• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how to store guns and ammo underground

Lets assume one day in the distant future(ahem) an evil government tries to seize our weapons.
How can you store weapons and ammo underground so that the imaginary evil government doesn't find them . I would imagine that you hide them off your own property as they have imaging devices etc
Who would have thought having a post like this in the USA, Sad isn't it

Imaging devices to detect illegal ammo caches? C'mon man.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but before it comes to that either the "evil government" will be eliminated or any resistance will be crushed. I'm not going to be hiding anything, if they want them they can come take them.

Firearms seizures would happen at a local level. All you need to do is think of the amount of effort the local police would go through to confiscate your lawfully owned firearms. I would recommend having a secondary "cache" if/when that day ever came along... I think those "tubes" that the mossbergs come in would be a nice backup plan.. Being an ex boyscout and wanting to be prepared and all....

Oil rifle well and vacuum bag it. Oil bolt well and vacuum bag it. Vacuum bag loose ammo. Put content into PVC pipe with screw on top. Add oxygen absorbers, close and wait 24 hours. Open and quickly add desiccant. Close and tighten to spec. The package is ready to be stored. Alternative to O2 + desiccant is insulating foam.

However, keep in mind that burying guns and ammo on someone else’s or public property might be illegal. Furthermore, if the weapon is registered to you and is ever uncovered and used to commit crimes… [wink]

As others said, if gov. is actively searching your property for confiscation, you probably better of giving to as many agents as possible a serving of lead. If you don’t - hope they don’t pull Turkey on you. If they do – I sure hope you have a shovel nearby. [grin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its easy to imagine places way out in rural country where you could bury the cache with low risk of it being discovered. If you happen to own a large number of acres, you're in good shape since it would be prohibitively difficult to search it all, and you have control over what happens on your land that might accidentally disrupt a cache. If public land or someone else's land, things get more interesting (and perhaps illegal - I really don't know and am not recommending it). You can find what seems to be a perfectly good spot far from any road or path deep in the woods. Then, all of a sudden, the owner decides to do some logging activity in the area and you have heavy equipment driving over the cache. So, there's some risk there.

What I'd be more interested in knowing is if the cache designs actually work. Most people say to use the PVC pipe with cap screwed on one end, but I've also heard those leak. I don't own any guns that I hate enough to risk with a trial burial to see what happens to it a year later. It might be fun to try with some non-valuable object in it to see what happens to them. If I ever get around to trying it (don't hold your breath), I'll let everyone know how it worked, with pics.

What I'd be more interested in knowing is if the cache designs actually work. Most people say to use the PVC pipe with cap screwed on one end, but I've also heard those leak. I don't own any guns that I hate enough to risk with a trial burial to see what happens to it a year later. It might be fun to try with some non-valuable object in it to see what happens to them. If I ever get around to trying it (don't hold your breath), I'll let everyone know how it worked, with pics.
I'd love to see a trial with pieces of scrap iron buried in a PVC pipe setup, with and without other measures such as pre-sealing in plastic or mylar.

Burying PVC pipe with hardware would be easy, too. Just rent a gas-powered post hole digger and dig down deep enough to simply drop the tube vertically into the hole and then simply cover. I used one of those machines last year and it made making holes a whole lot easier!

Rome

Use a Food saver. The make rolls so you can make any length bag you want so you can also store your long guns. I'm sure the bags will last a long time before they would deteriorate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burying PVC pipe with hardware would be easy, too. Just rent a gas-powered post hole digger and dig down deep enough to simply drop the tube vertically into the hole and then simply cover. I used one of those machines last year and it made making holes a whole lot easier!

Rome
It would be perfect if you were installing a metal chainlink fence yourself. Just bury your guns right along the fence line. No one would suspect a thing since you are already out there digging multiple post holes and the chainlink fence would help hide the guns from most metal detectors.

Next wake you go to just ask for a moment alone with the deceased.
[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

CLMN

Use a Food saver. The make rolls so you can make any length bag you want so you can also store your long guns. I'm sure the bags will last a long time before they would deteriorate.
Someone much smarter and wiser than me once said: "Never bury long guns. They are too difficult to bury and much too easy to detect. Bury handguns and when the shitstorm crisis begins, use the buried handguns to go get yourself some long guns."

CLMN

Don't bury your guns. Put them into a waterproof container and hide them in your septic tank. NOBODY IS EVER GOING TO LOOK IN THERE

Don't bury your guns. Put them into a waterproof container and hide them in your septic tank. NOBODY IS EVER GOING TO LOOK IN THERE

It's a gross but not uncommon idea. Search "septic tank" +weapons and see what turns up. Bodies, guns, ammo, all sorts of goodies. If there's enough reason to look, the septic tank will be pumped.

It's a gross but not uncommon idea. Search "septic tank" +weapons and see what turns up. Bodies, guns, ammo, all sorts of goodies. If there's enough reason to look, the septic tank will be pumped.

In the book Lucifer's Hammer, one of the brainiac survivors baggied his library with mothballs and insect spray and sank the whole library in his septic tank. He brought Volume 1 of "How Things Work" and when he found a safe place for sanctuary, he used the book as an advance payment on his "entry fee". The rest of the library was various versions of the encyclopedia, Foxfire Books, chemical, medical, math and engineering texts, piles of classic literature, etc.

Just thought I'd share that [rofl] it came to mind when the septic tanks were mentioned!

this reminds me of an old Uki joke:

Daughter: Father, why are you watering flowers in the yard with oil, they will die!
Father: damn those flowers as long as my guns don't rust

I think that the most productive methods of gun confiscation weren't going around with metal detectors. ( I heard using boiling water in some case helps to find soil abnormalities), it was just plain violence against family members.

In the book Lucifer's Hammer, one of the brainiac survivors baggied his library with mothballs and insect spray and sank the whole library in his septic tank. He brought Volume 1 of "How Things Work" and when he found a safe place for sanctuary, he used the book as an advance payment on his "entry fee". The rest of the library was various versions of the encyclopedia, Foxfire Books, chemical, medical, math and engineering texts, piles of classic literature, etc.
Just thought I'd share that [rofl] it came to mind when the septic tanks were mentioned!

Wasn't he the one that died because he wouldn't take the time to produce insulin?
Kind of illustrates the value of planning ahead.

Wasn't he the one that died because he wouldn't take the time to produce insulin?
Kind of illustrates the value of planning ahead.

That was the guy. Forester?

If you re-read the book, keep Google maps / earth nearby and follow along. You might be surprised. A tremendous amount of research went into those routes.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

That was the guy. Forester?

If you re-read the book, keep Google maps / earth nearby and follow along. You might be surprised. A tremendous amount of research went into those routes.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Might do that.
I've been bemoaning the lack of any recent Niven-Pournelle books.

Back
Top Bottom