Help ID this odd ball case.....

whacko

NES Member
Found a handful of these on the range today. Plastic case. Headstamp is 7.62x51 which in itself isn't odd other than the blue plastic case. Has a bunch of numbers after it I don't recognize. I'm thinking it's a less that lethal round but never heard of ltl in 7.62x51. Anyone seen this before?

Screenshot_20240528_181048_Gallery.jpg 20240528_181056.jpg Screenshot_20240528_181227_Gallery.jpg

I have some of that I've never tried - 308 indoor practice rounds, complete with a plastic bullet in the same blue plastic, from some military who I can't remember right now.
Thanks. Never seen them before. They were on the outdoor range.

Just did some research and it is from German military and requires a different bolt to fire it. German military used it for recruits to train before moving to live ammo.

DAG is Dynamit Nobel A-G, so yes, German. The bullet used is a 10 grain plastic one. Other NATO countries make them for training too..

I got to fire a few of those in an registered HK51 a few yrs ago. Not reliable but you'll sometimes get a long burst before the gun jams. For awhile that ammo was practically being given away because of how useless it usually is.

ETA: someone is going to go "but y tho?" It was covid summer 2020 and the only 762 nato we could get our hands on at that moment.

I read an article about these recently, and I remember that it said the rounds had very high velocity. So I just did some googling, and some sources report that the 10 grain plastic projectile moves 4700 ft/sec.

So I think these are designed for certain indoor ranges, but they are not designed for non-lethal uses. Nothing going 4700 ft/sec is at all safe to be hit with, and 10 grains at 4700 ft/sec is 490 foot pounds of energy.

I read an article about these recently, and I remember that it said the rounds had very high velocity. So I just did some googling, and some sources report that the 10 grain plastic projectile moves 4700 ft/sec.

So I think these are designed for certain indoor ranges, but they are not designed for non-lethal uses. Nothing going 4700 ft/sec is at all safe to be hit with, and 10 grains at 4700 ft/sec is 490 foot pounds of energy.
I don't want to be hit with anything at 3200 mph

dags-yda-like-dags-mickey-oniel.gif

Those were in use in G3 and MG3 with the German Bundeswehr. They were used at 50m "short ranges" and the local training area, the latter for AD using the MG3.
As opposed to service ammo they have a max. range of 400m and their velocity drops faster than the foam on a poorly drafted beer.

ETA: a VERY old Bundeswehr training firm about that ammo
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHBMoOkh4M

Last edited:

Wouldn't you mess up zero with these?

Back
Top Bottom