How many of carry an extra clip when they CCW?

spares always

I carry a model 60, its has (as you already know) 5 rounds in it. i carry an
extra 5.

For you semi auto folks at least one spare mag is a must. As Len said
the mag is the weak link. Seen enough of this at IDPA. And as Darius
mentioned, a mag carrier is very important. Make sure to orient it properly
so when it comes out it will be inserted correctly.

Its no secret that when you need it, you need it now. Here's a brief scenario,

you take cover, and find you have to reload, you mag is in your left pants
pocket, without standing up, take the mag out, without looking at it
insert it into the mag well. Its your choice.

JimB

J-frame, or Colt Mustang Pocketlite: Nope , it's "least gun" option

Sig 220 : Not on waistband , shoulder rig has 2 spares to balance weight.

Para 1911 : umm ... not yet. new gun , still accessorizing.

I do however ALWAYS carry a good knife , a good flashlight , wallet, watch , damn cell phone.

I am curious how many of us carry an extra clip. If you do do you have a recommend method (Pouch, or belt clip?)

Fee

Since I don't carry my M1 Garand while CCWing, I usually don't carry any
extra clips. [laugh] Sometimes if I have a semi pistol I'll carry an extra
magazine, though. If I ever get a revolver that uses moon clips, I'd probably
carry at least one extra clip.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

-Mike

I dunno... I don't see that as too horribly much for every day carry.

+2 to that... there were occasions where I carried a lot more than that
with me. Jose's loadout is pretty light and likely non-cumbersome for
him. That's the idea.... find something to carry that will keep you
carrying it whenever you can.

-Mike

I've been using my little S&W .40 compact. The magazine capacity is only 8, so I like to carry the extra. They are really tiny.

It depends on method of carry. With a belt holster it's just what's in the pistol. If I use the shoulder holster it has a dual mag carrier so I'll have two full spares - mostly for balance.

Iffin' I ever need 46 rounds I'n in way over my head. [thinking]

I just carry my Dillon 550B in a backpack with a small supply of primers and powder and bullets. That way all I have to do is pick up my brass, manufacture some new rounds, and keep on fightin'.

Funny how people are so quick to criticize others for using the wrong terminology when in fact it shows how ignorant they are themselves.
I own a semiauto pistol that does in fact use "clips" to reload and there are many revolvers that use moon "clips".

Rather than trying to make people look stupid publicly, try sending a PM and explain the proper terminology or do it tactfully in the thread. Not everyone is as smart as you are.

Funny how people are so quick to criticize others for using the wrong terminology when in fact it shows how ignorant they are themselves.
I own a semiauto pistol that does in fact use "clips" to reload and there are many revolvers that use moon "clips".
I do have a few rifles (Garand, SKS, Enfield, Swedish Mauser, Mosin-Nagant) that use clips. And I have a S&W 625 that uses moon-clips. I don't have any semi-auto pistols that use clips.

I'm not sure just who you are flaming at. If it is my post that you are responding to:
I don't carry extra clips, since the guns that I carry don't typically use them.
then I think your response is a little over the top, don't you agree? But then, I guess I'm just ignorant.

My 'clipped gun doesn't fit in my pocket (5" SW625), but with my others I'll either bring a couple singlestack mags or "not-so-speedy" speedstrips- they lay nice and flat in the pocket, and add availability of 12 more rounds to my 5-shooter.

If carrying an autoloader, always extra mags- the SNAFU coefficient is just too high.
I love my SW642 for just this reason. You don't even have to clear your pocket to shoot it- fully enclosed hammer. May not be comfortable when it goes off, but if it keeps me alive, who cares about a little cylinder gap- or muzzle- blast?

ParaCarry 6.45: I carry a spare mag in my back left pocket

642CT: I carry a spare speedloader in my front pocket

I always have my cell phone, ColdSteel pigsticker and my OC 10%

You'd never know I was carrying anything. May have to try IWB with my NorthFace shorts however - pockets are too deep and thin to carry comfortably.

BTW - The "clips vs magazine" debate is so tired...I suppose everyone calls tissues by their proper name and not Kleenex...That would be ignorant after all. For what it's worth, my grandfather jumped into Europe during WWII and trained Airborne troops for Korea. He called anything that held bullets and went into a gun a "clip"...I never had the balls to tell him he was wrong or ignorant. Any moron knows that when someone is talking about a "clip" for a 1911, they mean magazine...Only dumbasses argue this point anymore....

For the record, I call them "bullet holder thingys".... [wink]

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know everyone would carry so many rounds. I feel comfortable with 5 rounds most the time with my J. Otherwise just what I have in my 1911is fine enough. Where do you guys usually carry? Baghdad? LOL. If I miss with 5 rounds, then I probably shouldn't have been shooting.

*WARNING OFF TOPIC* If you haven't tried Boulder Beer Company's Beer, espcially, COld Hop and Hazed and Infused, you really missing out on an asskicker.

Last edited:
BTW - The "clips vs magazine" debate is so tired...I suppose everyone calls tissues by their proper name and not Kleenex...That would be ignorant after all.

