I introduced myself above, but am doing so here in a new thread

Hey everyone!

I am a 25 year old Special Education teacher who lives in Attleboro, MA. I just took the BFSC last weekend and have an appointment for an interview at the Attleboro Police Department next week.

I searched through the archives and found some good info, but was curious as to the general consensus on Attleboro? Green town? likely to restrict town? This will be my first license, I have a clean record except for non-criminal driving infractions.

Also, will the fact that Im an educator hurt me in the application process? If you ask me, it should have no bearing on this, but with MA, lord only knows.

Im ridiculously excited either way, and cannot WAIT to get this process finished!

Welcome and Best of luck on the application process.

I cannot comment on Attleboro myself as I don't have that knowledge.
I would not think being an educator would have any bearing at all either.

The only reference I could find was : http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8703

Says North Attleboro is green but did not read through the entire thread to see if Attleboro got listed... might be worth sifting through it.

Last edited:
You are more likely to be hurt professionally by your gun ownership, then your profession is likely to hurt your chances of gun ownership.

Good luck with your interview and remember to keep your mouth shut at work! (no I’m not a teacher)

Edit: You are likely to have 3 to 6 or more weeks to wait before you receive your LTC. Also, ask for a Class "A" unrestricted.
Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
You are more likely to be hurt professionally by your gun ownership, then your profession is likely to hurt your chances of gun ownership.

Good luck with your interview and remember to keep your mouth shut at work! (no I’m not a teacher)

Respectfully,

jkelly

two of my coworkers are avid gun folk and compete regularly. I tend to keep quiet at work about personal stuff as it is, but my two coworkers know as do some others. Its a pretty interesting group.

But yes, Im not going to sit there and run my mouth about guns all day long and what Im planning to purchase and such.

thanks for the advice!

-G

Edit: You are likely to have 3 to 6 or more weeks to wait before you receive your LTC. Also, ask for a Class "A" unrestricted.
Respectfully,

jkelly

all my paperwork is in, and I checked off "Class A License to carry firearms large capacity"

yeah, the PD said it would be about a 4 week turnaround after the interview before it was ll aready for me.

Hey everyone!

I am a 25 year old Special Education teacher who lives in Attleboro, MA. I just took the BFSC last weekend and have an appointment for an interview at the Attleboro Police Department next week.

I searched through the archives and found some good info, but was curious as to the general consensus on Attleboro? Green town? likely to restrict town? This will be my first license, I have a clean record except for non-criminal driving infractions.

Also, will the fact that Im an educator hurt me in the application process? If you ask me, it should have no bearing on this, but with MA, lord only knows.

Im ridiculously excited either way, and cannot WAIT to get this process finished!

Are you the same BostonAsphalt on the Audi forums that used to have an Audi and now has a new-ish 3 series bimmer? I remember that BostonAsphalt to have been in the comp-sci field though... so maybe not. [grin]

regardless... I know your excitement and hope you don't have to wait long!

Good luck and welcome, I hope you dont get any restrictions like myself I am a class A T&H only in my great city. Let us know how you make out. [wink]

Are you the same BostonAsphalt on the Audi forums that used to have an Audi and now has a new-ish 3 series bimmer? I remember that BostonAsphalt to have been in the comp-sci field though... so maybe not. [grin]

regardless... I know your excitement and hope you don't have to wait long!

hah YES, I am. I switched out of electrical engineering after two years, changed to Liberal Arts and got my degree in Spanish. THEN I found myself working in an afterschool program with special needs children and then in a fulltime Special Educator position.

two of my coworkers are avid gun folk and compete regularly. I tend to keep quiet at work about personal stuff as it is, but my two coworkers know as do some others. Its a pretty interesting group.

But yes, Im not going to sit there and run my mouth about guns all day long and what Im planning to purchase and such.

thanks for the advice!

-G

Then again, you could start a shooting club or team at your school. Think about it.

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to NES.

Then again, you could start a shooting club or team at your school. Think about it.

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to NES.

the thought had crossed my mind, however many of them are from RI and have out of state MA licenses, which is nice, but applying for an out of state RI license is supposed to be a giant PITA.

We do plan to go shooting, but it has to be somewhere here in MA

hah YES, I am. I switched out of electrical engineering after two years, changed to Liberal Arts and got my degree in Spanish. THEN I found myself working in an afterschool program with special needs children and then in a fulltime Special Educator position.

Sup man!

The internet has really reduced the world to a virtual "neighborhood" nowadays. You're bound to see someone sometime even on a completely different "street" :)

Dude... have you been keeping up with the meets? I haven't for a couple of years. hehe... anyway... hope all is well with you.

I got my license this past March... but live in Cambridge so it's an LTC A Restricted to Target&Hunting. Better than nothing I suppose. [thinking]

Let me know when you get your license and if you want to go shooting sometime. I'm a member at Mass Rifle.

H

Sup man!

The internet has really reduced the world to a virtual "neighborhood" nowadays. You're bound to see someone sometime even on a completely different "street" :)

Dude... have you been keeping up with the meets? I haven't for a couple of years. hehe... anyway... hope all is well with you.

I got my license this past March... but live in Cambridge so it's an LTC A Restricted to Target&Hunting. Better than nothing I suppose. [thinking]

Let me know when you get your license and if you want to go shooting sometime. I'm a member at Mass Rifle.

H

Not too much man! I have sort of lost touch over there unfortunately.One of the old AW guys actually got me hooked on this, and so I took the course at American Firearms School in Plainville. Even when I get my license, I wont be able to afford owning a gun for a while (my bass playing takes the driver seat for my hobby fund [grin]) but I would still love to go shooting sometime.

you have email? if so, PM it to me so we can keep in touch!

Bostonasphalt2: First welcome to the forum and the shooting community, you will find a lot of good info here as well as a lot of good people.

As for Attleboro, I have found them to be easy to deal with, and will issue unrestricted Class A ltc's with no hassles. When I had mine renewed this summer, the issuing SGT checked of "for employment only" I called him, and he looked up the application, and said " I screwed up, sorry about that" and had a new one reissued.

If you have any further questions feel free to drop me a line.

You are more likely to be hurt professionally by your gun ownership, then your profession is likely to hurt your chances of gun ownership.jkelly

Tell me about it!! I am a Clinical Psychologist in private practice (30 years+), LTC class A in MA, NRA and GOAL member, and a staunch conservative (neither Republican nor Democrat, but Unenrolled). If my colleagues knew any of this, I truly believe that I would be "drummed out of the corp." I would be extremely foolish to tell them that I have a LTC -- most of them would think that I have a mental disorder, and I have little doubt that the vast majority of those in my field are very liberal, and anti-gun ownership, despite the second amendment.

When you are in private practice, you depend on referrals from colleagues, prior and present patients, and to a lesser extent directories on insurance web sites. I think that my referrals would dry up if the above were known. My practice is successful -- I am a good therapist -- but sadly, political persuasion is a non-discussed factor in all of this. I am sure that this is the case in many other professions as well, and here in MA, being a conservative gun owner will not get you any points [frown].

Back
Top Bottom