Ile de Moorea French Polynesia is on now 20 meters

JDL

NES Member
French Polynesia is on 20meters 14.197 right now 11:54 EST 59 into MA. I just made contact 100 watts and a wire.
Just a heads up I hope some of you read this in time and make the contact.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I have high noise on 160, 80 and 40 right now. 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 are very quiet. 40 will clear up in a month I hope 40 always seems to get better in fall and winter. What are you running for HF equipment and what is your antenna situation. You can check me out on QRZ N1HM

One day I put my radio on a 12V battery and threw the house's main disconnect. The noise on 20m went from S7 to S0. I've identified 5 breakers in the panel that will significantly raise the noise when they are on. So I have a bunch of noise generators in the house to hunt down and fix. We plan on being here for another 6+ years so it would be worth the effort, but I see it as being a big, big project to find and kill a lot of the noise generators.

5 breakers? Each one separately will create noise? Can you isolate the obvious devices? There is also some information on the internet about certain brands of breakers causing noise, also what is your grounding like? Not your radio grounding your house electrical grounding. Is this an older house with an older electrical service? S-8 would really suck I know I have almost that on 40 right now, so I don't even use 40. I have always had real high noise on 80 and 160, however I don't use those frequencies all that often especially considering that you get spurned for being a no-code extra.

It's an older house that has a fairly long ground cable (about 20') going from the panel to the water pipe's entry. I don't think it's the house's grounding, but anything is possible. I've isolated a couple devices, but I think I've got a bunch. I also suspect my Verizon FiOS system is one of the major culprits, but I haven't gone through the "unplug everything until it goes away" process yet. I think it will be a big job to quiet this place down.

Very good reading on RFI http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf by Jim Brown K9YC

Start with wall-warts, fairly common and dirty emitters.

It's an older house that has a fairly long ground cable (about 20') going from the panel to the water pipe's entry. I don't think it's the house's grounding, but anything is possible. I've isolated a couple devices, but I think I've got a bunch. I also suspect my Verizon FiOS system is one of the major culprits, but I haven't gone through the "unplug everything until it goes away" process yet. I think it will be a big job to quiet this place down.

Very good reading on RFI http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf by Jim Brown K9YC

Start with wall-warts, fairly common and dirty emitters.
66-pages? Oh holly crap. I knew this wasn't going to be a small project [laugh]
And with wife and 2 kids in the house, spending several hours with most of the house's breakers off doesn't get a warm reception.
That actually looks like a good read. Thanks!

Haha yeah theres alot. Covers both transmitted and received RFI though. His page has a lot of information on all kinds of topics. Another good reference is stuff from Chuck Counselman, W1HIS.

-Matt

Back
Top Bottom