• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Icom 7300 vs 746 pro

Knob Creek

NES Member
Been saving for a 7300. They are now about $1,000 after rebate. Someone offering to sell me a 746 Pro with antenna and accessories. How do those two compare?

Been saving for a 7300. They are now about $1,000 after rebate. Someone offering to sell me a 746 Pro with antenna and accessories. How do those two compare?

There's not a chance in hell I would take a 746 Pro over a 7300.

The only upshot of a 746 Pro is you get vhf etc. Other than that its not in the same league.

@Knob Creek one thing I really like about the 7300 is its a very well "curated" product. There are very few things that it "does poorly" given its price point, and the package is very well put together. About the only thing I feel you have to do to the box is unlock the thing (I don't like the FCC telling me what to do, they can FOAD, I unlock every radio I buy) and do the mic mod to make the microphone a little more spicy, but neither of those things are a big deal. The best part of the radio is the digital noise blanker is incredible. You can adjust its attack pattern etc, its easy to set it up in a way that it doesnt disort the desired signals.

There's not a chance in hell I would take a 746 Pro over a 7300.

The only upshot of a 746 Pro is you get vhf etc. Other than that its not in the same league.
+1
@Knob Creek one thing I really like about the 7300 is its a very well "curated" product. There are very few things that it "does poorly" given its price point, and the package is very well put together. About the only thing I feel you have to do to the box is unlock the thing (I don't like the FCC telling me what to do, they can FOAD, I unlock every radio I buy) and do the mic mod to make the microphone a little more spicy, but neither of those things are a big deal. The best part of the radio is the digital noise blanker is incredible. You can adjust its attack pattern etc, its easy to set it up in a way that it doesnt disort the desired signals.
+1

I'm a Yaesu guy for no reason other than that's what I have. I want a second shack so I can justify a 7300.

+1 for the 7300, all day everyday.

Back
Top Bottom