IDPA rules question - thumb safety

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up a Browning Hi-Power clone. One thing I'll do with it is shoot IDPA. But, the original Hi-Power comes with a flat sliding safey, not a lever like a 1911. Later Hi-Powers had a lever like this. So, I figure that's a legal modification -- just like the extended mag and slide release controls on a Glock.

What do y'all think?

-= chuck

I think ESP would allow that.

Spot on:

ESP:

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:
A. Be semi-automatic.
B. Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 43 oz., including an empty magazine.
D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8.” with an empty magazine inserted.
E. Be loaded to the division capacity of ten (10) rounds in the magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine capacity, load should be to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the competition (Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match).
Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP depending upon caliber, even if the pistol in question has a full-length dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber.
PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).
4. Internal reliability work.
5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.
6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.
7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.
8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.
9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less.
11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.
12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop).
13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.
14. Custom finishes.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I'm so used to shootin SSP I forgot to look lower down in the PDf for the different rules for ESP!

have a wonderful wet weekend,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom