how to get a ct hunting lisence if im from ny?

hi, i was wondering if anyone knew how to get a connecticut hunting lisence if im a ny resident. i ask because my buddy has 100 acres i can hunt and i only have a ny state hunting lisence. I really dont want to take another hunter saftey course so if someone could help me out that would be great. thank you

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=429010&depNav_GID=1633

Looks like you should be good according to this:
No hunting or trapping licenses will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they have held a RESIDENT license in the respective sport within the last 5 years OR the person has a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms (CE/FS) course (or recognized equivalent)

They don't specify that you need a resident license from Ct.

If you have taken the hunt ed class, even if this was in NY you should be able to walk into any place that sells ct licenses and just buy one. Sometimes they ask to see you hunter ed card, and other times a license from another state is ok.

In Ct you have to have a hunters Ed class if you dont have a CT resident license in the last 5 years. You can take a qualifying course in your own state. I took the CT course for bowhunting as it is recognized nation wide.

In Mass as long as you have a residence license from your state of origin then you don't need to take the hunter's ed course.
Non-resident adults must show a Hunter Education course certificate or previous license from any state
. I was trying to state that CT could be similar. Poor choice of words is all.

In Mass as long as you have a residence license from your state of origin then you don't need to take the hunter's ed course. . I was trying to state that CT could be similar. Poor choice of words is all.

No, you stated he "should be all set" and quoted the CT law not fully comprehending what the law actually stated.

Mass laws specifically state "from any state" CT laws do not. No reciprocity is implied anywhere.

Ct laws state you have to have held a "resident license" which means you must have been a resident and possessed a hunting license in CT in the last 5 years. If you are/were a non resident you cannot legally obtain a "resident license"

I went through all this years ago when they changed the requirements for non residents for hunting licenses. I had old bow licenses for each of the 10 years prior to the changes. Reguardless I had to go take the archery course in order to get another one even though I had been hunting in CT as a non resident for the past 10 years. I believe that was in 2001 or so.

Last edited:
I live in Mass and been rifle hunting in CT for about 8yrs now. I walked into the nearest town hall, showed the clerk my MA hunting Lic.(first time only) payed $67.00 walked out with Ct Lic. Then you have to get your deer tags, cost $50.00 from DEP. I go to Hartford and pick them up, you still have time to order them through the mail. Happy Bambi slamming! [laugh]
Note- this may be the last yr for me, fees may double next yr. [shocked]

I live in Mass and been rifle hunting in CT for about 8yrs now. I walked into the nearest town hall, showed the clerk my MA hunting Lic.(first time only) payed $67.00 walked out with Ct Lic. Then you have to get your deer tags, cost $50.00 from DEP. I go to Hartford and pick them up, you still have time to order them through the mail. Happy Bambi slamming! [laugh]
Note- this may be the last yr for me, fees may double next yr. [shocked]

You sir have been lucky![smile]

He should be all set. The original post the user stated they didn't want to take another hunter safety course thus implying that he already took a hunter's safety course.

That being said, it looks like bow hunting in CT requires a course for anyone since 2002? I could be mistaken, but this is what I found. It may explain why Lignum Vitea was able to renew without taking a course but you were not.
Who should take courses?

* All first time hunters at least 11 years old and trappers of any age.
* Those hunters who have not held a resident license within the past five years from another state or country.
* After January 1, 2002, all persons who wish to hunt with a bow and have not taken the CE/FS bowhunting course or its equivalent.

He should be all set. The original post the user stated they didn't want to take another hunter safety course thus implying that he already took a hunter's safety course.

He probably is as long as the course he took is accepted by CT. The Bow Course has to be NABHA associated to be accepted. I think if he took a NRA associated course he would be ok.

If it is not an accepted course that he took he may have to take another. Chances are slim thought that his course he took is not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom