I have to do it - Show me your K98's

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I can resist no longer [smile]. Having made several posts of my K98's and their goings on, I'd like to know what others are out there in the area. Those who have followed my posts know I have four; 1935 S/42G-Obendorf, 1940 147/Suhl, 1943 SS bnz/Steyr, and 1944 DOT/Czech-Brunn. The 1944 was my first, paying $100 for it in 1995. We can save the Mauser variants for another time! For those who have read my other postings, pardon the repeated information for those who haven't.

1935 S/42G-Obendorf
s42g1.jpg

s42g2.jpg

s42g5.jpg

1935 Mauser Geweher K98 8mm ‘S/42G’ (Mauser/Obendorf) #6600c, Russian capture and rework. 20 Waffenamts remain from Mauser/Obendorf: S42G/K155 (receiver and barrel), 135 (rear sight ramp), 63/S42G rear sight leaf, slide, cross bolt, bolt take down lug, rear guard bolt, bayonet lug, hinged muzzle cover, and 211 (front band spring); also Berlin-Suhler-Waffen 4 (trigger), Gustloff-Werke 1 (extractor), Offenbach 868 (front guard bolt), and Erma 280 (bolt body and rear sight spring). Three matching numbers on action; barrel, receiver, and front sight. Bolt body, bolt shroud, bolt handle, and cocking piece electro-pencil forced matched. Stock is a walnut 1938 Mauser/Obendorf, non Russian capture (Norwegian), refinished (Tung oil), pre-war light pattern, with Weimar eagles, flat butt plate, 10” cleaning rod, and take-down lug. Nine matching numbers on stock: forearm, hand guard, butt plate, upper and lower bands, floor plate, trigger guard, follower, and bayonet lug, #965; all parts are machined with WaA63 Waffenamts. Arsenal rebluing near 95% although flat and speckled, has original capture screws, reproduction sling, and reproduction cleaning rod. Wooden plug or cross bolt repair under bolt handle is well done. Barrel light, no pitting, very good. Import marked, TGI, Knox, TN.

1940 147/Suhl
1940.jpg

1940 Mauser Geweher K98 8mm ‘147’ (Sühl, J.P. Sauer/Son) #5208g. Arsenal refinished Mitchell Mauser, Premium grade, with certificate of provenance. Eleven matching number machined parts: barrel and receiver, bolt shroud, safety, bolt, cocking piece, upper and lower bands, sight leaf, trigger guard, and floor plate). All Waffenamts are 37/Suhl except where noted; reproduction sling, original cleaning rod and original WWII German hinged muzzle cover with Waffenamt WaA33/Suhl. Other Waffenamts: Suhl 214 (extractor ring and bolt stop), Mauser/Obendorf 63 (take down lug/trigger) 655 (sear), and Walther 359 (receiver, sight leaf and slide). Flat butt plate early pattern laminated stock, with weak “H” (Heer) stamp, and bolt take down lug. Blue finish 99%. Barrel is dark with minimal pitting, good. Import marked, Mitchell Mauser, CA.

1943 SS bnz/Steyr
bnz2.jpg

bnz8.jpg

bnz7.jpg

1943 Mauser Geweher K98 8mm ‘bnz’ (Steyr/Daimler/Puch) #8301, Russian capture and rework. SS (Schutzstaffel or “shield-squadron”) proof marked “SSZZA4” (SS Zentral Zeugamt 4 or SS Central Ordinance Depot No.4) on rare Astrawerke “I” marked receiver, and "S" proof rune on the trigger guard (indicates slave labor from the Mauthausen concentration camp complex at Gusen, a SS run subassembly line to the Steyr factory). Sixteen parts remain from Steyr manufacture; WaA623 (Steyr): receiver, barrel, rear sight ramp, cross bolt, stock, handguard, upper band, bayonet lug, and WaA77 (Radom, Poland, with Steyr supervision): rear sight leaf, floorplate, bolt shroud, upper band, bolt stop, and cocking piece. Three matching numbers on action; cleaning rod, barrel, and receiver; bolt and trigger guard are electro-penciled forced matched. The sight hood is a correct original (Steyr variant is lower and wider). Stock is a walnut 1940 Steyr, non Russian capture (Norwegian), refinished (Tung oil), mid war heavy pattern “M” marked (Kriegsmarine), with cupped butt plate and take-down lug. Matching numbers on stock, handguard, upper and lower bands, and bayonet lug #7484. Cupped butt plate is marked “bpr” and WaA497 (Johannes Grossfuss, Metal-u., Locierwarenfabrik; Doebeln, Saxony). There are five other Waffenamt codes: Suhl 37 (extractor claw), Erma 280 (follower), Berlin-Lubecker or Suhl 214 (firing pin), Berlin-Suhler-Waffen 1 (sight slide), and Berlin 18 (band spring). Original sling (leather pad missing from buckle, frosch marked WaA101; manufactured by Auwaerter or Koffer Lederwarenfabrik, Stuttgart), original cleaning rod, original capture screws, and original German rubber muzzle cover. Original German blued finish better than 90%. Barrel medium, very slight pitting, about good. Import marked, R Guns, Carpentersville, IL.

