I had use the generator for the first time!

Seems to be the largest dual fuel inverter. 3285W running on Propane.

Yeah, I'm finding that dual fuel inverters go up to 4000 and then 10000 w/ nothing much in between. 4000 is not enough, 10000 is way more than I need. I'm probably going w/ a conventional DF in the 7500-8000 range. The main reason I want an inverter is because they're quiet, but there are ways to dampen the sound.

Anyone have one? 7,000 watt [running] Inverter with 240 plug, electric start with battery and wheels for $1,300. 10 hours run time on 4.2 gallons, claimed.

I have this, but I haven’t used it yet so no real world feed back. Still need to get my house wired for an interlock by my lazy electrician 😂

Kidding of course, @Palladin is a workhorse

Lost power Friday night and hooked up my small Generac 2200 for just heat
I used my streamlight lantern for light.
I figured I’d break out the big generator in the am if it was still out but wasn’t needed

Attachments

• 9C3FAFCA-2AD5-4E52-A667-3D6645E933B5.jpeg
    9C3FAFCA-2AD5-4E52-A667-3D6645E933B5.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 16
  • A3BEC929-3B7C-4E65-A9D9-57683F5DDE5B.jpeg
    A3BEC929-3B7C-4E65-A9D9-57683F5DDE5B.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2879C981-72E6-4251-8906-FA701EB7401C.jpeg
    2879C981-72E6-4251-8906-FA701EB7401C.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 16
In NH we have line power, a Kohler propane generator, and because “Two is one and one is none,” a Honda EU2000i.

Got up here at 7pm to beat the snow. Wrong: 3-4” already. Porch light didn’t come on. Generator not running. Interior was 40° so power outage must have been fairly recent.

Kohler display is blank. Maybe it’s just a dead battery. But NHEC says power to house is on.

This EU2000i has never been used, so had to fill the oil and gas. No start. Seems there must be a high oil sensor as well as low. Drained a couple tablespoons and it started right up.

We have a Rinnai propane wall heater so along with cranking up the wood stove have everything I need except well water, and we store 12 gallons of drinking water.

Update: NHEC called and suggested resetting the main breaker. Did that and power seems to be back to normal.

Last edited:
In NH we have line power, a Kohler propane generator, and because “Two is one and one is none,” a Honda EU2000i.

Got up here at 7pm to beat the snow. Wrong: 3-4” already. Porch light didn’t come on. Generator not running. Interior was 40° so power outage must have been fairly recent.

Kohler display is blank. Maybe it’s just a dead battery. But NHEC says power to house is on.

This EU2000i has never been used, so had to fill the oil and gas. No start. Seems there must be a high oil sensor as well as low. Drained a couple tablespoons and it started right up.

We have a Rinnai propane wall heater so along with cranking up the wood stove have everything I need except well water, and we store 12 gallons of drinking water.

Update: NHEC called and suggested resetting the main breaker. Did that and power seems to be back to normal.
do you have the 'winter kit' for the battery & oil pan ?

do you have the 'winter kit' for the battery & oil pan ?
Don‘t think so, the dealer was absolutely adamant the battery heater was not required. Additional excitement was they were supposed to service the unit and replace the battery last fall. But because they were short-handed, they never got here and I forgot to pester them.

Line power went off again at 11:30am. Sitting here with the little Honda running the wall heater, lights and internet isn’t bad.

Been on our Harbor Freight 14K generator now for about 3 hours .... with this storm ...
(Got it about 7 years ago. No longer sold by them). We can run the entire house on it.

It's on an electrician installed interlock set up, in a vented enclosure, with battery start up (battery is kept on a trickle charger, with a new back-up battery stored in the house).

Last edited:
Don‘t think so, the dealer was absolutely adamant the battery heater was not required. Additional excitement was they were supposed to service the unit and replace the battery last fall. But because they were short-handed, they never got here and I forgot to pester them.

Line power went off again at 11:30am. Sitting here with the little Honda running the wall heater, lights and internet isn’t bad.
Find a new dealer or somebody else to service it you absolutely should have winter package

In harsh winter conditions a battery is good for 2yrs tops. With the heater, you get another year out of it.

Get the heater, it's a simple install

The electrician came on Tuesday and set up a real transfer switch. I will have heat, water, lights and wall plugs in all the rooms we need it in, now supplied in a code-compliant (and very convenient) manner. I still need to make a 120V cord that plugs into the 240V outlet outside the house so I can run the oil heat blower on my smaller generator.

So what are the options for electric heaters for inside the house Do you guys recommend?
I have a Lasko infrared, which looks like one of those Eden pure ones , I’ve had it for the last probably 10-12 years and it works great but just looking at having another back up.
I use it sometimes in the basement when I have friends over to watch UFC and keeps it at 70
It’s at a friends house now because his boiler broke and couldn’t have it fixed for a few days so it’s in his basement now

Attachments

• DE726295-9D35-458F-A1CE-DB7AFE2E9FE8.jpeg
    DE726295-9D35-458F-A1CE-DB7AFE2E9FE8.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 10
Our house has gas fired steam heat. No pumps, just steam and gravity. No electronics at all in the system, it powers its own gas valve and circuit through the thermostat with a giant thermoelectric junction in the pilot light (millivolt thermopile), which used to be standard back before all this newfangled electronics. Having huge pilot flame also keeps the hardware inside warm and prevents things from getting corroded during summer when furnace doesn't run for months at a time.

When we had the system replaced a few years ago I had to hunt around far and wide to find a contractor who could just put in a new thermoelectric circuit that used no electronics. Some said they couldn't do it, they insisted on some complex controller, others said you should have an electronic valve in the exhaust to avoid losing warm air when furnace is off. I said no, I want this thing to just run on gas, no dependency on line voltage. I have a Wifi thermostat that needs line power, but have a good old fashioned mercury bimetallic thermostat in parallel for backup. I don't care if it's not as efficient as modern technology, it's one less point of failure, if the power is out, as long as there's natural gas coming into the house, we have heat. And I suspect if power is out a long time, like the blizard of '78, most people's houses won't have their heating systems working at all, so less draw on the city distribution and more natural gas for me, and the natural gas pumping stations can run their turbines from gas to generate their own power.

Mechanic is here now so here’s a “Gotcha.”

Neither the installing dealer nor electrician labeled the “Generator Charge Circuit” breaker. So when my son and his buddies visited, someone shut it off.

Battery lasted about a week, then went dead.

There may be other issues but in the meantime: 051B2B6A-B6FC-4358-8B70-A54517C8744B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom