How many carry 1911's and worry about the thumb safety?

I had an uncle mikes Hip Holster and when un-doing the retention strap, the thumb safety would naturally fall down.
I'm worried about drawing with the thumb safety down and not realizing it.

Does this happen to others and what holster are you using?

Last edited:
Avoid using a holster that's designed to use a retention strap. The strap could easily fall into your gun's trigger guard and cause a ND as you try to reholster.

I like my Milt Sparks Watch 6 holster. It's an IWB design, and holds its shape even though the holster doesn't have a metal reinforce throat.

As a lefty carrying a 1911, it seemed that with whatever holster I tried, at the end of the day I'd find the safety disengaged about 1/2 the time. I tried 5 or 6 different holsters, and it was getting expensive. I fixed it with a Glock.

I been carrying a 1911 for 40 years in a holster with a retention strap.

When I take the gun out of the holster I push the left side of the holster with the thumb break away from the gun with my left thumb. This way the thumb safety has no contact with the holster as it's removed.

When I put the gun back in I have the retention strap out of the way behind my fingers.

But I don't think the holster is the problem. Your thumb safety should have a noticeable click when it's moved. It shouldn't be able to move with out a push from your thumb..

Is your thumb safety very loose? If so, perhaps addressing that may
help. I have never had the thumb safety disengage, but I carry
with an Andrews Leather McDaniel 2 IWB, no thumb snap. Nothing
against Uncle Mike's but I think you should try a higher-end holster
designed to retain your pistol without a snap.

F

1. Toss the Unkle Mikes and get a real holster.
2. I have a holster where the sweat shield sometimes disengages the safety.
3. No, I don't worry about it. Keep your ****** finger away from the trigger until you are on target. Maybe I should be more worried about it than I am, but I'm not.
4. What is so much more dangerous about drawing a 1911 with the safety off than drawing a Glock?

Thumb safeties and cheap holsters

1. Toss the Unkle Mikes and get a real holster.
(SNIP)
4. What is so much more dangerous about drawing a 1911 with the safety off than drawing a Glock?

Totally agree on point one. The Uncle Mikes are fine for holding your pistol at the range, but not much more. A good quality holster, with a rigid opening is a must for pistol carry.
One of the most common problems with the “floppy” holsters is shooters tend to hold the top open with your weak hand as you insert the gun with your strong hand. Consequently can sweep your weak hand with the muzzle of the loaded pistol as you re-holster.
This is an obvious safety infraction and in practical pistol competition (USPSA/IPSC or IDPA) will get you disqualified from the event.

As for point two, your thumb safety detent needs to be deepened or the safety itself needs adjustment. It should go on/off with a positive “click”.

Good luck.

Michael.

Ummm, maybe the single action, very short throw, very light trigger pull on one's custom 1911?

Who said anything about custom?
Trouble maker! [smile]

I've never carried a 1911 but might at some point so this is interesting to me. I have a S&W and I think it is OVER 'safetied' IMO. Too many safeties=unreliable in my view. I'm the only safety I trust. ;)

Even with the safety off, it still wont go off until you squeeze the grip AND pull the trigger.

I've had the safety click off on mine a couple of times using a good Tucker holster with a sweat shield but I really don't worry about it.

It still has one more safety than a glock even when the thumb safety is off !

I carry a 1911, commander size, everyday. I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2. I have not had 1 instance of the thumb safety disengaging.
I did have that happen once using a different holster, I think I may have pushed the gun against the sweat guard while holstering.

As others haved said, get a good holster thats designed to fit your gun, and your chosen method of carry, make sure the safety is functioning properly.

Or you could get a gun befitting the uncle mike's nylon and carry a glock.[wink]

Been carrying a 1911 for years in a thumb break holster and have never had the safety disengage.

When the great and holy one, John Moses Browning, designed the greatest pistol ever known to man it did not have a thumb safety. The thumb safety was added later at the Army's request.

That being said, the thumb safety is a good thing and you should consider a new holster.

Who said anything about custom?
Trouble maker! [smile]

I've never carried a 1911 but might at some point so this is interesting to me. I have a S&W and I think it is OVER 'safetied' IMO. Too many safeties=unreliable in my view. I'm the only safety I trust. ;)

Just make sure whatever 1911 you carry will go BANG every time you need it to. This may involve having Greg Derr tune the grip safety if it won't release when you grip the gun under stress-fire conditions.

Got it. I'll try a new holster.
I know the Uncle Mike's is a little cheap and I should probably get a different one.

Ummm, maybe the single action, very short throw, very light trigger pull on one's custom 1911?

Yup, I sure feel a lot less safe with the short throw, 4 lb trigger on my carry 1911 versus the short throw, 3.5 lb trigger on my Glock 34 [wink]

Even with the safety off, it still wont go off until you squeeze the grip AND pull the trigger.

I've had the safety click off on mine a couple of times using a good Tucker holster with a sweat shield but I really don't worry about it.

It still has one more safety than a glock even when the thumb safety is off !

Actually all Glocks have 3 internal safeties.I def. wouldn't trust a grip safety especially if one dropped the gun for some reason.[smile]

I've never had a 1911 safety disengage in the holster... I guess I can see
under some circumstances how it would happen, though. Probably
easy enough to fix with the right holster.

-Mike

Underwhere, where do you live/work? If you are anywhere near N. Attleboro/Waltham
you can check out the two custom holsters I have for my commander
(McDaniel 2,Tauris Reinforced High Ride).

In the event a Condition 1, thumb safety off, Gov't Model is dropped and lands on its backstrap, the grip safety prevents the trigger and trigger bow from tripping the sear through inertia (actually, the phenomenon would be momentum, but it is referred to as inertia) causing the trigger to move back exactly as if a finger had pressed it.

Maybe I'll start carrying one of my 1911's. I just picked up a Kimber today :)
Need a holster now.

8ertlw2.jpg

Last edited:
All 1911's are old outdated technology....very dangerous. They've been around for nearly 100 years and need to be replaced with plastic striker fired guns. Remember progress is ALWAYS good...even if it's done only for the sake of progress....(it's a Liberal's mantra)

Send your junkers to me and I'll take those unsafe pieces of crap off your hands. I'll do anything for my friends here at NES.

If I win as part of the season ticket buy, I might even give you a pittance for them.

I always wonder why people worry so much about the safety getting brushed off while carrying their 1911 in Condition 1. I carried my Commander that way for years and never had a second thought about it. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger, and avoid attempts at speed re-holstering, you'll never have a problem. Maybe if one were to simply remove the safety all together, so that it looks more like a Glock, people wouldn't get as upset with the non-problem.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom