Help! Tony, Derek, and other highpower shooters

What type of matches are you wanting to shoot?

My take on that rifle is...It's not legal as a service rifle. It could be fit up as a match rifle, but if you're going to shoot a full OTC match the 1:9 twist is a bit slow for heavier bullets at 600 yds. Nice though. His buy now price is pretty high.

Frank

I agree with what Jarhead says.

That rifle would not be allowed in the Service Rifle category. The twist on the barrel would lend itself more towards varmints. I think the heaviest bullet you can stabalize with a 1:9 is 68 or 69 grains. Someone step in & let me know if I'm wrong here.

His price does seem pretty high. The rifle configuration seems pretty similar to Bushmasters Varminter, Varminter Special or V-Match which all list for about $1100 - $1250.

I don't know allot about optics, so you'd have to see how that effects his price.

CD

Thanks for the expert advice.

I should have made it clear -- I posted the picture only as an example of what a Colt Tatical Elite looks like. This is not the actual rifle I am interested in.

I would definitely agree the price for the rifle being auctioned is quite high.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

I sure wish I had never sold my 1960's vintage Colt SP-1. I am almost embarassed to admit how much I let it go for.

Jarhead said:
What type of matches are you wanting to shoot?

My take on that rifle is...It's not legal as a service rifle. It could be fit up as a match rifle, but if you're going to shoot a full OTC match the 1:9 twist is a bit slow for heavier bullets at 600 yds. Nice though. His buy now price is pretty high.

Frank

Frank,

At this point, I don't have my sights set on any kind of matches at all. It just that I have always wanted a highly accurate, well-triggered AR-15 to add to my little collection.

Truth be told, I am mostly a pistol and revolver kind of guy.

Cross-x... Definatly can't be used as a SR in comp. but it could be used in F-Class or at an any-any shoot or with a sight change it could be a match rifle.

As for the 1-9 twist I've had great results with 75Gr. Hornady match bullets out to 600 yards. 75Gr. A-Max will work well also if you take care to load them to within .001"- .003" of the lands. The A-Max don't like to jump a lot.

DD

Back
Top Bottom