Humidity!

SKS Ray

NES Member
Just your annual reminder to protect your milsurps.

Its high humidity in my neck of the woods for the 2nd day so far this year. That time of year again when I start pulling rifles out of the vault, disassembling and wiping them down with a coat of oil under the barrel, action, etc. before putting them back together. Unprotected areas like metal below the wood line and receivers are vulnerable to corrosion once moisture sets in.

Yet one more reason not to get all that cosmolene out of a stock.[wink]

Good reminder to dry out those silica pack in the oven on low heat with the door open, too.

And mine always have an old style incandescent nightlight in the vault. Keeps them from being afraid, and a degree or two warmer than the surroundings.

ACCompressorPic.jpg

I only put my AC in the window when the humidity starts getting uncomfortable. Until then its Break Free or WD.

When we were house shopping my wife wanted central air, I wanted a garage. She won and I'm happy with that when it gets this humid [smile]. I do have a shed with a concrete floor for the bike though.

I follow Rays advise and wipe down all my firearms with a good coat of oil when the weather gets like this. I started this project last week.... I found some firearms I forgot I had....[wink]

only kidding....

Thanks Ray, I did the handguns this afternoon. I 've still got to get to the rifles. Even though I enjoy taking them out and fondling them, this is the only time I actually think I have too many guns.
then I wake up!

It's baaaaaaaack!

Ac's & dehumidifiers installed/activated.
Now if I only had the motivation to disassemble, clean & oil the kids.
Mmmmmmm maybe later. [laugh]

I have to empty the two dehumidifiers in my basement twice a day. Gotta lube the shit out of my guns before they get put away.

In my basement where I store them I have a humdifier...keeps the room at around 38% on average...around 73 degrees. No oil needed.

The dehumidifier in my basement has been running, keeping things around 55%. My plan for this evening is to go through and wipe all the kids down with a oiled rag. That and I am hosting a bachelor party at the range tomorrow and got a pin shoot on Sunday.

I've thought about that, but unfortunately we don't have any drains and we're renting the house.
We have a Delonghi DD50. It has a pump and will pump the water up to 16'. You can run the ~1/4" tube up and out of your basement if you want. ~$200. "Set it and forget it!"