something to guard against....something.

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Yugoslavian surplus with a gigantic can on it. It's a bit uncomfortable and I've never done even a bit of research on it to see what it's good for, but it's still something I consider to be beneficial to keep around. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, right?

What types do you have? Any particular reason for having 4? Are they all of the same type/cartridge?

I have a GP-5(Black), M10, M65 and a PMG mask. My favorite is my PMG mask. Not all same cartridge. The M10 is a garbage mask but looks neat.

i had a funny feeling about you when you signed up here.

little too much COD in your moms basement I think.

+1 for Grundens fishing gear as mentioned earlier in the thread...and admittedly I never considered that an option until you mentioned it! Great idea :D

I don't have a clue what COD is (other than cash on delivery) and never lived in anyones basement. Been paying my own way in my own home for 50 years.;)

Is there a site or info on standard 3M type commercial respirator full face mask styles, that you see for 200-300 dollars new once in a while.
It would be nice if there was a list of new production stuff, and what to use, not use.
even simple chemical suits, which to buy which not to buy. like gortex breathable maybe good in a nuclear dust event, but probably worthless for anything else.

I think you more likely to experience a chemical spill /gas cloud from an accident or fire (train tank truck etc)

I would rather have brand of new equipment that I know I can buy, than some surplus stuff that who knows what's been done with it and how old it is.

Probably most of this stuff, you'll just die slower. How do you decon to change the filter, how do you decon to change the suit? Do you have a positive air pressure house to stay in with a air lock to go outside?

There's a big forest of threats, I'm not going to concentrate on a tree.

I have the MSA full face gas masks ,with NBC filters. The big plus for me is the MSA mask is almost, if not exact as the MSA air packs I used in the Fire Dept. So putting it on was no big deal, just no air tank. With that problem solved, the more important issue-as discussed above- is knowing when you are under chemical attack. I have yet to address that problem.

I've got a pair of Drager CDR 4500 R55440's
2 Dozen CBRN NATO 40mm Cans. currently non-expired.
15 or so (like the above) but expired this year, still excellent for CS and Riot Control gases and for training with.
Stored in a pair of M45 carriers. One for home. One for truck.

Note: I have little hope that these would get me through a Nuke fallout or Dirty bomb.
These are more for "Hey, what the Hell? Who's idea was it to close of I-93 with protesters and why are the police shooting canisters in my direction?"...

Not paranoid...prepared.

~Matt

Draeger-CDR-4500-Face-Mask-R55440.jpg
iu
2969718153_74db8a07c0_z.jpg

Last edited:

Wait. Isn't that a sleep apnea mask?

Back
Top Bottom