How much for a generator transfer switch?

I appreciate all the great advice. I went down to HD to check out what they had. I was looking at a Coleman with a Suzuki engine (does that sound right?) It was about $500 and it appears it would do anything I would need and is on wheels. Maybe next years I'll have a transfer switch installed[wink]

Maybe. They had a Coleman Powermate 5Kw, 10hp Subaru for $599 but on sale for $399 the last couple of weeks. I got a Powermate 5.75Kw, 10hp Yamaha on sale for $399, regularly $699.

Does the generator stay outside or did you run an exhaust?

I bought a cheap-o generator for work once in a pinch and it was loud as hell. Check the decibel ratings when making a purchase.

Mine runs 60db at 5ft, similiar to a lawn tractor. But on a cool fall/winter night you can hear it for a 1/2 mile. We had an outage lasting 5-6hrs just before halloween last year. the next day the neighbor across the street says..'your generator is pretty loud when it's running'...me: "really? I couldn't hear it over the TV " LOL

The Coleman is a good unit and should serve you well. Get the transfer box when you can - it will be worth your time and money. One cord to run, some switches to flip and other than checking gas, you're living large.

In the meantime, try and get a good contractor grade extension cord, (thick yellow). They're expensive, but worth it. I've plugged in the lower grade orange cords and they've been warm to the touch - the contractor cables are good to go. A couple of surge protectors won't hurt either....

Back
Top Bottom