• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me Understand

Mushkie11

NES Member
So I am super new to this and have done tons of research. I know you can buy anything you want basically and the Mill has pretty much anything you want. What i don’t understand is the mass roster has Glocks on it. I know law enforcement can buy them but how do you determine what a civilian can buy? I may get flamed for this but just trying to understand this crazy liberal states roster.

Since this is going away soon I will answer
Just go to the Mill like a normal person, ask for what you want to buy, buy it, walk out 100% legal with zero issues and live your life (they do not sell anything illegal so buy without fear)

Maura Healey Massachusetts GIF by GIPHY News

I'll be nice - I'm in a good mood since my Form 1 got approved today.

Glocks are on the roster so that LEOs can buy them easily. Glocks were readily available at a time even at places like Bass Pro. Maura wanted Glock to jump through a bunch of hoops to become "MA compliant" and Glock gave Maura the finger. She went after Glock and said "since we can't outlaw them, we'll tell dealers they can't sell them since they won't listen to my demands" hence the "secret list of things you can't buy." The MA approved roster only applies to what dealers can sell and advertise, it doesn't apply to what you can own. By creatively following the letter of the law, dealers discovered they could "sell" Glocks, just as a frame transfer. Not all dealers are willing to do so, but the ones that don't suck cock or operate a deli counter (NES joke) will sell them. Figure out which one you want, and then go find a dealer at the Mill with what you want in stock. Simple as that.

I assume this is made to make fun of me for being new and green?
Dig around in the MA gun laws sub forum and you should find something about the 'secret' list. Basically the state AG ignores the published roster. Glocks are one of the casualties of that.

I'll be nice - I'm in a good mood since my Form 1 got approved today.

Glocks are on the roster so that LEOs can buy them easily. Glocks were readily available at a time even at places like Bass Pro. Maura wanted Glock to jump through a bunch of hoops to become "MA compliant" and Glock gave Maura the finger. She went after Glock and said "since we can't outlaw them, we'll tell dealers they can't sell them since they won't listen to my demands" hence the "secret list of things you can't buy." The MA approved roster only applies to what dealers can sell and advertise, it doesn't apply to what you can own. By creatively following the letter of the law, dealers discovered they could "sell" Glocks, just as a frame transfer. Not all dealers are willing to do so, but the ones that don't suck cock or operate a deli counter (NES joke) will sell them. Figure out which one you want, and then go find a dealer at the Mill with what you want in stock. Simple as that.
Awesome. Thank you! I read something about Glock not caving to that twats demands.

Here, as in NES and not Massachusetts I hope.
Correct. This state blows. Imagine in 2024 having to wait 4 months for a LTC. Excuse after excuse and if you ask questions you get threatened to put back in the back of the line. Crazy town

Handguns in MA are regulated under two different sets of laws. Both of which only apply to FFLs selling handguns. The roster is created under M.G.L. c. 140, § 123 enforced via regulation 501 CMR 7.00. This law and it's regulation are specific to firearms. The "secret list" is the result of the Attorney General applying the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act, General Laws Chapter 93A to handguns via regulation 940 CMR 16.00. This regulation adds additional "consumer safety" rules as to what handguns can be sold at retail. Law Enforcement is exempted from the Consumer Protection rules. To get on the roster a gun must be summited to an approved testing company and past a series of safety tests, such as a drop test. Once on the roster, a gun can be sold in MA. However, any FFL selling said gun (and it only applies to FFLs) must also meet the Consumer Protection rules as called out in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, at 940 CMR 16.00. It's under this regulation that things like a loaded chamber indicator and a child (under 5 years old) safe trigger are required. Now how the AG decides a certain gun on the roster also meets the Consumer Protection requirements under 940 CMR 16.00 is completely opaque. There is no testing agency and no list. It's basically try and sell it and see if the AG comes after you. In the case of Glocks, the AG has gone after FFLs selling them (as complete guns) to non-LEOs because of the AG claims that the loaded chamber indicator is inadequate.

So the "secret list" doesn't really exist at all. There is the roster, and there are guns on the roster that the AG has specifically said don't meet the Consumer Protection requirements (i.e. Glocks). However, just because a gun is on the roster doesn't preclude that at some future date the AG can decide that it doesn't meet the Consumer Protection rules. There is no "authority" for a manufacturer to go to that can certify ahead of time the the gun meets the Consumer Protection requirements.

Note that most manufacturers will not submit a gun for inclusion on the roster if they don't at least think it will meet the additional Consumer Protection requirements. Thus the MA version of many guns. For example, Sig only submits guns that have a LCI (loaded chamber indicator) for testing, since the third party testing is relatively expensive and requires the destructive testing of three guns. Another example is the ridiculously heavy triggers on the "MA Approved" Shields. I put "MA Approved" in quotes since there is technically no MA approval for meeting the Consumer Protection rules. There is only "MA Disapproved" (i.e. Glock) for those that the AG decides don't meet the rules. "MA approved" simply means that manufacturer (or more correctly the manufacturer's lawyers) THINKS the gun meets the Consumer Protection rules.

Back
Top Bottom