1944 DOT/Czech-Brunn
1944.jpg

1944 Geweher K98 8mm Mauser ‘DOT’ (Czech/Waffenwerke Brunn), #37762a. Reproduction sling, original sight hood, original late war cleaning rod, and original German rubber muzzle cover. All stamped late war parts; five numbers match on stock #37762: receiver, butt plate, floor plate, trigger, and trigger guard, and five separate matching numbers on bolt #4841with Waffenamt 37/Suhl: bolt shroud, bolt, cocking piece, firing pin, and extractor. Replacement barrel #240155 (WaA55/Mauser Obendorf, also WaA135 front band). Probable East German post-war rework, with addition of stock and lower band sling swivels. Refinished (Tung oil) cupped butt plate laminated semi-Kriegsmodel stock (with non-numbered Waffenamt), and bolt take down lug delete. Blue finish 50-90%. Barrel semi-bright, very slight pitting, about good. Import marked, Ringefield, NJ.

MajSpud

Last edited:
We could have traded stocks after my refurbishment; I have a mid war laminate WaA135 Obendorf on auction on ebay (byf is Mauser Obendorf).

MajSpud

Based on the stock, you have a pre-war or early war light pattern, it would probably take a 10" rod. The way to confirm this is to dismount the barrel and look in the stock channel. If you see the cleaning rod lug level with the lower band, you have a 10" rod, if the lug is lower down, you have a 12.5" rod. Most reproductions are the wrong threads. You're better off finding an original 10", they're expensive, now running between $105 and $135. You can get a cheap repro that you can turn just a thread or two to hold it, but not all the way and risk the threads on the cleaning rod lug. I bought my 10" from egunparts.com for $15 for my S/42G and it actually threaded with very little resistance, once I had the lug properly seated.

MajSpud

Lets see how long PB lets me host this pic before it violates their TOS again.[rolleyes]

Its a bring back SVW MB with flag that I got off an old timer who bought them and some dress bayonets back from Germany when he came home at the end of the war.
Its mint inside and out and everything matches. I don't even shoot it, its a safe queen.

k98.jpg

I've got a Czech K98 but don't have pics of it. I really should take some because its mint too.

Only other one I have is a Yugo K98 that still has plenty of eagles intact.

YugoK98a.jpg

Last edited:
where did you get that flag ray? lol. is it original or repro?

Its original, every color is made of stitched sections of material.

The old timer that bought back the rifle also bought back the flag and 2 dress bayonets. I sold one of the bayonets a while back.

Gustloffwerke (337 code) of 1939
K98k_337.jpg
Sauer & Sohn S/147 of 1936
rechts-1.jpg
Mauser byf 41 Norwegian .30-06 conversion
byf41NorwegenR.jpg
Mauser S/42 k of 1934, one of the first 7,500 K98k ever built
S42K.jpg
Brno dot 43
K98k_dot43.jpg
Steyr bnz.43 w/ single rune
bnz43l.jpg
Besides these there are a bnz.41, S/42 1937, svw MB 1945 (made under French occupancy after WW II), 1937 & 1941 Portuguese and 3 Kar.98a Erfurt of 1909, 1915 & 1917.

lol....
Oops, forgot the Mauser Standard, predecessor of the K98k....
Whenever I'm finished re-organizing the bunker downstairs I need
to take some family pics[smile]

OK, make fun of me. Finally got to the range and put 60 rounds out of the S/42G and the bnz43. I guess I'm not done with the refurbishment; in the sunlight after all had dried, I noticed streaks of shellac I had missed. I'll strip them down and get the rest of the shellac this week.

I still dream of owning an example of each manufacturer and year of production; so I'm about 4 for 12 now. I would also really like a G43, and a Danish M89 Krag; the latter is more affordable.

MajSpud

"M" stamp

I finally figured out the "M" stamp of my new Steyr/WaA623/77 stock. "H" Heer, is Army, "L" for Luftwaffe, and "M" for Kriegsmarine. Steyr also made K98's for the Navy. I guess its not totally correct for a SS action to be in a Navy stock, but I wonder how much rarer a Navy stock is over an Army stock. Perhaps that is why it is Walnut; maybe salt air/moisture affected laminated stocks differently.

bnz3.jpg

bnz8.jpg

MajSpud

When I registered the svw MB last week (we must....[angry]) I've mentioned to the guy at the local authority something like "Now, that I have one of the very first and one of the very last K98k's made by Mauser, I'm only missing some 5 million pieces in between". He gave me a funny look[smile]

Here's my BNZ44. Has a Rune under the barrel. It's a SS contract rifle that was assembled at the KZ Mauthausen-GUSEN Concentration Camp in Austria.
k98-2.jpg

k98-3.jpg

k98rune.jpg

Last edited:
1940 243 (Mauser AG Borsigwalde)
Non import. All matching except for the bolt (which matches itself)
Original sling and 41 made AGV Bayonet
Luftwaffe marked stock

1.jpg

1DSCN1541.jpg

1DSCN1529.jpg

Bayo2.jpg

Been in the collection for close to 30 years and was the first Milsurp which started me into collecting as a hobby with my father. Even as I find myself slowly getting out of collecting and more into shooting will be one I will always keep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom