• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with Hornady AP LNL press

I've had my Hornady AP Lock n load press for a few months now. There are a few things that are bothering me about the press so I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem and how they solved them.

1) The Powder drop will work itself lose after about 25-50 rounds and I have to continuely screw it back in. With large flake powders it can change the charge weight as well which is annoying.

2) The shell plate doesn't always click into place. When putting a shell in I have to push it forward for the plate to align so I can prime the shell. The same happens occasionally (but no always) when I pull the lever the shell plate will not fully enage and I'll have to manually move it the .1" so that all the shells are aligned with the dies.

If anyone has any solutions it will help.

I've run into #2 occasionally as well. I believe there are adjustments you can make to resolve it but it hasn't become a frequent enough issue for me to address. The instruction manual contains some info on it.

I haven't run into #1 but good luck with it. That's a scary one due to affecting the charge weight.

I'm not sure about the powder drop as I have not had that problem. Is the bushing rotating out of the press? I've had that issue and I've learned to just work with it. Teflon tape or thread lock the bushing will prevent rotating out.

With the shell plate indexing issue search for the "pawl adjustment" - the pawls are located at the bottom of the ram IIRC (not enough coffee yet). I think it's a simple screw adjustment.

Thanks for the help on #2. Will go through the manual. When I set it up I just watched Hornady's video on set up.

as For #1 it has become more frequent. The Bushing is rotating out of the press. Its the only bushing that does it. Maybe a defective bushing? Might try some tape or something. Maybe use a marker to see when it moves out.

I think you will find the issue with #2 is a firm consistent stroke, either the pawls are adjusted properly or not. If they work then leave them alone and they are easy to f&$k up and ruin something as well. Lube the detent in the plate and make full consistent strokes you will be fine JM2C

Don't go crazy with the pawl adjustment, a tiny bit of adjustment is usually all that is needed. I have never experienced #1 either. After reading post #5 is the o-ring in place on the bushing?

I don't understand how the die bushing comes out of the press, that's strange. Have you tried using a different die bushing from one of the other dies?

As 1903 said, if the o-ring isn't in place, it won't keep the bushing snug in the press.

I'm in a bit of a rare situation, as I work for a major manufacturer and have very complete test lab, prototype and production machine shop, and even machine maintenance "spares..."

If I ever have that problem, I would simply walk around the facility collecting like sized O rings with higher durometer or slightly larger cross-sectional diameter.

DIY options may include O ring selections at a Lowes or Home Depot... Given a choice, I'd shy away from threadlocker. I HATE "wet" fixes, what we call "goop engineering"

O ring is in place. I just loaded 300 rounds and it only turned a little bit, Maybe had to tighten it 1/4 of an inch after about 200 rounds or so. I doubt the timing would affect it but the timing is now perfect and it seems that has helped the bushing not work lose. Will keep an eye on it and see if it keeps happening now.

This guy goes through the set up of an Hornady progressive. Tips, tricks, etc. His channel is pretty informative, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with the bushing on the powder measure. I took the O-ring off, brought it with me to the hardware store, and found one about the same size but a hair thicker. Problem solved.

Call Hornady about problem #1 and they'll send you a new insert for the press along with a couple of very thin shims. The shim fixed it for me so I never went through the trouble of replacing the insert. I think the shim would eventually not hold it anymore but I replaced the press with a XL650 so I can't be sure about that. Reminds me, I need to replace it so I can try and sell the press....

if you're in a pinch you can do the o-ring thing, or do what I did and use a little rubber band between the flange for the die and the press body

I had the same problem with the bushing on the powder measure. I took the O-ring off, brought it with me to the hardware store, and found one about the same size but a hair thicker. Problem solved.

+1
Went to Harbor Freight to get O-Ring kit ("225 pc. Nitrile O-Ring Assortment", item 67609)suggested in Bill Morgan's Youtube video #3 (around the 21:55 mark). Installed the 22x3 mm (I think that was the size), and my powder measure doesn't move at all. BTY, his other Youtube video's are pretty informative also.

This guy goes through the set up of an Hornady progressive. Tips, tricks, etc. His channel is pretty informative, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
O ring is in place. I just loaded 300 rounds and it only turned a little bit, Maybe had to tighten it 1/4 of an inch after about 200 rounds or so. I doubt the timing would affect it but the timing is now perfect and it seems that has helped the bushing not work lose. Will keep an eye on it and see if it keeps happening now.

What exactly is turning? Is the actuating lever cocked to an angle and producing a turning force on the bushing? I have owned a few LNL APs, including on that the owner pretty much trashed and I had to rebuild and have never seen this. Could you post a photo as this has piqued in interest. I can't figure out how the regular motion of the press would cause the powder measure to rotate.

Regarding the pawls, the instructions in the manual are very clear, don't be afraid to make some adjustments 1/4 turn at a time. Just don't force anything and you won't break anything.

Chris

What exactly is turning? Is the actuating lever cocked to an angle and producing a turning force on the bushing? I have owned a few LNL APs, including on that the owner pretty much trashed and I had to rebuild and have never seen this. Could you post a photo as this has piqued in interest. I can't figure out how the regular motion of the press would cause the powder measure to rotate.

Regarding the pawls, the instructions in the manual are very clear, don't be afraid to make some adjustments 1/4 turn at a time. Just don't force anything and you won't break anything.

Chris

Not quite sure what you would like a picture of. The bushing just comes loose and needs to be tightening. Would be happy to provide one just not sure what to take a picture of. My guess is the oring probably needs to be changed as a few people have had a similar problem.

Not quite sure what you would like a picture of. The bushing just comes loose and needs to be tightening. Would be happy to provide one just not sure what to take a picture of. My guess is the oring probably needs to be changed as a few people have had a similar problem.

If talking about the OP's #1 question about the Powder Drop moving, you can kinda see what he is talking about in the YouTube I mentioned above.

....suggested in Bill Morgan's Youtube video #3 (around the 21:55 mark).

Am I correct tacticalpanda?

Back
Top Bottom