• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homesteading Skills

I just calculated that I’m going to spend over 600 on store bought eggs next year if the prices keep up in the Midwest.

Building a coop can’t be THAT expensive. I know lumber is coming down a bit too. Anyone have any good plans available?

I’m a decent crate builder/carpenter, so I think I can find my way through it…but I know it will take me months if I try and design something myself (I like to stand and stare at my project that I don’t know where I’m going with and it kills a lot of time).
IMG_20221230_131134005_HDR.jpg my chicken coop which is currently a chain saw coop. It's my take on the chickshaw, a rickshaw made for chickens. It has bicycle tires on the far side and i could move it 10 feet at a time with relative ease. The nesting box is on this side with a lift lid for ease of gathering eggs.

We keep 30-50 chickens at any time. I lose 8-12 to predators every year. I kill probably 20-25 predators a year. You're going to lose some and you're going to need to kill predators or they will keep coming back every 1-2 days and taking another once they get the first one
I just shot this opossum in my coop this morning.

It didn't kill any chickens, but it has been eating eggs.

dead opossum.jpg

I've trapped about seven raccoons in the last few months after they got two of my chickens.

Trapped Raccoon 09.01.2022.jpg

Last edited:
I just calculated that I’m going to spend over 600 on store bought eggs next year if the prices keep up in the Midwest.

Building a coop can’t be THAT expensive. I know lumber is coming down a bit too. Anyone have any good plans available?

I’m a decent crate builder/carpenter, so I think I can find my way through it…but I know it will take me months if I try and design something myself (I like to stand and stare at my project that I don’t know where I’m going with and it kills a lot of time).

In regards to the attached doc: I'm a noob at carpentry and it took me a (long) weekend. I didn't do the wheel because the small one is easy enough to lift with a partner and it costs sub $200 if I remember correctly. Check out his youtube above and look for the other plans as he has other plans for a larger coop if needed.

Attachments

• ChickShaw MiniMe with Cut List.pdf
    11 MB · Views: 21

In regards to the attached doc: I'm a noob at carpentry and it took me a (long) weekend. I didn't do the wheel because the small one is easy enough to lift with a partner and it costs sub $200 if I remember correctly. Check out his youtube above and look for the other plans as he has other plans for a larger coop if needed.
That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing. That guy has a shitload of content!

How many chickens do you house in the mini-me? Any problems with winter weather?

Here are more pics of my main coup. We added the clear roof after the first winter.
Have you thought about watcher catchment off the roof?

After seeing your pictures, I'm going to add a trapeze to my chicken run!
[thumbsup]

I need a complete rebuild of my chicken run after the heavy, wet snow on the 17th.

Wrecked coop run.jpg

That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing. That guy has a shitload of content!

How many chickens do you house in the mini-me? Any problems with winter weather?
Yea he did a lot of chicken stuff some years back but recently has been more into cow or other random homestead stuff.

I have 7 in mine. No external heat as of now and they seem ok. This is my first winter with them so I'll need to monitor...

Impressive setup. How long and at what cost did it take to get all that up?

The main coup and enclosure we built in 3 days. The roof we built a year later in 1 day. The small coup and small run attached we bought.

The coup was roughly $500 and enclosure roughly $250. The roof was probably $750 or so.

Yea he did a lot of chicken stuff some years back but recently has been more into cow or other random homestead stuff.

I have 7 in mine. No external heat as of now and they seem ok. This is my first winter with them so I'll need to monitor...
Depending on the breed, they'll do fine in the winter.

My NH Reds are fine down to the negative teens - that's when their comb and wattles need to be protected from frostbite.

You guys are making feel like a chicken slumlord. [laugh]

My coop and run are in for some upgrades in the spring. I am also adding lights to my batting cage right next to it, so I will be adding heat and lighting to mine.

You guys are making feel like a chicken slumlord. [laugh]

My coop and run are in for some upgrades in the spring. I am also adding lights to my batting cage right next to it, so I will be adding heat and lighting to mine.
You're not. The only thing I do is keep my water from freezing. If the shtf I need chickens that can survive bad weather, not some back yard lapdogs that need electricity when it gets cold out.

You're not. The only thing I do is keep my water from freezing. If the shtf I need chickens that can survive bad weather, not some back yard lapdogs that need electricity when it gets cold out.
6a1881689a0d5184c6d3d7cb1cd36bf8.jpg
SN67MVXJYUI6NOP3YML5E33GNM.jpg

If we ever went grid down I would block off the small coup and run I have and keep them all in the main area together, then move them inside the coup by hand on really cold nights to prevent frostbite.

The only reason I have two runs and coups is so when I buy new broods they can be kept separate to avoid carnage and the adults killing the youngins.

I have some RI Reds. They have been fine in S NH. They are good layers but dumb as rocks with zero personality. You can tell they were bred solely based on egg production and no other trait.

If you have mixed flocks the reds will get eaten first. They have poor herd mentality and poor awareness even with roosters trying to protect them.

Easter Eggers are my go to bird. Decent egg production. Nice, even the roosters. They have tight feathers and excellent grooming which prevents them from getting mites. They have excellent survival instincts the best of the breeds I've had so far.

If you want birds to lay eggs and then eat, get Brahmas. My biggest complaint is they get mites due to their size, which makes them less groomed.

i have not read this thread yet but i know there's a lot of chicken advice here....what are you seasoned chicken keepers doing for your birds this weekend? i'm keeping mine inside their coop. moved their food and water inside the coop as well.
i was also wondering about wireless thermometers......i need one that can cover the distance from house to coop (100 feet) plus be able to penetrate 2 walls (1 on coop and 1 on house). what do you have that works?
tia

My chickens are fine outside during day to -20F. They normally choose to stay inside when that cold, but at night if it is below 0°F I do make sure they all are in coup at dark. I'll go out to coup after they all roost and throw any in the run into the coup and close the coup door.

I only do this to avoid frostbite on their heads.

Most winter hardened chickens for apocalypse -> Brahmas.

My chicken of choice as a good compromise between food needs and health stability -> Easter Eggers

Back
Top Bottom