• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter's Safety Class in Central MA

Anyone teach or know of someone who teaches this silly class? Looking to get my hunting license (as are a few of my buddies) and we're looking for a fair priced class.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The courses are mostly done for the year in Central Mass, 'cuz most of the volunteer instructors will be out hunting now. There's a couple of courses down by the Cape still
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

Plan ahead for next year - there's courses all over Central Mass from Jan-Sept (i.e., you just missed about 10 possible courses)

Here's some of what is covered (now matter how experienced you are you will learn something worthwhile!)

"Course instruction includes: safe handling and storage of hunting arms and ammunition, hunting laws and ethics, wildlife identification, wildlife management, care and handling of game, basic survival skills and first aid.

Upon successful completion of this course, all students will receive a graduate patch and a MA Certificate of Completion. All states in the US, Canada and Mexico recognize this government-issued certificate of completion for the purchase of a hunting or sporting (combination hunting/fishing)license.

Successful completion of the Basic Hunter Education Course fulfills the requirements established by Mass. General Law to make application to your local police for a License to Carry Firearms, or Firearms Identification Card. [Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140 Section 131 P(a)] "

The course is free, because you already paid for it with your Pittman Robertson tax, & hunting license fees

p.s. - the instructors are quite charming ;)

...Successful completion of the Basic Hunter Education Course fulfills the requirements established by Mass. General Law to make application to your local police for a License to Carry Firearms, or Firearms Identification Card. [Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140 Section 131 P(a)...] "

I did not know this. I was under the impression you needed the basic pistol course to apply for a LTC. See I learned something new before I even took the course!

well......it allows you to "Apply" to your local PD for your licence. some accept this for LTC's, some require other hoops for you to jump through too. (351 cities & towns = 351 sets of rules)

fyi - there's also a free Basic Firearms class @ the Worc. Cty Jail in West Boylston every month - call Judy @ 508-854-1800 x2442 to pre-register (from the Outdoor Message fine print)

check out the ayer club, that was where i did mine (met weed whacker there, actually). i am not sure they advertise openly but if you shoot them an email i think someone will be able to get back to you. i did mine towards the end of the year last year so it would appear that if there's good turnout they offer classes year-round.

Hamilton Rod & Gun in Sturbridge. There should be something going.

Putnam Fish & Game. They have one every month. It's good for Mass and Ct.

Bob

Bummer. Looks like just about everything is full for the season:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

What do they go over in 18 hours of classroom time?

Not much, really. Mine wasn't anything more than "this is how you don't shoot yourself/others in the face" and a smattering of laws relating to firearms discharge/hunting laws. There was almost no practical hunting instruction.

I thought it was a giant waste of time.

e: I was also one of a handful that already had a firearms license as well

You can always look into taking a class in a state that's close...like VT.

VT has a class that you take most of the class online and then do a 1 day hands on session. They still have openings for this year and the VT classes are accepted in all states.

Back
Top Bottom