I want a big bore Lever gun, Marlin or Henry?

Or, if you really want big:

m89-500-sw-mag-rifle.jpg

.500 Smith & Wesson Magnum. Built on a custom machined receiver based on a mix of Winchester 1886 and 1892 models (Browning designs) but large and sturdy enough for the full magnum loads. A lever gun that can handle anything that walks the earth. Heaviest loads for the .500 come close to the energy of the famed .375 H&H. Of course, you can load light for lesser game. Comes in an 18" carbine with a 7 round mag or 22" barrel rifle with a 5 round mag.

Big Horn Armory

Only down side is the year+ backorder. Oh, yea, and the pricetag. Well, whadda expect for a handmade rifle?

Does anyone make upgraded sights for the Henry? I see they changed the magazine and mount to fix the bending / breaking issue but it looks like the no longer have the XS rear sight.... Unfortunately it looks like there is no rail like the XS / Marlin is available either

Does anyone make upgraded sights for the Henry? I see they changed the magazine and mount to fix the bending / breaking issue but it looks like the no longer have the XS rear sight.... Unfortunately it looks like there is no rail like the XS / Marlin is available either

I think the best sights for the henry are skinner peep sights. That's what I used before I mounted a scope.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
I got them in brass to match the rifle.
They make a receiver mounted peep and a barrel mounted peep. I got the barrel mounted peep. No experience with the receiver mounted peep but it looks like it should work well.

Last edited:
I had an 1886 Browning/Winchester 28" barrel 10 rds and with curved steel butt plate and as a mentioned with stiff loads it kills on both ends. There is a you tube video on the Henry and as I recall it was steel and the poster thought very highly of the rifle.

Got to compare the Henry 45-70 (steel receiver) and the JM Marlin and a Remlin side by side.... No way on the Remlin. I really liked the JM Marlin guide gun, but I noticed a few issues... Canted rear sight, loose screw... Made me a bit hesitant. Price for the new Henry is less than the used marlin and the New Henry is noticeably smoother in terms of the action and it still has a warranty through a company that exists.

I shouldn't even be considering a purchase, but I may just take something down to trade in on the Henry. I'm pretty impressed, although I was just in a store.

Back
Top Bottom