Terrible comparison. There is a word which describes the whole "kleenex
vs tissues" thing, but I forget what it is offhand. Clip vs Magazine is a
wholly different type of nomenclature abuse- like calling a bottle a can-
they're two different objects that are obviously not the same.

For what it's worth, my grandfather jumped into Europe during WWII and trained Airborne troops for Korea. He called anything that held bullets and went into a gun a "clip"...I never had the balls to tell him he was wrong or ignorant.

IMO he has the right to call them "Jerry B Gone" dispensers if he wants
too, fine by me... guy's more than paid his dues.

Any moron knows that when someone is talking about a "clip" for a 1911, they mean magazine...Only dumbasses argue this point anymore....

For the record, I call them "bullet holder thingys".... [wink]

I don't think anyone is arguing anything- but when I get harped on
9000 times for using an incorrect term (eg clip vs magazine) I tend
to remember it. I said what I said as a lighthearted jab at the OP, nothing
more. If I tried to "correct" every gun inaccuracy I heard come out of
some random person's mouth, I'd get a sore throat in doing so, so it's
generally not worth it. Time can be spent doing other things. We have
bigger problems in the shooting PR world than clip vs magazine.

-Mike

Last edited:
If I miss with 5 rounds, then I probably shouldn't have been shooting.

In my case, it's more of a "what if a *needed* round doesn't go bang...." better to have too many than not enough, especially when the jeans companies still give us those nifty pocketwatch/ lighter/ speedstrip pouches.

In my case, it's more of a "what if a *needed* round doesn't go bang...." better to have too many than not enough, especially when the jeans companies still give us those nifty pocketwatch/ lighter/ speedstrip pouches.

Funny how many times the "what if" is used too. What ifs makes concealed carry exist with all thier bantar. How many misfires, and or bullet(not user and only factory)related problems have you encountered. Seeing thousands and thousands of rounds through a gun(s) and rarely a bullet related misfire or malfunction (maybe user, but not directly the round, and this is FACTORY not reloaded) makes me wonder how many people shoot ultramax or "plastic bag for >$10" stuff everyday. If our going to carry a gun, test the ammo consistently, and not cout on another magazine, because the chance and possbility of doing a reload (and correctly) under stress is inconsistent for a polcie officer, let alone a normal gun carrying citizen. Carrying a gun, you should rely on training, and not the 17th. Also a J frame speed loader, which with the proper distractions, one might as well carry another j-frame to save killing time(on your half).

Just my thoughts and commets to spur intelligent discussion.

Ammunition malfunctions aren't really the issue. How many regular pistol shooters, who use only quality equipment and the best ammo haven't had a failure to feed due to a bent magazine lip? Anybody got a really quick and effective drill down pat to remedy a double-feed (type 3) malfunction? The simple fact is that the only reason that any sane person whose job doesn't require it would bother carrying is because the realize the simple fact that shit happens, and usually at just the wrong time. Once you really internalize that fact, the question should really be "Who carries a pistol but doesn't carry at least one extra magazine".

Ken

Wow I didn't know everyone would carry so many rounds. I feel comfortable with 5 rounds most the time with my J. Otherwise just what I have in my 1911is fine enough. Where do you guys usually carry? Baghdad? LOL. If I miss with 5 rounds, then I probably shouldn't have been shooting.

*WARNING OFF TOPIC* If you haven't tried Boulder Beer Company's Beer, espcially, COld Hop and Hazed and Infused, you really missing out on an asskicker.

It's not that I think I'll have to fight off an large force of evil ninjas anytime soon, it's more about having a spare part for something that is very important to have work when you need it to work, if that makes sense.

I try to carry an extra mag except when I'm feeling really lazy. I don't really carry it for the extra rounds, I just carry in case of a malfunction.

Yeah, I guess once you've made the decision to carry in the first place then you might as well carry at least one extra magazine. Myself, I haven't got to the decide to carry stage yet. I really don't want to go through the pains of getting an MA LTC (where I work), and the rest of my life I'm in relatively safe NH.

I normally carry a North american arms .32 in an IWB holster, Spare mag in the 5th pocket of my jeans, cell phone, keys, wallet, spare change, pocket knife and in most cases sun glasses. i think it's too much, but i dare not go out without any of it. It all has it's place and you'd never know i had anything other than keys on me. i guess it comes down to how well you work all you stuff to fit on you. i've seen some guys and it's so obvious that they're carrying.

J frame with 4 in a "speed" strip. 2 on each end, with the middle 2 empty. I figure if I need to reload, it would be better to easily get 4 in the gun NOW than fumble around trying to get that last round.

Same reason I like the SKS over the AK, easier to load 10 NOW with a clip than 30 in a couple seconds using the magazine.

I use a smartcarry alot. I also found that the smooth mag likes to 'work' it's way up and quite often pops over the top and falls out. I hate it when it does that.
I find that the performance is largely dictated by the belt and pants I wear over it and how they lay on my hips (or lack thereof). I rely on that to tuck things in closer and keep them from working around. I rarely carry so when I do I can easily select pants I know will work.

Same reason I like the SKS over the AK, easier to load 10 NOW with a clip than 30 in a couple seconds using the magazine.
Same reason I like an AR15 over those two. I can reload with 30 in half the time it takes you to strip 10 in an SKS.

Back
Top Bottom