I am a complete idiot....

I am soooo pissed at myself now! I've been using my new Hornady LNL progressive for a short while. I ordered all the recommended goodies a while ago but it was out for repair for a few weeks. So last night I did a batch of 9mm with 6.0 gr of Power Pistol. The press worked fine but the powder level was fluctuating a bit- 6.0 +/- .2gr which seemed like too much for me. I fiddled with the linkage to make sure it was getting a good throw, I cleaned it twice to make sure there wasn't any oil still hanging around. I had even bought the pistol rotor assemblies because several folks told me the std one didn't work good for small loads... however in my complete stupidity I finally realized the rotor that was in the powder drop wasn't the pistol rotor assembly!!!! I am a complete idiot. [angry2]

If, as I submit is surely the case, there isn't anyone on this board hasn't made at least one similar error over the years, does this make the entire board a bunch of complete idiots?

Other than an attack of the brain-fades, how do you like the LNL?

So far I'm quite pleased with it, thanks. I wish I had some experience with the blue machines to make a fair comparison. Most of the problems I've had have been pilot error- the machine has been just great. I thought the primer feed would take some getting used to but it's been perfect. The ejector wire took some tweaking but it seems to be working good now. It's really amazing how you can crank out so many rounds without even trying.

For $325 for the press which included the case activated powder drop it was a good deal. Add the 1000 45 CAL .451 230 GR HP/XTP FREE bullets and it's just a super deal! I did buy... as you know the pistol rotor assembly (needed) and the shell plates for various cartridges.

BTW -- I'm sure you did, but you did clean out the powder measure and the rotor assemblies real well with solvent to get the protectant oil off, right?

So far the only round that's given me problems with the ejector wire has been .38 Special. .40 S&W and .500 S&W all have worked well at the ejector stage.

At least you were smart enough to order the right bullets -- I now have my free 1000 10mm XTP's on eBay, trying to turn them into cash to by .45 bullets now!

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and still havn't got it set up. The instructions were for the orginal machine and not for the new updated one, having no experince at all reloading I didn't realize that was the problem.

The instructions that I had were very confusing and led you to belive that parts were missing. Also the pictures and discriptions of the machine were vague and had nothing to do with setting up the machine I recieved.

After 2 calls to Hornady they finally said oh you have the old manual and we will send you the new one.

There really is no rush I guess, because my bride in one of her crazy cleaning binges threw away all the brass I've been saving for years.

It won't take me any time at all to save up 3000 38, 1000 41mags, 500 32-20 and 5000 45's and they wonder why you drink.

Last edited:
There really is no rush I guess, because my bride in one of her crazy cleaning binges threw away all the brass I've been saving for years.

It won't take me any time at all to save up 3000 38, 1000 41mags, 500 32-20 and 5000 45's and they wonder why you drink.

Ouch! That hurts. PM me if you need help setting yours up. It really isn't too difficult.

BTW -- I'm sure you did, but you did
So far the only round that's given me problems with the ejector wire has been .38 Special. .40 S&W and .500 S&W all have worked well at the ejector stage.

Wow, really? The .38 has been perfect for me - I had problems with shorter cases like .45, .380. 32ACP, etc. There's a fix for the ejection problem - just de-burr (or file a slightly larger radius on) the back edge of each ejector slot.

You'll either need a very sharp, good quality file or a piece of aluminum oxide paper glued to a flat stick. The shellplate is hardened. Once that is smoothed out, you'll find that they eject fine.

Bugs100, feel free to PM me if you have questions during setup.

Thanks for the offer guys. I'm going to wait untill I get the new directions first and see if I can figure it out. If I'm still having problems then I'll take up your offers to help me. Thanks again for offering to help.

Back
Top Bottom