I want to build / restore a GEW 88

I'm thinking of buying this pile of junky, crappy GEW 88s for cheap money.
Figure it'll be a good way to practice assembly & gunsmithing, etc & I'd like to restore / build a nice shooter.

These are commonly always sold without a bolt head so I'm looking for sources for this part & some tips / reccomendations for build.

Basically I'll take the dozen tomato stakes & unassemble them, clean off the parts & see what's good & what's junk then try to build a good shooter out of the good parts. I suppose I'll find a stock blank, buy a bolt or bolt head & I gather the barrel will be sent to a professional.

Anyone here build there own 1888

I am in the process right now. I bought 3 of them and got luck as all three are restoreable. I am going to rebuild one and part out the rest. The hardest thing to find are the bolt heads, extractor and ejector. Those alone will cost you over $100. There is a fellow that is making new ones. He goes by Swedenelson on the surplusrifle.com forum. If you are interested in any parts IM and we can talk. From what I have read the ones that are out now are truly bottom of the barrel. If you are looking for a project than these are a fun and reasonable project. If you are looking for something that will be a collector than your best bet is to find one already whole.

I am in the process right now. I bought 3 of them and got luck as all three are restoreable. I am going to rebuild one and part out the rest. The hardest thing to find are the bolt heads, extractor and ejector. Those alone will cost you over $100. There is a fellow that is making new ones. He goes by Swedenelson on the surplusrifle.com forum. If you are interested in any parts IM and we can talk. From what I have read the ones that are out now are truly bottom of the barrel. If you are looking for a project than these are a fun and reasonable project. If you are looking for something that will be a collector than your best bet is to find one already whole.

I've found several that are whole, but the prices people are asking seem excessive for non matching & found one that was chinese too

Here is the only source for the repro parts that I can find:
http://www.gunloads.com/fam/swedenelson/album2.htm

You are looking at $150 for just the three missing bolt parts. No price on the stocks yet but I guess you are looking at a couple hundred for a repro. If you have to have any barrel work done that is going to be expensive unless you do it yourself.

I did this with the 71/84s that CFS had a few months ago. What a mistake. I ended up buying a decent shooter from gunbroker.com and hope to recoup some of my money by selling the parts from the junkers.

I am having a lot better luck with the Gew 88s. I got 3 from CFS. All more or less intact with decent stocks and barrel shrouds. They all came with bolts that were only missing the above pieces. I now have a big pile of parts patiently awaiting the parts washer. I think I can build a good shooter for about $200 and make most of that back selling the unused parts.

Unless you get very lucky with the ones that CFS is selling now I am willing to bet you will be into one for about $400 after buying all the parts.

Here is the only source for the repro parts that I can find:
http://www.gunloads.com/fam/swedenelson/album2.htm

You are looking at $150 for just the three missing bolt parts. No price on the stocks yet but I guess you are looking at a couple hundred for a repro. If you have to have any barrel work done that is going to be expensive unless you do it yourself.

I did this with the 71/84s that CFS had a few months ago. What a mistake. I ended up buying a decent shooter from gunbroker.com and hope to recoup some of my money by selling the parts from the junkers.

I am having a lot better luck with the Gew 88s. I got 3 from CFS. All more or less intact with decent stocks and barrel shrouds. They all came with bolts that were only missing the above pieces. I now have a big pile of parts patiently awaiting the parts washer. I think I can build a good shooter for about $200 and make most of that back selling the unused parts.

Unless you get very lucky with the ones that CFS is selling now I am willing to bet you will be into one for about $400 after buying all the parts.

Yes, it is CFS I am looking at, but then I found a place selling 5 for $75, but the pic of them there was horrible, with missing buttstock, etc.. now I forget name of place because I did not save link. I think I'll just buy a whole one.. I found a couple here & there for $100.. I'm waiting though.,,, a show is coming up this weekend.. who knows, maybe I'll find one. I'd like a 71/84 too.

All CFS has is the box of parts. OWS has another deal going but you will pay more in shipping.

There was a Gew 88 for sale at Kittery Trading Post for 195 a couple of weeks ago. It looked like it had been through about 50 wars. The stock was all beat up and the bolt looked wire brushed. I think it was one of the South American ones Gibbs put together.

The 71/84 is pretty neat. I still havent gotten around to finishing that project and I still need to load for it but it is definitely a great piece of history.

I ended up just buying this one.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7958396

I hope it has cleaning rod.. it says complete, but I don't see it in the pic

He had a 71/84 parts gun for $115 but someone snatched it the same second I was looking at it. :(

Are any 88 parts interchangeable with 71/84

Ah,, yes.. OWS was the one with the 5 pack.. but the description & pic are scary,, not sure if it's worth it or not?

Looks good. It appears to be a cleaned up early one from CFS. No bolt head which means no extractor and ejector as well. You are also missing the rear sight slider. No chance at a cleaning rod as none were sent with these. As long as the barrel is good that is an easy one to restore. I do not believe that any of the 71//84 parts are interchangeable.

well, I just picked up a 5 pack of relic condition parts guns as well as a 71/84 six pack of relics.. I think I was just being stupid.. I bought 11 junk guns & could have bought another nice finn m39, lol.. But I want to take them apart & tinker & bring something back to life. I think it's going to be fun.

Well, got my 2 that I'm going to restore.

6czd72s.jpg

I went to KTP & the one they have there is F'd up & IMO the one's I have a far better shape, & cheaper too. [grin]

& here's the pile of junk that came in from OWS
6270pqr.jpg
[crying]

Wow... break out the Kroil and steel wool.
At least you can always save some of the stock wood for making repairs.

I think these will be my practice pieces, so I can practice bluing & various metalwork like polishing, etc.

If any of the barrels are good, I'll save em, but figure I can use the junk ones to practice reaming & other barrel tasks, etc.

As far as the wood goes, I figure I can use em to learn how to splice & repair, re-finish, etc..

On another note, I suppose I have enough parts to make a custom bubba if I find a complete bolt.

well, I cleaned everything up on one that I started. Polished all the bright parts, & re-blued all the blue parts with perma blue. Fixed a crack in the stock with some gorilla glue & re-finished the stock with true oil & she's coming along great. On the one I started, everything is matching #s except the bolt. I decided to leave the dings & little dents in the stock & only lightly sanded it.

Once everything dries up I'll take some pics.

Back
Top Bottom